• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics first time growing super hots *pics*

Hey guys, first time growing super hots here. Heres a couple pictures of progress so far.

Some sort of Habanero

Peach Ghost Scorp

Peach Bhut Jolokia

Moruga Scorpion

They are growing in small plastic cups that are either 6 or 8 oz with miracle grow seed starter mix, Is it time to pot up to say red party cups? I see that the roots are showing in the bottom of the cups now.

Also since some of them have 3rd set of leaves coming, is it time to harden off and move outside? They have been in my windowsill for their life so far. It still gets down to mid 40's at night here in san diego right now.

Looking good. This year is my first year growing super hots too...sorta. A couple of years ago I started some but it was way to late in the season for any kind of success.

Looks like they are ready to go into bigger cups if you cull down to one per cup. When did you start your seeds?

i went ahead and potted up into 18oz red cups this afternoon. ill kill one of each off once i see which ones make it through the transplant. I started them early december on top of my cable box to germ, then as they sprouted i moved them to my window.

nice looking plants knoxthis!

just try to keep the surface as dry as possible (do you bottom water? if not, you should try it)

I think it's a little too early to move them outside.

In general, pepper plants are ok with temperatures of 50 degrees.

45's and 40's are a little bit cold for them and you may have problems (i know for sure that the plant is ok as long as it doesn;t go below 7 degrees celcius, 45 fahrenheit in your case)

yea i have been bottom watering them so far and also making sure to not over water. Only once every week or so or when they look dry and feel light enough.

here they are 8 days later. they seem to have made it through the transplant as they havent died yet. Im pretty sure i need to go dow to one per cup, my question now is how do i decide which one to keep?

uXqLn2N.jpg

Looks good, congratz!

Lol, Culling is hard for me as well. Keep the ones that look best and grow fast.
Don't pull out the others out! just cut them at the surface. If you pull on them you might damage to roots on the ones you want to keep and slow them down a little.

What part of SD? I'm in Clairemont area PM me, maybe we can meet and trade some seeds and I can give you some tips or answer questions. I think have a few BrainStrain pods you can try if you want :hell:

Personally I would transplant the smaller ones into different cups, just in case something happens to the others. If they all survive and you don't have room for them find a friend or neighbor to share them with. It's good to have chili growing friends.

Good luck.

Culling is hard for me aswell.... I just separate them and put 1 in each pot. I'm VERY carefull when I do that. I just loosen the dirt the most I can I pull them out VERY gently if it doesn't come out freely I loosen some more. I transplant right away. If you start feeling the roots snap just leave it where it's at. I normally do this when they're on their 2nd set of true leaves, because if I wait longer there's gona be more roots and it's gona be harder to do. I just did mine a couple of days ago, and they seem to like their new private area ;).

Looking good!

Those jays ghost scorpion are freaking awesome. Great combo of tasty, hot and looking just gnarly!

Culling is hard for me aswell.... I just separate them ...when they're on their 2nd set of true leaves, because if I wait longer there's gona be more roots and it's gona be harder to do. ....

If the roots are too tangled you can cut down between them with scissors and even loosing some roots there will be enough to get them going again.

If the roots are too tangled you can cut down between them with scissors and even loosing some roots there will be enough to get them going again.

Thanks for the tip, but the way I do it scissors won't be necessary. I've done it even when don't even have their first true leaves and they never get shocked.

I do agree that with larger root mass it's not a problem and you can trim the roots and loosen up the whole jazz before potting up, and still grow without a problem. Seedlings are more sensitive.

,Vegas

little update here. Plants have survived up until now and all of them have been producing flowers for the past two weeks or so. (with the majority of them dropping). I understand that is normal with chinense varieties. 

MvmtLLuh.jpg

I have been letting the plants start to show signs of wilting before water but lately I have been a little guilty of paying too much attention to them. Are these yellowing leaves signs of too much water?

OcoqGghh.jpg

tVyHVTnh.jpg

And lastly, I never got around to labeling which plant was which when they went into the buckets, and have been waiting for pods to set to determine which is which, I have my first pods setting on what appears to be the moruga! It also appears to be the healthiest of the bunch.

fIBdDFZh.jpg

Looks like it could be some sort of bacterial issue, I had some plants last year that looked similar. Try to avoid watering the leaves if you can as this will allow it to spread quicker. I think you can treat them with a copper spray. 

Good luck mate

Thats basically the same my leaves were doing in okinawa over the winter before dropping.... and it was a pretty warm winter, got as low as the upper 40s once....

Some of the locals tried to convince me it was from a lacking of feeding them, not watering enough and allowing them to sit on a cement slab instead of a grassy patch.... never figured it out, lost most of the leaves on everything and they grew back.... did lose a few branches too from them turning brown and drying up....

spicy_echo said:
Do you have holes drilled in the bottom of the buckets?
yeah i have plenty of holes in each bucket. about 12 holes on each that are about 3/8 of an inch wide. each time i water the water will flow out the bottom fairly quickly.

Nice looking plants there !!! This is my first year also , I started late so I bought some plants hope they grow up as nice as yours . From what I've read yellowing could be either overwatering or a cal/mag deficiency .

Back