• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

first super-hots grow, late start 2016

Hi THP,
I discovered you one week ago while googling for info about some peppers. I decided to grow some super-hots this year and at the same time to start a glog here, which will be my first post. The hottest pepper I've tried so far is the Mighty Jalapeno :D ...and off course the Reaper will be one of the plants I will grow, I guess this happens to many new to super-hots, right? :)

So I have these seeds:
Carolina Reaper
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Bhut Jolokia Red
Habanero unkonwn
and ofc Jalapeno
... + other non pepper related stuff

This will be a raised bed grow, I know it's a pretty late start for super-hots but still hope that they will give me some ripe pods, we usually have a nice weather here May to September :) (Lesson learned for next year, to start them in january)
Their "sun" till May will be a dual spectrum 250w HPS, 33k lm:
1_zps1fyzgxkk.jpg

Prepared also some food to recover few lost days :)
2_zpst9h49cko.jpg

I had some "unkown" problem with germination in soil so I started other seeds in paper towels, after a while I moved also the seeds from the soil to paper towels and later added more seeds to paper towels because I was afraid that I will have not enough plants. So in total there are about 40 seeds started in 3 different dates but I am not sure if the old ones are still alive. I will not throw them anyway, yet.

Progress so far:
21.03 the first peppers germinated and they were moved to soil:
4 habanero
6 jalapeno
1 reaper

3_zpsucbyakyg.jpg

22.03 I can already see the Reaper's head :)
4_zpsreyifkgc.jpg

22.03 moved 2 Butch T in the soil.
23.03:
4 habanero (2 of them germinated in 4 days?)
1 jalapeno
4 attris and 1 palladio, these are sweet peppers that have been in soil for 2 times then moved to paper towels (initially started in 21.02), I guess they are really wanting to live.

More seeds are "on their way", as I can see the life in them (the small white root)

This is how they look today, not very much to see yet, most of the peppers haven't broken the soil, but they are all germinated in the towel. The plants in the below tray are tomatoes, tomatillos and eggplants:
5_zpsrqvp1zsr.jpg

I am moving the seeds in the soil as soon as they're germinated in the paper towel, they are in a dark room with the bottom heat turned on at 29 Celsius. I'm checking them everyday, but they seem so sloow and this wait is so haard... :)

End of season, some pics before the last harvest - Bhut Jolokia and Fatalii, very productive plants:
DSC_0782_zpsoiyfa1b3.jpg

DSC_0787_zpsxohlnfe8.jpg

Beds cleaned up and prepared for new season, clover planted.
DSC_0802_zpspf9omldd.jpg

My first ferment try, 4 x 4l and 2 x 1.7l jars:
DSC_0804_zpsaywtvkkp.jpg

Season end outside, but continuing inside with these 2 600W HPS:
DSC00054_zpsgkycduze.jpg

I saved a total of 10 plants, in 25-30L pots. They are still in transplant shock, a lot of leaves dropped:
DSC00045_zpsrwhdizmw.jpg

DSC00046_zpsfp5gvz6z.jpg

DSC00049_zpsntvr0q9k.jpg

DSC00052_zpscgzjppnw.jpg

Nice indoor set-up...

Looks like a good season for you - good luck with the ferments!

Back