• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

First smoke of the season

Hello all,

I haven't had much time to lurk around here as I have in the past. Seems like work and life are getting in the way of all my hobbies! We're only in May and we're already being hit with hot dry days. So much so that we're already battleing forest fires around the area.

Since it's a long weekend here in Canada (Victoria Day) I decided to bust out the Bradley Original Smoker and get my first smoke of the season going! Picked up a pork shoulder yesterday and whipped up a batch of Jerk Pork sauce.

Pork shoulder.

Jerk Pork sauce with 9 J-MoA's I had frozen from last year. I've been saving these for exactly this moment! I was surprised they still had a bite despite being frozen. I was picking them out of the bag with my bare hands and decided to give my finger a test lick. Near instant heat and a moment later it felt like someone punched me in the diaphram.

Into a large ziploc bag with jerk sauce to marinate over night.

Out of the bag and onto a rack. Made sure to put the extra sauce on it.

Into my Original Bradley Smoker. I picked it up last year and have only a cuple of smokes under my belt before I had to put it away for the winter. Hoping to give it a good go this summer! It's too shiney for my liking.

Now to sit and wait. I don't think I have enough beer to last me the weekend. Especially for a day of smoking. There ain't much in life that's better than a cold beer and poking meet on a grill, in a smoker or on the Q!

Neil

Roguejim said:
Thanks, man.  Depending on the butt size, of course, 4 hours seems really short, at least for pulling. 
Yep, all about temp. You need to hit about 195 for perfect pulling. You can get 165 to 190 for chopped but most chopped is 165 to 175 at least how my pig kin do it. :) I would think also at 160ish you could slice like done for this one and it would be similar to loin. I know a few weeks ago when I was at the hunting club and they did 1200 pounds, each took about 4 to 5 hours to hit the temp they use for chopping. 

Always go by internal temps. Time is just a ballpark estimate. And don't forget to wait out (or force) the stall... if you give up on it, you will have a slicer not a puller. 

Thanks guys. I figured internal temperature was the way to go. The juices ran clear so I was confident with the secondary telling of it being done. It was really juicy. Think I'll try a pulled pork for the other half on our next go.

The leftovers are sliced and ready to go for sandwiches today

Neil
Roguejim said:
Thanks, man.  Depending on the butt size, of course, 4 hours seems really short, at least for pulling. 
I'm guessing that 4 hours was just for the smoke. Probably ran it longer, just with no smoke.

That looks awesome.

Baguette with that pork slightly warm, salami, fresh mozz, pickled cherry peppers, and some horseradish mayo. 

Back