• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

"Fish Pepper"?

I got a new follower on my Twitter account tonight and being curious (as I tend to be) I took a quick glance at their account to see if they might be worth following back (when it comes to my pepper-related account that generally means someone who posts primarily about hot pepper & the like).

Well, the person only has 15 tweets - only 2 recent and all the rest are from 2009-2011.. Yup, definitely not worth following.. BUT the latest entry links to an article on "Fish Peppers".. This one, to be precise:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/fish-pepper-zmaz09amzraw.aspx#axzz2kmFn9LEg

This is the first time I can recall ever seeing any variety of peppers that actually have "stripes" of color like this. I did a quick search online and noticed that they actually go back to the 1800's and possibly originate in Africa.

So then I hoped on over -here- and did a quick search and found at least one article about recipes.. but I'm just wondering - where they've apparently been around so long - do any of you have experience with them?

Likely nowhere near the hottest, but they -are- colorful and pretty. I think it could be fun to grow them and could be great for sparking the interest of the people in my area. :)

MEN-AM09-kg_pepper_recipe.jpg

.. P.s. I planted a "Super Chile" (as I mentioned somewhere else here on the forum) for my girlfriend just around 2 weeks ago and already it's working on it's 6th leaf. I've been keeping it up close to one of my T8's and rotating it daily to limit it bending too much towards the sunlight coming in the window. :)

Fish pepper has been around a long time.
Between green and red it stripes up.

When I grew it, it was hot but had little flavour as far as being notable.

BUT there are a lot of other peppers that have similar striping as they ripen and some crosses these days that ripen with purple stripes.

As a side note,some fish pepper plants I've grown have been very cool looking-some were almost all white leaved.
They are worth growing.

The dry pods are good for adding a little heat to soups and stews.

I consider them Med. Hot at most.

Not tasteless but nothing to write home about.

A good one for a pepper blend.
Just another ANNUUM in general.
Prettier than most...Mine were productive too.

Not a waste of garden space.

I too grew them last year and agree with smokemasters excellent evaluation.

However mine were not as sharply colored as the example above. There were just slightly white and green striped with a light difference in the striping.

Pretty little pepper aren't they. I bought a small pot from a local garden centre a couple years ago, and like Smokemaster said, a little heat but nothing to write home about, taste wise. I didn't grow them this past year, but plan to next year, more for ornamental looks then for eating.

Okay, cool.. despite the lack of heat I think I want to get a hold of these someday and give a shot at growing them. My mother loves gardening, but she strangely avoids anything that will grow anything edible for humans, and well, I'm basically the complete opposite - I'd rather grow something that can be used for more than just looking pretty. Maybe these could be pretty enough to bridge that gap on her end. lol

I'm slowly attempting to convert the people around me.. my girlfriend is slowly getting into hot peppers and one of my best friends always has been but I managed to renew that when I pointed out her could pick up the Naga's at our local grocery store.
:dance:

Thanks for the info & impressions, folks :)

wayright said:
I agree with others here on the flavor,,and the beauty..The variegated leaves are very cool!!

Doesnt look like a fish tho  :P

:P  :P  :P
Kevin

-Definitely- doesn't look like any fish I've ever seen.. such a peculiar name to give it. :)

I absolutely refuse to let any of my cats near my plants. Back in the summer when I ordered my very first seeds (Reaper seeds from Pepper Joe) and got a bunch of extras (I only ordered Reaper, but they sent the two free varieties -and- a second envelope with Naga Morich, Trinidad Scorpion & a couple others) I attempted planting a whole ton of them at once (rather naively).

I made the mistake of not securing my "grow room" well enough and my cats got in on a few occasions and mutilated them - either by eating them, or by digging them up the seedlings because they somehow thought soil = cat litter *sigh*

.. I'd love to have some frogs hanging around, though lol

Chewi said:
I actually really enjoy the taste of these right off the plant, and in pico. Like others have said, very cool looking and worth a grow.

Some other people I know that have tried it, liked it, I guess it depends on how hot you like your peppers, and what your growing conditions are too, as to how hot is gets.

I actually really enjoy the taste of these right off the plant . .

That's a great quality, especially for someone like me who tends to go into the backyard and graze.  (True story: no okra or sweet pea pods made it even into the house this year, much less had a chance to see fire.)

Oh, I may have line on some little fishes . . . if/when the guy sobers up enough to check his messages.

-Definitely- doesn't look like any fish I've ever seen.. such a peculiar name to give it. :)

I absolutely refuse to let any of my cats near my plants. Back in the summer when I ordered my very first seeds (Reaper seeds from Pepper Joe) and got a bunch of extras (I only ordered Reaper, but they sent the two free varieties -and- a second envelope with Naga Morich, Trinidad Scorpion & a couple others) I attempted planting a whole ton of them at once (rather naively).

I made the mistake of not securing my "grow room" well enough and my cats got in on a few occasions and mutilated them - either by eating them, or by digging them up the seedlings because they somehow thought soil = cat litter *sigh*

.. I'd love to have some frogs hanging around, though lol

Yeah I had someone tell me cats dont care to much for pepper plants and I put my hab in the window one morning to harden off. Came home from work to find it completely destroyed and a cat with a dirty face! These fish peppers look pretty cool maybe when I have more room ill give them a try!

thirdcoasttx said:
Yeah I had someone tell me cats dont care to much for pepper plants and I put my hab in the window one morning to harden off. Came home from work to find it completely destroyed and a cat with a dirty face! These fish peppers look pretty cool maybe when I have more room ill give them a try!

One of my cats absolutely loves green peppers and Vindaloo curry.. Mind you, this is a cat that spent his first few months of life exposed to weed (and as a result - drank bong water, ate weed and even ate an SOS pad) lol.

Back