• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

first time with acid reflux

acid reflux suuuucks.

Tums doesn't quite do it either - Zantac 150 knocks that shiat out quickstyle!

I highly recommend ranitidine (Zantac) - you can start with the 75's - if 1 doesn't do it it's ok to take 2. In fact, there's a Zantac 300 but it's prescription only (although you could always take 4 X 75s) - but if you're new to the condition 1 X 75 should knock it out.

It's truly horrible when you get it & lay down to sleep - like a steady burf. uggh. Hurts thinking about it.

Good luck, and again - ranitidine is your friend. :cheers:

I went through bottles of tums, pepcid, zantac, and all the rest of it before going to the doc a couple years back. Been on prescription Pantaprazole ever since and it's amazing. I still don't recommend superhots, chugging liquor/wine, tobacco, or greasy food to anyone with GERD if you have it. Once you've gone through it, why risk it?

Like THP said, could just be indigestion. That said, be aware there are two types of OTC "remedies" for acid reflux. If you choose to obtain some, you should pay close attention to the label. One kind is for regularly-recurring acid reflux. It's intended to be taken all the time, every day, mostly to prevent it from happening. The other kind is for more periodic episodes. It's taken only when you have an acid reflux episode, and both calms the current attack and can be taken in advance when you know you're going to eat something that will make it flare up. I take the second kind, but some members of my extended family take the first kind. Mine only flares up once in a while - maybe 2x a year, and I can't say 'x' makes it do so. So the 2nd kind is a good option for me.

Lots of marinara on peperoni pizza or spaghetti does it to me a couple times a year---if mixed with beer or wine.
Stupidity does not a condition make-------but I still love my pizza and worth the price to me.

A couple of "big tums" usually does the trick in 10 or 15 minutes, and only needed the baking soda once, (same thing in "plop plop fizz fizz" which tastes better but 10 times the cost)

A spoonfull of apple cider vinegar will knock it right out of there! i get heartburn all the time and this works every time. to much hot food and to much beer for me!

I have been taking 20mg of Omeprazole (Prilosec) every day for probably 20 years or more.
Be careful with the Baking soda and water though as a gastroenterologist told me once that it can worsen the acid reflux as it foams and causes the acid to come up the esophogus. Not good.

I have been taking 20mg of Omeprazole (Prilosec) every day for probably 20 years or more.
Be careful with the Baking soda and water though as a gastroenterologist told me once that it can worsen the acid reflux as it foams and causes the acid to come up the esophogus. Not good.
I'm with you on this, Carvin. Went from Aciphex to Protonix to Nexium and now Prilosec OTC over the past 15-20 years. As you know, missing a day is NOT fun.

Next time ill drain the grease from the bacon before i eat it. Cooking it in the oven is like cooking it in pure grease and fat

No health insurance here

Holy cow. A topic here on these forums I can actually understand and relate to.
For like three years I litteraly ate anti-acids like they were candy. Anywhere from up to 15 a day and sometimes alot more.
So finally told my doctor about it and he prescribed a prescription of 20mg of Omeprazole.
Unbelievable how that prescription worked. Cured the heart burn about right away. I bet I've only had maybe 3 or 4 anti-acids in the last 2 months, and think maybe that was from withdraws, just to remember the taste. Doctor said the extra calcium in the tabs is no good. Getting too much extra calcium from them.
Problem now is, my chlorestorl went way up from being able to actually eat those fatty greasy foods and drink soft drinks that caused the heart burn in the first.
Guess I'll never be healthy. Can't have one without the other.

Spicy food is good for acid problems. Unless you already have an ulcer in the throat or stomach.
Calcium or sodium carbonates will neutralize it on contact, but doesn't cure the cause, and too much just makes the digestive system produce more acid.

There is nothing you could possibly manage to consume that is as strong as the acid you produce in your stomach.

Yes it sucks. I take omeprazole and its my best friend. Had it since i was a kid and couldn't go through life without my omeprazole.

Back