• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First Time Grow - 7Pod, Scotch Bonnet, Serrano

Hey all!,

Note: I'll start transplanting previous posts into this thread as times goes by.

"First Time Setup" Thread

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Jumpstart T5 Fluorescent 2' kit (No Stand) For Seedlings[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]LED Comet Magenta 150LED Lamp ([/background]HID Hut[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]) (for veg and pre transplant outdoors to pots).[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Seed Cell Dome[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Rapid rooter plugs (General Hydro)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Plastic Seed Cells[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]CloneX Solution (For seedling foiler)[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Super Sprouter Heat Mat[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Super Sprouter Thermostat[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Salvation Army - Old CRT/TV Dresser ($25)[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]4L Jug (Great for Kool-aid [/background] ;)[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] )[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Oakton EcoTester pH1[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]General Hydro pH-Up[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]General Hydro pH-Down[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]A couple of pipets - One for nutrients, one for pH balancing.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]FoxFarm - Grow Big[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Plant Success - Granular Root Nutrients[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]General Hydro Pro Bloom[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]General Hydro Cal Mag (For reverse osmosis or filtered water)[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Panda Film - White & Black Poly 6mil (10x10)[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Pump Sprayer[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]
img1595pm.jpg
[/background]

Thanks all. I'm not to happy with how I did the panda film, but I can always go back with a staple gun and make it a bit nicer. I used mounting tape to stick it to the walls and some small duct tape strips to hold down the end. I'm going to trim the front a little bit, and do the sides later this week. I moved the T5 up a little bit as the seedlings started to grow a little bit. Been about a week or two since I sowed them in the Rapid Root pods, and they are starting to show a second set of leaves. I say a few more days and they'll start to show. I'm storing any misc stuff in the dresser drawers, such as cords, pipets brochures, instruction manuals and a nutrient / water log. I'll have some more pics as this begins to move along.

Last night I decided to go ahead and start germinating some Trinidad Scorpions. I'll keep you posted on their progress.

Seedlings:
Serrano (Pepper Joe)
Scotch Bonnet (Pepper Joe)

Awaiting Germination:
7-Pod (Pepper Joe)
Trinidad Scorpion (Pepper Joe)

SASBE:
C. chinense (cmpman1974)
SilverSurfer Mixed (KiNGDeNNiZ)
Piri Piri Devil (ajijoe)

Update - Trinidad Scorpions in germ are looking great. The seeds are absorbing water and turning an off white/yellow. They are looking great. I'll be ready to sow by the end of the week.

Also... Heres some pics of the Serrano and S.Bonnets

img1673.jpg

img1675lqo.jpg

I moved the T5 up a little higher because it was causing some interference with the heat mat. The light keeps the seedlings at about 78-84 degrees, WITH a heat mat under the seedling tray. I'll probably remove the heat mat for now and replace when it gets a little colder. I'm a little concerned that I may have started WAY to early. If Jan-Feb are the cold months, thats a few months out. These bad boys could shoot up in the next month or two. I'm considering moving to very small pots in the next coming weeks. Thankfully if I mess this up I have some other seeds on their way and the other half of the Volcano In a Box :)

Those 7-Pods are not showing any sign of germination still. :/

Awesome! I checked the bottom of the seedling tray and a couple have some roots starting to show! Need to order some pots.
I've been using CloneX as part of my watering regiment, every few days i turn the light off and give it a good "spring rain" as a foiler feed. Spelling? The next morning I rinse them with 6.8-7.1 pH balanced water. Because I'm using filtered tap water, I'm going to start adding maybe .5-1ml of CalMag per 2L of water. Because I can't move them outside right now, I'll hold of on Vegi nutrients for now. Gonna need some pruning/trimming in a month or so. Right now the seedling bay is to small, so I'm gonna move to 1L air pots with a 2in feeding/water tray. Going to move from top feed to bottom feed. Hat Tip pshngo!

I'll also finish up the panda film, and build a small fan into the side of the bay. Thankfully the T5 has been keeping the bay warm, around 82degF, so I might not have to use the heat mat this winter.

Ordered 3 years of The Farmers Almanac, should be hear in the next couple weeks.

Once I get these going, and can move outside, i should be ready to germ some of the SASBE seeds ill be receiving from some of our friends.

Ill keep you posted on the grow as I know more!

Neat setup.

Don't forget the fan. Those baby plants need to get accostomed to a breeze. It will keep them from getting too tall and lankey.

nice ... which mixed seeds did i send you...l. Silver surfer mix??

ahh.. just re read your post.. ya man.. they waiting for you

Denniz,
You should get my SASBE in the next day or two. I sent it out a couple days ago. I'm here in Venice so, Azusa should be pretty quick.

Got some pics to add...

Trinidad Scorpions - Germing
img1682k.jpg

Serrano Peppers
img1684ym.jpg

Scotch Bonnets
img1685be.jpg

Neutrients...
img1689qd.jpg

I feel like the nutrients are lacking in phosphorus... Anyone have any suggestions?
For soil, I'll be using FoxFarm: Happy Frog

Yeehaw! Picked up some more nutes and myco root supplements from GreenLeafe hydro in El Segundo. Sadly they're going out of business so, it's quite the fire sale. They didn't have any soil, mostly just nutrients HPS and MH bulbs and reflectors. A few ballasts and what not. Nice guys over there. Father and son business. Wish them the best. But have to say, I did some math and I saved a bunch of money on some FoxFarm grow big bottles and long term watering cycles. I estimated the cost per gallon and figured i saved a couple hundred dollars on an 16 week grow of 20+ plants. I'm pretty happy with the deal. They still have tons of nutrients if you're interested, they're on Artisia Blvd, in El Segundo. Everything is 50% off and must go! Ask for Mike, his father is old school soil grower, but has experience growing everything. :)

Here are some pics from this morning.

These are the Serrano peppers...
img1709r.jpg

These are the Scotch Bonnets
img1706o.jpg

They are looking pretty good... Still need to drop a fan in there so they dont get to tall... (Leggy?).

Those 7-Pod's never showed any sign of germination. The Trinidad scorpions, as far as I can tell, are looking promising. I do think I see some germination going on, I'll have to wait it out though.

. I just programmed my timer and should have 16hr cycles starting tomorrow at 5:30am, ending at 9:30pm the same day. Hopefully they enjoy it. I get the whole 24hr cycle, seems like all the pot farmers like to use it, but i kinda get the feeling we have a different regiment lol. 24hr cycles felt a little long and I noticed a growth spurt after I sprayed them and turned the light off for the night. The growth spurt was noticeable after a day or two. You can see in my GLOG. Posted pics today.

Not sure how to get this Hydrofarm thing up and running... wth... I tried programming it, but when I woke up this morning, it hadn't turned the light back on... Not sure whats up with that.

These are the instructions I used. (TM01715D)

I started with a 12am-4pm (16hr) cycle...

[Mon-Sun — Prog1On@12:00am — Prog1Off@4pm]

and decided to shift it by 5hr and 30mins... so I reprogrammed for..

[Mon-Sun — Prog1On@5:30am — Prog1Off@9:30pm]

I wake up this morning around 9:30 this morning and find the darn thing off... Before I programmed anything I hit the reset button so I know theres no lingering programs or daylight savings settings.
Anyone know how to use one of these things???

The other night... Sunday 21st, I created a myco mixture (GH-SubCulture-M) and bottom soaked the rapid root pods and some seeds (Trinidad Scorpions and 7Pods) for 30 minutes. I have to keep them in the seedling bay fora little bit considering the fact t hat its going to get colder pretty soon. I dont want to damage the roots, and would like to prevent build up of bad bacteria. Hopefully I'll have them in small pots when I get back from NOLA

Back