• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

First time with orange habs

I made a mango-peach sauce (link below) that called for scotch bonnets. I subbed with orange habs since the scotch bonnets are not available in my area. Anyway, the sauce has a bitter note at the end. Is this from the habs? On the whole, the sauce is less than thrilling, and will probably get thrown out. I'll look for a better recipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRUwvkgTlVM&feature=player_embedded

Hi Jim
I noticed that when you chopped up the peppers, you left some of the calyx on them. That could account for it. I always remove all of the green parts when cooking with chiles.

There is a difference in taste between the Scotch Bonnets and the Orange Habs. But the bitterness can occur when using "canned" fruits which can cause a "tin" taste to a sauce. Were your peaches/mango's mkt fresh ? Some brands of OJ can be "off" tasting and sour/bitter.

I use whole deseeded fruits in my vitamix, the puree is a great tasting addition when incorporated in a how sauce. Go with your taste buds and adjust that recipe before moving on. When you find out what works that can be a base or starting point for a fine sauce.
Good luck...

Greg

Greg has a great point, "go with your taste buds and adjust," which I do all the time. I rarely follow a recipes the way they are as I try tasting along the way, do what I believe I'll like, make substitutions and rarely measure (other than by eye, lol).

I use habs a lot. (5 cases so far) but i puree them in the blender then add the other stuff.. like onion, carrot, sugar, fruit.. i like canned peaches.. they seem to give my wing sauce a really good taste. i preferr the blender method because it makes the final product smooth , If you want my wings recipe pm me

Stickman,
That is not me in the video.

For my sauce, I removed all seeds and veins. I used canned peaches (per the recipe), and canned mango juice.

So, how does one remove, or mask bitterness?

howardsnm1,
You don't cook your sauce?

yes i do.. blend , cook, blend again if needed. i do that to thin it out if its too thick. then bottle
I typically do about 1 gallon at a time.. so a case and a half of mason jars. im switching to woozies after i move to az next month..
my ferments i do different because they have already been blended

Stickman,
That is not me in the video.

For my sauce, I removed all seeds and veins. I used canned peaches (per the recipe), and canned mango juice.

So, how does one remove, or mask bitterness?
Hi Jim
The best way I know of to avoid bitterness is to not put it in there in the first place. It sounds kind of simplistic, but it's true. I like to taste the ingredients first before I put them into other things. Adding things like sugar will mask off flavors up front, but will still be there at the finish. Next time, get more ingredients than you need of the ones you're not sure of and taste them first. If, for example, you don't know what that batch of chiles tastes like, use a few to make a small batch of salsa to try it out first.

By veins, to you mean the placenta that the seeds grow from?

Hi Jim
The best way I know of to avoid bitterness is to not put it in there in the first place. It sounds kind of simplistic, but it's true. I like to taste the ingredients first before I put them into other things. Adding things like sugar will mask off flavors up front, but will still be there at the finish. Next time, get more ingredients than you need of the ones you're not sure of and taste them first. If, for example, you don't know what that batch of chiles tastes like, use a few to make a small batch of salsa to try it out first.

By veins, to you mean the placenta that the seeds grow from?

I think of the veins as being attached to, and running the length of the inner walls, often having a whitish coloration. I removed the placentas, too.

You may already know this but just in case, the placenta is where your Capsacin is and by removing it your taking away most of the heat of the pepper. Please disregard if you already knew that :)

Any comments on this recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 6 whole Mango (peeled and seeded)
  • 7 whole Kiwi fruit (peeled)
  • 7 whole Habanero chile peppers (stemmed and seeded)
  • 4 whole Limes (juiced)
  • 3 whole Lemons (juiced)
  • 4 tablespoons Orange Juice (Frozen concentrate)
  • 1/3 cup Vinegar (White)
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 cups Water
Directions:
In stock pot add Habaneros, water and salt. Slow boil for 15 minuets. then drain, saving 3/4 cup of water.
Puree in blender the saved water and all ingredients except vinegar. Return to stock pot and simmer on medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar till slightly cooled.
Keeps in refrigerator 4 months or can and process. Refrigerate after opening.

Any comments on this recipe:
Yes, it's “Aunt Lindy's Habsolutely Mango,” posted back in 1998 which btw is excellent, there are many variations all over the Caribbean some published and many not. I have made it and other deviations of my own based on it's roots ... Whoa did you just copy it from here and post it on THP without giving her credit?

I've read the quoted directions you've posted below and they seem word for word her's:
Ingredients:
  • 6 whole Mango (peeled and seeded)
  • 7 whole Kiwi fruit (peeled)
  • 7 whole Habanero chile peppers (stemmed and seeded)
  • 4 whole Limes (juiced)
  • 3 whole Lemons (juiced)
  • 4 tablespoons Orange Juice (Frozen concentrate)
  • 1/3 cup Vinegar (White)
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 2 cups Water
Directions:
In stock pot add Habaneros, water and salt. Slow boil for 15 minuets. then drain, saving 3/4 cup of water.
Puree in blender the saved water and all ingredients except vinegar. Return to stock pot and simmer on medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar till slightly cooled.
Keeps in refrigerator 4 months or can and process. Refrigerate after opening.

Back