• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

first super-hots grow, late start 2016

Hi THP,
I discovered you one week ago while googling for info about some peppers. I decided to grow some super-hots this year and at the same time to start a glog here, which will be my first post. The hottest pepper I've tried so far is the Mighty Jalapeno :D ...and off course the Reaper will be one of the plants I will grow, I guess this happens to many new to super-hots, right? :)

So I have these seeds:
Carolina Reaper
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Bhut Jolokia Red
Habanero unkonwn
and ofc Jalapeno
... + other non pepper related stuff

This will be a raised bed grow, I know it's a pretty late start for super-hots but still hope that they will give me some ripe pods, we usually have a nice weather here May to September :) (Lesson learned for next year, to start them in january)
Their "sun" till May will be a dual spectrum 250w HPS, 33k lm:
1_zps1fyzgxkk.jpg

Prepared also some food to recover few lost days :)
2_zpst9h49cko.jpg

I had some "unkown" problem with germination in soil so I started other seeds in paper towels, after a while I moved also the seeds from the soil to paper towels and later added more seeds to paper towels because I was afraid that I will have not enough plants. So in total there are about 40 seeds started in 3 different dates but I am not sure if the old ones are still alive. I will not throw them anyway, yet.

Progress so far:
21.03 the first peppers germinated and they were moved to soil:
4 habanero
6 jalapeno
1 reaper

3_zpsucbyakyg.jpg

22.03 I can already see the Reaper's head :)
4_zpsreyifkgc.jpg

22.03 moved 2 Butch T in the soil.
23.03:
4 habanero (2 of them germinated in 4 days?)
1 jalapeno
4 attris and 1 palladio, these are sweet peppers that have been in soil for 2 times then moved to paper towels (initially started in 21.02), I guess they are really wanting to live.

More seeds are "on their way", as I can see the life in them (the small white root)

This is how they look today, not very much to see yet, most of the peppers haven't broken the soil, but they are all germinated in the towel. The plants in the below tray are tomatoes, tomatillos and eggplants:
5_zpsrqvp1zsr.jpg

I am moving the seeds in the soil as soon as they're germinated in the paper towel, they are in a dark room with the bottom heat turned on at 29 Celsius. I'm checking them everyday, but they seem so sloow and this wait is so haard... :)

Welcome to THP! :mouthonfire:

sprouts look great
29C is perfect, looking good.
What do you suspect your problems with soil germination are?

Helvete said:
Welcome to THP! :mouthonfire:

sprouts look great
29C is perfect, looking good.
What do you suspect your problems with soil germination are?
Thank you!
I had another peat moss mix (not the current Biobizz light mix) that a friend gave me and I forgot it in the car, in a plastic bag for some days and was airtight. I suspect something bad happened to it, I can see some fungi that is living there atm and maybe paused the germination? I don't know what else to blame, water and temperature was fine. 2 weeks after sowing I had no plant (and I usually get tomatoes to sprout in 7-8 days) so decided to replace soil and switch to paper towel.

A small update to my late grow :)
I've made an inventory of the peppers, here's what germinated/sprouted already, it's mostly info for myself to keep tracking:

Jalapeno    4 sprouted, 6 germinated
Habanero   6 sprouted, 3 germinated
Reaper       1 sprouted, 2 germinated
Butch T      4 sprouted, 1 germinated
Bh. Jolokia 1 sprouted
Tr. M. Sco. 1 germinated

And here are the remaining unborn seeds:

Started 19.03:
Butch T      1
Bh. Jolokia 1
Reaper      3+3
Tr. M. Sco. 2

Started 15.03:
Tr. Sco. Mo 4
Reaper       2
Bh. Jolokia  3
Butch T.      2

Started 09.03 in soil, then moved to towel (could be dead):
Tr. Mo. Sc. 4
Bh. Jolokia 1
Reaper      1+3
Butch T     2
Habanero  2

Reaper starting true leaves:
DSC_0280_zpskhbg8zbz.jpg

Peppers:
DSC_0281_zpsysntwvcn.jpg

Newborns:
DSC_0282_zps7cwxvx5a.jpg

Tomatoes and tomatillos moved to bigger houses:
DSC_0285_zpsdo1fmk4p.jpg

Small update of my babies
Hots and sweets:
DSC_0324_zpsrbodnbqj.jpg

There are still some peppers to be moved in pots, tomatoes are growing like crazy, had to give away half of them:
DSC_0327_zpskxsqee4p.jpg

And because the topic is late start, why not start more seeds? This time from Fatalii.
Pictures from yesterday:
Shower with H2O2 dilution:
DSC_0305_zpsjssjrr8x.jpg

Started 4 of each variety, last 3 were sent by Jukka as a gift :)
DSC_0306_zpsjgklryer.jpg

Also invested in a dome, temperature stays between 28-30C, humidity 90+%. Trying rockwool this time:
DSC_0311_zpsm6y8d9xp.jpg

I guess I have to buy more light and continue some of them indoors at the end of the season :)

I wanted to keep a plant overwinter still producing which turned me into the indoor gardner I am now, my precious plants can live out full and happy lives (and produce tons before they kick). The cursed snow and ice times they shall not see.

Thanks, I wish all of you good luck in this season.
Today I'm moving the tomatoes and tomatillos outside in the beds so the peppers will have move room inside. I already have 3 sprouts from the last started seeds, all of them are Red Scotch Bonnet, the winner sprouted in 3.5 days :dance:
I'll add some pics later today or tomorrow.

Here's the Red Scotch Bonnet which sprouted in less than 4 days:
DSC_0331_zpsei8e7j5y.jpg

Empty beds waiting for some green stuff:
DSC_0333_zpsic5gpv7t.jpg

My 5 cubic meter composter ans some mess :)
DSC_0338_zpsslcf7eaw.jpg

And the peppers, also fed them today for the first time, some half strength biobizz grow:
DSC_0343_zpsjkzr9ee8.jpg

DSC_0344_zpsa80di6yk.jpg

Wow! Great looking thread. You've got some heat going this year! Looks like you've had some good luck germinating those super hots!

I had some trouble myself and finally got some Bhut's going! Enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I had to do an inventory so I know how many containers I will need, there are only 3.5 beds dedicated for peppers. Beds size are 3.6m/1.2m.
Until now there are 57 pepper plants, including sweet ones.
Seeds germinated so far: 16/44, this is day 8 since started them. I expect about 80+ plants.

Annuum peppers started to grow bigger leaves but the distance between nodes is higher. I like the chinenses better, they are bushier. I also like the germination in the dome so far, humidity is 99% on my meter (don't know if it's actually true) but none of the sprouts had helmets.

Pics from today:
DSC_0356_zpssyzmgkkm.jpg

DSC_0357_zpsgibau1z2.jpg

DSC_0358_zpssvxosc3q.jpg

DSC_0359_zpsozfktp6l.jpg

DSC_0361_zpssxjy5wjz.jpg

arr_zpshkbudzlw.jpg

Germination day 12: 21/44 sprouts. They took a vacation for some days until today, I can see through the rockwool hole a lot of seeds forming root.

Plants are doing fine, the biggest ones grew a lot in 4 days
DSC_0366_zpsrpxg8hhw.jpg

DSC_0367_zpshor5mmcm.jpg

The babies:
DSC_0369_zpspywl7ibd.jpg

DSC_0370_zpsrzwl38iv.jpg

Time for an update.
Some of the peppers already want more room but will not repot them, I want to plant them outside in first week of May. Some of them (mostly Jalapeno) got curly leafs, I don't know if it's overwater or some deficiency, it doesn't look very bad anyway.

DSC_0396_zps0rlnqqdb.jpg

DSC_0397_zpspk1fio3u.jpg

DSC_0399_zpsivsat9ul.jpg

Sprouted 8-11 April
DSC_0401_zpsaruqqaqu.jpg

Sprouted 12-23 April
DSC_0402_zps2o9wvbqg.jpg

DSC_0403_zpsbad0gzsc.jpg

DSC_0404_zpsketqbmkx.jpg

Germination took a break again, this is day 20, 27/44 germinated. I have at least one sprout of each variety I sowed except the White Fatalii.
I will take a vacation also, so the next update will be in May, hope the plants survive with my friend taking care of them while I'm away :)

Found a possible reason for leaf curling, made this picture with the phone camera through a microscope:

DSC_0429_zps8v9elezt.jpg

Sprayed the plants yesterday with 1% neem oil dilution and all the nasties are dead now, I'm not sure if the eggs are dead also. I saw 2 weeks ago something that looked like aphids or aphid eggs on some of the peppers but didn't inspect further, I couldn't imagine that I can have an aphid infestation inside the house.

aphids suck but that is definitely a good picture of one lol

fortunately you'll be able to get them outdoors soon so hopefully your seedlings can manage until then.  The outdoor predators should help out a lot at that point.  Everything looks pretty good otherwise!

I have moved the big ones to larger pots and they seem to like it. Night temperatures were low so could not move them outside yet, but from next week it's starting to warm up (min 10+ Celsius).

DSC_0462_zpsmgotk7ih.jpg

DSC_0464_zpssu9crbeq.jpg

DSC_0465_zpsraigcxzf.jpg

DSC_0466_zpsflgekg9j.jpg

DSC_0467_zpsxrgkm0xl.jpg

Some jalapeno still very curly...
DSC_0468_zpsgaqeorea.jpg

Great looking plants man, they seem to be very healthy; probably spotting that aphid and taking action asap saved them
Also the bed is awesome, i m sure the peppers will thrive there. Best of luck mate!

Trimis de pe al meu SM-G920F folosind Tapatalk

Back