• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

First time growing pumkins.(warning, very large picture)

I have three pumkin plants growing and some leaves are turning white from the vains/stem outward. Is this normal or something to worry about?

100_0233.jpg
[/IMG]

Uh-Oh... Not sure without seeing the plant here in front of me, but this kinda looks like powdery or Downy mildew beginning. You can tell by looking for spores. They'll look like velvet on the effected area. If it's powdery, they will be on top. If it's downy, they will be on the bottom (of the leaves I mean). If it's just one leaf, remove it on a nice DRY day, not while it's raining. If all over, and you're not gonna eat the punkin, go to your local ag. supply place and get something to spray it with. If it is powdery mildew, it will defoliate your vine, and kill the plant.

Thanks for the info FS, I sprayed them with Garden Safe brand fungacide spray. All the white is on top of the leaves, nothing on the bottom. Hopfully the spray will work because the seven y/o is really excited about growing our own pumpkins.

iggy's response to most plant problems is "use neem oil" to fix it...sure cleared up my hop plants' aphid infestation though!

You can also use Bordo(copper based) as a preventative measure on tomatoes and other plants if you expect any future problems.

Back