• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

FL Born 2015 - 1st Glog

I am finally getting things growing this year! I have several types of seeds on top the fridge to germinate using the wet paper towel method...

IMG_20150314_130847_zps8hhxvg2z.jpg

#1) One of my friends took me out to where plants with these peppers were growing wild along a fence line in a large pasture. Dry they are between 1/4" and 3/8" in diameter.
He calls them "Buckshot Peppers" because they are about the size of buckshot. LOL
I am trying to germinate some of these seeds and when I get viable seeds, I will post more photos of these as they grow.

IMG_20150315_080241_zpsh0ukbrlg.jpg

#2) The same friend also gave me a couple of "Grove Pepper" plants that he had pruned back from last year.

IMG_20150315_081124_zpswanoyyp2.jpg

#3) My Dad's friend gave me this baggie of peppers from the Grove Pepper plants that my Dad had given him before my Dad passed away... :dance:
He also threw in some seeds from other pepper plants that he has...

Updates coming...

Thanks for looking and all of your help!
Bill

moruga welder said:
sry to hear about your pops , been there my friend ! and hope you have great luck on your grow season ! if you need anything just ask .      :onfire:

Thanks for the kind word, Moruga... Yeah, Dad passed away about 10 years ago now, Mom left us last year....
I think of them often, but they are good thoughts...
While I do miss them, I try to focus on my own children and making great memories for them... :)
(I'm getting pretty old myself... LOL)
:cheers:

FL Born said:

Thanks for the kind word, Moruga... Yeah, Dad passed away about 10 years ago now, Mom left us last year....
I think of them often, but they are good thoughts...
While I do miss them, I try to focus on my own children and making great memories for them... :)
(I'm getting pretty old myself... LOL)
:cheers:
me too pal , lost my mom last year also . hang in there . yes the kids , mine are all grown up except my 17 year old daughter , the rest are all out . pretty much mama and me and the peppers ! lol       :onfire:

moruga welder said:
me too pal , lost my mom last year also . hang in there . yes the kids , mine are all grown up except my 17 year old daughter , the rest are all out . pretty much mama and me and the peppers ! lol       :onfire:

Amen brother, Mine are both in their 20's and own their own. So it is me, Momma and the dogs.
Oh yea, and the PEPPERS!!!! LOL

When I went to my local Ace Hardware yesterday, they had one last pepper plant setting next to the front door. A Jalapeno that could use a larger pot. When I asked how much they were asking for it, they gave it to me....
IMG_20150316_092814_zpsc9p0urs2.jpg

While at Ace, I also picked up several 17 gallon tubs. When I got home, I drilled several 1/2" holes around the bottom.
My wife had also picked up some bell pepper plants the other day, so I have several plants to transplant.
IMG_20150317_173137_zpsrbwv6fdw.jpg

Finished product...
IMG_20150317_182339_zpseipi5v2m.jpg

More photos tomorrow....

I took some more photos of the transplanting...

Photo of the drain holes I drilled in the tub. I found out that it is easier to drill from the inside out, instead of drilling in from the outside...
IMG_20150318_091120_zps4efw25rj.jpg

I then placed landscape cloth in the bottom of the tub to help keep the soil from coming out..
IMG_20150318_091200_zpslsfn5osy.jpg

Filling the tubs with my soil mixture...
IMG_20150318_091546_zpsk2ekokjk.jpg

They are now setting in the yard so that they get sun from sunrise until about noon.
We will see how they grow here.
IMG_20150318_092256_zpszi6emch3.jpg

Close-up of my Jalapeno...

IMG_20150318_092228_zpslkeailzr.jpg

As always any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!

FL Born said:

It is hard here due to all of the woods around the house. LOL
It may be time to cut down some oak trees!!!
More wood to smoke with.... :woohoo:

Thanks for the advice!!!

The best pods I've ever had came from PepperRich, who was growing in N. Florida, and was growing them under filtered light of pines and w/ bottom watering ...

I'm purposely growing using my house itself to limit the number of hours of direct light this time around, and I'm VERY SERIOUSLY considering just lining the edge of my carport and doing it w/ entirely reflected light from my neighbors wall.

Cheers!

grantmichaels said:

The best pods I've ever had came from PepperRich, who was growing in N. Florida, and was growing them under filtered light of pines and w/ bottom watering ...

I'm purposely growing using my house itself to limit the number of hours of direct light this time around, and I'm VERY SERIOUSLY considering just lining the edge of my carport and doing it w/ entirely reflected light from my neighbors wall.

Cheers!

Thanks Grant!

Rained here most of the day, so I didn't get much done outside today... So I worked on building a starting chamber...
Since my son moved out several years ago and he left this old aquarium tank that housed his pet snake, I have decided to try to make a starting chamber out of it...
IMG_20150323_170458_zpshxvkemhs.jpg

From what I remember it is about a 120 gallon tank, approximately 18"W x 48"L x 24"H, and has heat strips on the bottom to keep the inside warm...
First, I had to clean the "sand" out of it... I still have to finish cleaning and sterilizing it...
Any suggestions on whether or not to put a base material in it??? I have been thinking about using some pea gravel for a base material to set the seed trays on... This would help hold moisture and also heat from the heat strips... If I needed to increase the moisture level in the chamber I could spray water on the gravel ...
I plan on adding a different lid also to keep moisture in...
I had an old shop light laying around and set it on top to see how it might look... I plan on picking up two more shop lights tomorrow, which will give me a total of six - 48" bulbs...
Any and all suggestions are always welcome!!!

Looks like a cool project.  Do the heat strips have a regulator or is it a set temp?  If you keep it mid 80's it should have plenty of moisture just from the wet media the starts are growing in.  First off I would get the lights set up and check for temps.  You might end up needing a couple small computer fans to regulate temp and RH. 

Thanks for the input!
The heat strip under the tank appears that it may have some type of limit switch built into it, but I am not sure yet. I'll post more after I find out more about it. I will install a thermometer and hygrometer tonight after I get the other light fixtures and setup the tank.
I have several old box fans around if I need one or more. I have decided to put the pea gravel in the bottom, if for no other reason to try to stabilize the temperature. I have the A/C vent turned off to that room so that hopefully the temperature will not fluctuate as much.
More photos as soon as I get it setup.... :) 

Back