• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

First time Jerky

I couldn't wait any longer to try my hand at making jerky. I was pleasantly surprised at the results and everyone at work loved the stuff.

Here is what I did:

I bought 1 lb of English roast and had the butcher cut it into 1/4" strips. I used HiMountain Hickory seasoning mix and added 1/2 tsp of Cayenne powder to it. Stuck it in the dehydrator for 4 hours. :onfire: It turned out great, however, next time I am going to add more cayenne powder, it needs to be a little hotter. I eventually (when I make some, want to make this with AJ's powder mix that shared with us all..."AlabamaJack's Habanero/Tabasco/Thai Orange Pepper Powder 2007". His powder mix sounds really really good).

I also had to try the jerky gun...

1 lb of ground chuck, also used the HiMountain Hickory spice mix. This time added 1 tsp of my homemade vidalia onion powder. Dehydrated for the same amount of time. Turned out excellent.

Thought I would share.

Paul

To the guy wanting a jerky recipe. I also like to use ground beef. You can get the ingredients to mix well and it comes out almost like sliced beef but much easier to bite off and chew. Add you ground or liquid heat to taste. You can use many different spices, like liquid smoke, soy sauce, onion and garlic powders.

4InchFloppy

Back