• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First Year Pods / Plants

Ok so here is my first plants and my first attempt this year. I planted a couple of months ago Bhut Jolokia, but prior to that around end of April i planted from seed (supposed to be pure seed) Aji Caballero and Tabasco

Here are some pics of them

AjiCaballero1.jpg

This is my two Aji Caballero plants, the one on the right looks horrible. I had a 2 month fight with daily surgical tactical excision of damn hookworms, my neighbor wont be happy :). But i think its coming back. I wish they would have gone to the tomatoes, dont care about those as much.

AjiCaballero3.jpg

Here are some of the pods and flowers growing on my baby :)

Tabasco after hookworm fight... I was not as nice this time. Took my spyderco military and diced them at point of attack on the plant.

AjiCaballero5.jpg

Here is the tabasco Pod

AjiCaballero6.jpg

Lastly are my growing babies

AjiCaballero8.jpg

My 3 month from seed Bhut Jolokia

AjiCaballero9.jpg

Aji Dulce

Feel free to give input on leaf color or bad growth you see in them . this is my first year so i know i am screwing up on a bunch of things. I am trying to use 1 a month compost tea that i make and using either botanicare or floranova for fertilizer on them.

Thanks

Gabe

Sorry guys my bad
Those bastards are called hornworms not hookworms
Eitherway they suck those cattapillers

Thanks for the responses

Thanks Chile_freak

here is a photo comparing full grown pods of my Tabasco vs Aji Caballero. They are not ripe yet, but man they are spicy already :)
photo.jpg

Tabasco is on the left and the Aji are on the right. They are smaller, but they seem to me have a noticeable more heat, not much but definite more, and its slower setting in, rather then the immediate heat of the tabasco, lasts longer also.

Thanks
Gabe

Hi RouteBound

Well since you asked ... :) lol

I really like the pods green for cooking, i throw them in my soups and fajitas that i make.

I am going to try to make powder out of some ripe pods this also and use it as a "chilli powder." These pods really seem to have the right heat for that.

I have not tried making my own marinade or hot sauce yet. Do you cook with Tabasco peppers?

Thanks
Gabe

I have not grown Tabasco Peps yet.
But I love Tabasco sauce esp the Chipotle
I eat my Serranos with all kinds of stuff fresh.
I love them in salsa.
Im gonna try my hand at making hot sauce soon.

Stephen

Nice plants, they are doing really well. :woohoo:

From what I have read, compost tea is great stuff. I have to get some going myself this year.

Nice plants, they are doing really well. :woohoo:

From what I have read, compost tea is great stuff. I have to get some going myself this year.

I make it myself. Even with using the botinicare and gen hydro products, i cant speak enough about making your own compost tea. its is betten to me then anything else. If you want PM me and i will give you the recipe i tweaked a bit and use now.

Back