• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

First Take on Tapas: Padrón, et al.

2mcyp0g.jpg

The Spaniards are onto something.  This is a nice, tasty way to consume mass quantities of nutritious pods.

As an afterthought, sweet onion slices (not pictured) were dropped into the oil . . . which to my pleasant surprise picked up and passed on some gentle heat from the padróns and the black Hungarian that joined them.  The dark, sweet, sea-salty, slightly-hot onions . . . well, none are left if that tells you anything.

The rice—cooked in beef stock, onion, turmeric, and some Jamaican hot chocolate powder—was inspired by an Indian food thread that flung a cravin' on me.

314t6ys.jpg

Pretty decent way to eat out of the backyard, all told.

That looks really colorful and tasty! I love Padron's, I grow them every season (12 plants). Haven't been able to harvest any yet but won't be long now :D

Thanks for the kind words.

What to do with padróns?  Send them to me . . . or look at these images for inspiration.  If more heat is desired, split open hotter pods, and cook them first to flavour the oil.

It was nice to be able to enjoy these as main dish elements rather than as condiments or seasoning components.

Forgive my ignorance...

Is that just fried Padrones? Like heat up some oil, throw the whole pods in, cook till soft, add salt and serve??

Looks great!!! 

That's the essence of it.  You're right: it's almost stupid-simple, yet good beyond the effort expended.

Or maybe I was just hungry.

swellcat said:
That's the essence of it.  You're right: it's almost stupid-simple, yet good beyond the effort expended.

Or maybe I was just hungry.

Yeah, it's really simple. They also make a tasty powder. I had a whole batch once and smoked, dried them. Liked it a lot.

Holy crap I missed this!

Looks amazing!

Back