• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning first shot at cloning! Writeup is up!

So I built a 5 gal. bucket cloner like the ones in the cannabis forums and tried it with peppers and it works!

IMG-20130615-WA0016.jpg

20130613_182755.jpg

TS CARDI,@ 9 days.

IMG-20130625-WA0000.jpg

A couple drops of superthrive and tap water, nothing else.

, Walter

As promised.

So here's what I did. I didn't have anything laying around so I had to buy everything.

Here's what I used:

-fountain pump 155 gph. (Lowes) $20
-5ft. Of 1/2 inch pvc (Lowes) $3
-sprinkler tip 360º (plantworld) $.89
-5gal. Bucket (I had already)
-male threaded fitting for 1/2 inch pvc (Lowes) $.30 I think.
-teflon (don't remember $)
-(8) net pots with neoprene inserts (given to me)

I hope some of the pics help. I don't have pics of the piping part but I'll explain it the best I can and I'll take pics when I take it apart to clean.

First I put the piping together. The pump came with an adapter to hook up 1/2" piping, and it didn't so I had to:

-lightly grind a lil bit off the interior part of the pipe so I can slide the adapter on.

I will have to take exact measurement of the pipe or you can cut and try to adjust the height as you like because the sprinkler tips are different in size/length.

I assembled everything to look like this:

20130613_182755.jpg

After I just left it alone, and went on to the lid. I know I could of put way more net pots there but I decided to put just enough for testing,

I layed down the net pots and drew a circle to show where I need to cut.

20130615_070818.jpg

IMG-20130615-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20130615-WA0008.jpg

Once I finished cutting every spot. I cut all the net pots but I kept one to maybe try something different on that one.

20130615_094254.jpg

Once cut the net pots I went into adjusting the height of the sprinkler and the bottom of the net pots. My mistake was that I cut the pipe too short and I had to get a coupler to extend a lil bit. And I had to trim the pipe little by little til I was happy with the level where the sprinked water reaches the very bottom of the net pot.

20130615_094046.jpg

Looking good, can you post the detail on the exact build and what was used? I have been losing big branches to some of my rare plants and would love to start cloning them.

Thanks

Chris

Jeff H said:
Very cool. Have you just tried this on one plant or have you done a group of them?
Hey Jeff, I have others. I also have 3 tepin, a 7 pot SR, 1 tomato, and a Naga morich.

One of the tepin is new, and the 2 I put at the same time are showing root bumps. The 7 pot SR is lagging, the tomato has roots too, and the Naga morich is new.
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looking good, can you post the detail on the exact build and what was used? I have been losing big branches to some of my rare plants and would love to start cloning them.

Thanks

Chris
Thanks Chris! I was hoping someone would say that, I took pics as I went thru it so that's for sure. I'll post it up for you and everyone once I get all the pics and make the parts list.

, Walter

Vegas_Chili said:
Hey Jeff, I have others. I also have 3 tepin, a 7 pot SR, 1 tomato, and a Naga morich.

One of the tepin is new, and the 2 I put at the same time are showing root bumps. The 7 pot SR is lagging, the tomato has roots too, and the Naga morich is new.

Thanks Chris! I was hoping someone would say that, I took pics as I went thru it so that's for sure. I'll post it up for you and everyone once I get all the pics and make the parts list.

, Walter

Damn it.

I was hoping to give my HID light a rest until at least Feb 1st next year, but if members here keep coming up with cool cloning projects that I just have to try, I'm going to have that light burning by November..... On the flip side, I might not be germinating much except new varieties from seed if I fill my basement with all clones or OW plants. :party:

Damn, all I need is a piece of pvc pipe, an emitter & the site plugs, already have the pump, bucket & lid....Looks like I have a project in the future.

Proud Marine Dad said:
What advantage does this have over just taking a cutting and putting it in a propagator with soil?

From the few people that I have seen try it, it seems the advantage is that it actually works. Cloning peppers in just water or soil with rooting hormones seems to be a hit or miss proposition. Mostly miss in my experience. I do have a couple of Butch T clones that are rooting in just water but it has taken a couple of months to get only a few roots and I have lots of dead failures too.

Jeff H said:

Damn it.

I was hoping to give my HID light a rest until at least Feb 1st next year, but if members here keep coming up with cool cloning projects that I just have to try, I'm going to have that light burning by November..... On the flip side, I might not be germinating much except new varieties from seed if I fill my basement with all clones or OW plants. :party:
From my experience so far, the clones are better off with indirect sunlight from a window or something but not bright light. I tried putting a light and they stressed real bad. Another saving there lol.

Thank you all for the comments and answers. The reason I did this was because I failed real bad at cloning in soil and water, so this was my last attempt and it worked.

Advatages? As stated above, what Millman says, Jeff H, and Cmpman.

-faster rooting.
-check without distubing roots.
-foolproof? Maybe?
-more reliable.

Either way you put it. It works better than other methods hands down.

, Walter

***** I need a BUMP!*****

Capsicum Select said:
Bump and +1 definitely will have to try this.

Has anyone tried air layering to get a few roots prior to putting in the cloner?

Thanks for the bump man! Idk what's air layering.

Here's how it finally looks.

20130615_101648.jpg

IMG-20130615-WA0016.jpg

20130626_063006.jpg

How I did it for the pump cord, and made a hole to add a bubbler to keep the water well oxygenated.

20130627_193220.jpg

Pics again of root growth for the Trinidad Scorpion CARDI, (first one to root).

9th day.

IMG-20130625-WA0000.jpg

10th day.

IMG-20130626-WA0004.jpg

Today. 6/27/2013.

20130627_173417.jpg

It really doesn't take much to build one as you can use any part as long as it works similar to it. Now go save yourselves some cash on the clonex and rooting hormones as they're not necessary, but will aid in rooting. Anything just ask.

***** I forgot to mention that I dipped the cutting in seaweed extract, I'm unsure of the benefit of doing so. *****

, Walter

Vegas_Chili said:
Thanks for the bump man! Idk what's air layering.

, Walter
Air layering is basically wrapping the stem with sphagnum that is pretty moist and wrapping that with plastic wrap to force roots to grow in that area.

They are looking super healthy! I've always been amazed at how plants can propagate.

Capsicum Select said:
Air layering is basically wrapping the stem with sphagnum that is pretty moist and wrapping that with plastic wrap to force roots to grow in that area.

They are looking super healthy! I've always been amazed at how plants can propagate.
Cool, that would be like cloning in a aerogarden since you're adding a sponge to it or something. The lid I use has a gasket and hardly any openings so humidity would stay at max and not require a sponge or any type of peat or medium.

, Walter

Oh cool. I didn't realize that's basically what the aero gardens were.

With air layering you do it while still attached to the main plant before taking the cutting. Then cut at where the roots are starting at the air layer so you have some roots already established.

I built one of these at the beginning of the season and it has been working great. Peppers are the easiest / quickest of all the plants I have tried.
So far I have successfully cloned:
-every pepper I have tried
-tomato
-edible fig
-key lime
-crepe myrtle
-bamboo (clumpers only)
-ficus benjamina
-ficus benghalensis
i'm probably forgetting some 

I add a few ml's of Canna Rhizotonic and it works great, Highly reccomended.

Back