Fish suggestions??

Dad's back from down south with a tonne of King Fish for me.. I'll pick it up tomorrow but wondering what to do with it... I've done beer battered to death.. a marinade with soy, ginger and chilli... so wondering if anyone has any tasty good fish dishes? I was thinking maybe a green curry... but not sure... so.. let me know if you have any good ideas!!

here's a pic of my brother with one of the fish they caught :)

IMG_0345.jpg

Thanks,
Mel

hmmm... whilst i havent tasted fish tacos.. the idea of it seems a bit off... maybe for the weekend when i'm a bit drunk :) the grilled recipe sounds good :) keep em coming guys!

Got this recipie from the Food Network:

Fish Tacos:
1 pound white flaky fish
1/4 cup canola oil
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 jalapeno, coarsely chopped (or pepper of your choice)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (I like it, some do not)
8 flour tortillas

Garnish:
Shredded white cabbage
Hot sauce
Crema or sour cream
Thinly sliced red onion
Thinly sliced green onion
Chopped cilantro leaves
Your choice of Salsa

Directions
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place fish in a medium size dish. Whisk together the oil, lime juice, ancho, jalapeno, and cilantro and pour over the fish. Let marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove the fish from the marinade place onto a hot grill, flesh side down. Grill the fish for 4 minutes on the first side and then flip for 30 seconds and remove. Let rest for 5 minutes then flake the fish with a fork.

Place the tortillas on the grill and grill for 20 seconds. Divide the fish among the tortillas and garnish with any or all of the garnishes.

I've been dying to try this one _ its with Talpia but Im you can substitue
I'll dig up the one I use currently

Grilled Fish Tacos with Chipotle-Lime Dressing
Prep Time: 35 Minutes Ready In: 6 Hours 44 Minutes
Cook Time: 9 Minutes Servings: 6
"Inspired by a Mexican favorite, grilled fish tacos have a creamy dressing spiked with lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and adobo sauce from zesty chipotle peppers. Garnished with tomatoes, cilantro, shredded cabbage, and lime wedges, these tacos are guaranteed delicious."
Ingredients:
Marinade
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons lime zest
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as
Old Bay™
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1 pound tilapia fillets, cut into chunks

Dressing
1 (8 ounce) container light sour cream

1/2 cup adobo sauce from chipotle
peppers
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons lime zest
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such
as Old Bay™
salt and pepper to taste

Toppings
1 (10 ounce) package tortillas
3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 small head cabbage, cored and
shredded
2 limes, cut in wedges
Directions:
1. To make the marinade, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, lime zest, honey, garlic, cumin, chili powder, seafood seasoning, black pepper, and hot sauce in a bowl until blended. Place the tilapia in a shallow dish, and pour the marinade over the fish. Cover, and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours.
2. To make the dressing, combine the sour cream and adobo sauce in a bowl. Stir in the lime juice, lime zest, cumin, chili powder, seafood seasoning. Add salt, and pepper in desired amounts. Cover, and refrigerate until needed.
3. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate. Set grate 4 inches from the heat.
4. Remove fish from marinade, drain off any excess and discard marinade. Grill fish pieces until easily flaked with a fork, turning once, about 9 minutes.
5. Assemble tacos by placing fish pieces in the center of tortillas with desired amounts of tomatoes, cilantro, and cabbage; drizzle with dressing. To serve, roll up tortillas around fillings, and garnish with lime wedges.

Found it -- I really like this one. I trully love cabbage and the sauce that is made goes great with it I can honestly eat the two alone.

Baja Fish Tacos
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Ready In: 35 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes Servings: 6
"If you travel to Mexico's Baja region or to sunny San Diego, you will find hundreds of restaurants and food stands offering fish tacos! Once you try this tasty recipe for yourself, you'll understand what the craze is about. Top these tacos with your choice of cabbage, tomatoes, lime juice, and/or taco sauce."
Ingredients:
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 (1.25 ounce) package ORTEGA®
Taco Seasoning Mix, divided
1 pound cod or other white fish fillets, cut
into 1-inch pieces

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 package (12) ORTEGA® Taco Shells,
warmed

Toppings: shredded cabbage, chopped
tomato, lime juice, ORTEGA® Thick &
Smooth Taco Sauce
Directions:
1. COMBINE sour cream, mayonnaise, cilantro and 2 tablespoons seasoning mix in small bowl.
2. COMBINE cod, vegetable oil, lemon juice and remaining seasoning mix in medium bowl; pour into large skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork.
3. FILL taco shells with fish mixture. Top with cabbage, tomato and sour cream mixture, lime juice and taco sauce.

paulky_2000 said:
Fish tacos taste exactly how it sounds to say fish tacos. ;)

awwwww paulie... you've just sealed it... whilst some interesting recipes have been posted... if it tastes like it sounds then its off the menu :P

nova - i need something i can cook up when i get home from work tomorrow... and fish jerky sounds like it might be worse than fish tacos :P

thanks for the recipes mal and lucky.. i just feel like gagging when i think of fish tacos...

They are HONESTLY very tasty -- My family likes them as much as using beef or turkey. Save some fish and try some for yourself sometime you will be honestly surprised especially by the last one I posted since it has the taco seasoning in it there isnt any fishy taste

LUCKYDOG said:
They are HONESTLY very tasty -- My family likes them as much as using beef or turkey. Save some fish and try some for yourself sometime you will be honestly surprised especially by the last one I posted since it has the taco seasoning in it there isnt any fishy taste

I'll give it a go on the weekend when I've got a back up dish prepared... although there is always order in pizza ;) i just havent had fresh fish for a couple weeks so would rather do something that is tasty of the bat.. i know you think fish taco's are tasty.. i just have to get over that mental hurdle first ;)

I know what you mean it was a hard sell to everyone as well. We thought the same - the pizza place was one digit away from being called till we had our first bite :) Grilled sounds easy enough and safe too ;)

These sound good to me and I don't like fish. I love shrimp and could see trying fish tacos with the shrimp as a substitute. Served with beer or margaritas.

I would recommend trying it seared in a pan with some butter, with a white wine cream sauce with fresh garlic and basil.

1 tbl spoon butter.
2 tbls spoons whipping cream
1 tbl spoon olive oil.
1/2 cup white wine
1 table spoon chopped basil
4 cloves fresh garlic

Add wine, cream, garlic and basil to a pot to reduce alcohol and thicken (add flower or corn starch is needed)
In a saucepan heat butter and olive oil, and then sear and cook fish on both sides (about 1 minutes on each side)
After searing the fish add your reduced wine sauce and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.

When its done you should have a nice tender flakey fish with a delicious sauce.

Enjoy!

thanks for all the suggestions guys.. i ended up doing a thai green curry and it tasted good to start but then i was feeling off all night... i only used one half of the fish, so i currently have half a fish in the freezer waiting to be cooked up this weekend.. i'm considering trying the fish taco's but I dont know if Mrmel will go for it.. might end up going for tried and true recipes.. (ie: lemon, garlic, chilli steamed or just beer battered).. as the results of the green curry are still haunting me :) thanks for the suggestions though! FTB - yours sounds great but the green curry has turned me off anything milky..

Back