Fish suggestions??

mel said:
awwwww paulie... you've just sealed it... whilst some interesting recipes have been posted... if it tastes like it sounds then its off the menu :P

nova - i need something i can cook up when i get home from work tomorrow... and fish jerky sounds like it might be worse than fish tacos :P

thanks for the recipes mal and lucky.. i just feel like gagging when i think of fish tacos...

Fish tacos are fantastic. I made and tried some for the first time last month. I had the same thoughts but one day just said heck with it...I'm trying it. I used Tilapia and just seasoned them similar to the way I would have seasoned ground beef or chicken for regular tacos. A quick searing in a cast iron skillet with some olive oil and onto some soft tortillas. Topped with shredded lettuce, jack cheese, salsa, and sour cream topped with some Sriracha. They were excellent.

SASHIMI!!!

Slice that belly up super thin and roll it up with some rice in nori- even if it's been frozen once it's still going to be good raw eating. The steak can be thin-sliced and served the same, or just as slivers. I love thin-slicing halibut and tuna and serving it on a frozen block of salt.

CEVICHE!!!

There are a ton of 'ceviche' recipes out there and pretty much all of them are not traditional Peruvian or Chilean. But they're pretty much all good! Most think of ceviche as almost a form of sashimi- toss the fish in a bath of lemon juice for a few minutes then eat it. That's not the way it's supposed to be made, it's supposed to 'cook' in the acid for quite a while.

1 pound fish, cut into 1 inch cubes
Lime juice (1 cup juice- the best is to squeeze a ton of wee little Key Limes, but you can use full-sized limes or concentrate if that's all you have)
Juice of 1 large orange
5 green onions, chopped
1 medium red onion, diced
1/8 cup lightly packed cilantro leafs, chopped
1/4 cup lightly packed arugula leafs, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
PEPPERS! Jalapeno, Habanero, Limo, whatever you want. Rocotos are what are traditionally used, I prefer C. chinense over annuum species but you can use whatever and however much you want. I usually chop them based upon heat- i.e. the hotter they are the finer I chop them.

DO NOT USE METAL POTS AND PANS!

• Cut the fish into cubes and place in flat bottomed glass container. Pour in enough lime and orange juice to cover the fish. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or about 4-8 hours
  • Remove fish from the fridge, add all other ingredients. You can remove the lime juice or a portion of it if you wish before adding the other ingredients, it's up to you- I'll remove some of it usually.
  • Cover again and refrigerate for 8-12 hours, depending on taste (some don't like so much lime)
  • Remove from fridge, place in glass bowl to serve. Sprinkle with salt to taste.

Spicy Hamachi sushi handrolls! Make sauce to taste out of mayo, seasame oil, Sriracha sauce, Nonami togarashi (Japenese Red pepper flake mixture), and a little salt. You can definately kick up the heat with your own "super hot" powder. Make some sushi rice (white rice with a little rice wine vinegar). Mix diced fish and sauce, get some Nori (seasoned seaweed) sheets and roll em' up! :party: I make this all the time for family get-togethers and it's always a hit! :cheers:

Back