• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

First sauce

Hi all

I've been lurking and learning for close to a year. Salsa is something I've made for several years but finally made my first sauce today. I'm waiting on several plants worth of ghosts and habs to ripen, but figured I've got enough red tai chilli so might as well experiment.

2 cups tai chilli peppers whole (approx 150)
4 cloves roasted garlic
2 navel oranges (including peels)
1 cup water
1 cup Tequila
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup blue agave nectar

All went into the vita-mix and blended smooth.
Brought to a boil and simmered for about 30 minutes. I then blended in about 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum to thicken a little and jarred. PH tested at 3.8

Desire was a semi-hot sauce for wings/chicken.

Result? Not bad. Next time I'll ditch the water and add more oranges for the flavour I was going for.

Any and all comments are certainly welcome.

Really love the sound of that should be delicious. I like to use carrots to sweeten roast then add to hot sauce to finish. Doesn't change flavor and adds nice color. Did one similar but smoked peppers with pecan wood. Nice mild smoke great on everything. :) post some pictures would love to see it.

Roast your orange/lime halfs with your veggies yes,ditch the lime juice and use the real deal
Citrus oil is not found in "made from concentrate" juices
Less ACV and more agave

My $.0¼

TNKS throwing good info imo.

For myself:  I cut the peels from the final batch and bump up the orange count from initial batch.  Final result should be a flavor profile in your wheelhouse cloose.   ;)

Back