• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking First smoked salmon

Ok guys and gals.I dialed in my MES and the cold smoker addition.I used my sons old computer fan in between some dryer-duct and on to the main smoker.I can now smoke from 0-275.I did cheese last week.This week I jump into the deep end with some pricey salmon.Any ideas on brine you use and or cooking times and temps you use may be helpful.I have a general idea of how I plan to go but am open to your ideas and recipes.I have 100% maple syrup and want to use it.Thanks Randy
DSCF8974smoke2.jpg

DSCF8976smoke2.jpg

in line 12 volt computer fan.once chips start in the cold smoke box I cut the power and the fan takes over pushing smoke.A long run of dryer vent cleans the smoke a little so its not so bitter from being right on top of the meat.
DSCF8977smoke2.jpg

temp in smoker after 1 hour.54 degrees.
DSCF8980smoke2.jpg

this salmon is going to be done on saturday
DSCF8982smoke2.jpg

This will be the same setup even if hot smoking.No more chip chute or chip pan inside.Just turn up the heat on the main box

Are you looking to do a wet brine or a dry brine? I usually do a dry brine myself. I prefer a 3 to 1 ratio of brown sugar to non-iodized salt. My brine time is normally overnight, but I have gone longer too. Once it is done brining, take the fish out and rinse it thoroughly in cold water. Pat dry and set it in front of a fan until a pellicle forms (feels tacky) as this will help keep the moisture in. I wouldn't bother putting the maple syrup into the brine, I have tried it and you couldn't taste it at all. Instead I would cook it down a little to thicken it and then brush it on right before smoking. Typically I only smoke it for the first few hours, anything beyond that will only add the bitter flavor. The best smoke is thin blue smoke, rolling white flow will add to the bitter flavor. Keep the fish in the smoker until the desired texture is achieved, or you can finish it off in a dehydrator. I have never bothered with temperatures, the salt and sugar in the brine is what does most of the preservation.

What kind of wood are you using? Alder, cherry, and apple are all good for smoking salmon.

As usual a cry for help and this boards patrons step up.Thanks guys so much.Ralph I will check out Old Salty's ideas.Hank when in Rome do as the Romans.You sir are in a place I would consider experts in the field.Thank you

randyp said:
As usual a cry for help and this boards patrons step up.Thanks guys so much.Ralph I will check out Old Salty's ideas.Hank when in Rome do as the Romans.You sir are in a place I would consider experts in the field.Thank you

I checked - here is the thread Randy.  :)

I do work/live at a high production salmon hatchery so I get pretty spoiled with fresh fish. Smoked salmon is pretty much the only way I eat it anymore.

MANG! I need to get back on my smoked salmon game.

Awesome! That's the perfect post to bookmark with the new Bookmark function! 😉

Back