• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

FL Born 2015 - 1st Glog

I am finally getting things growing this year! I have several types of seeds on top the fridge to germinate using the wet paper towel method...

IMG_20150314_130847_zps8hhxvg2z.jpg

#1) One of my friends took me out to where plants with these peppers were growing wild along a fence line in a large pasture. Dry they are between 1/4" and 3/8" in diameter.
He calls them "Buckshot Peppers" because they are about the size of buckshot. LOL
I am trying to germinate some of these seeds and when I get viable seeds, I will post more photos of these as they grow.

IMG_20150315_080241_zpsh0ukbrlg.jpg

#2) The same friend also gave me a couple of "Grove Pepper" plants that he had pruned back from last year.

IMG_20150315_081124_zpswanoyyp2.jpg

#3) My Dad's friend gave me this baggie of peppers from the Grove Pepper plants that my Dad had given him before my Dad passed away... :dance:
He also threw in some seeds from other pepper plants that he has...

Updates coming...

Thanks for looking and all of your help!
Bill

I finally got the seeds for the last twelve varieties started today... Hopefully we will have a nice long growing season... :)

IMG_20150329_151135_zps6oeagzvh.jpg

Both trays are being kept warm and DE media is damp...

The wild Grove Peppers are looking and growing well... However, the young transplants did not like the 40 degree weather on Friday night ... They perked back up after the warm sun came out... :cheers:
More updates soon....

Today I checked the frist seed tray and there is a Sulu Adana starting to peek through the DE... :onfire:
As many have said, that's an awesome feeling!!! It has been 5 days since I put the seeds in the DE...

Also, my grove peppers are growing well...
IMG_20150331_123719_zps4v3z8z3c.jpg

IMG_20150331_123726_zpsxtss82tt.jpg

The Jalapeno is also blooming and putting on fruit...
IMG_20150331_124043_zpskrxhsuiu.jpg

I got busy and cleaned the ferns out of my aquaponics bed finally...
IMG_20150331_124115_zpsnw7ag20b.jpg

I also have some squash and cucumbers germinating that I will plant around the outside of the aquaponics bed and let them hang over the sides of the fish tank.

More updates coming....

Hey! That aquaponics is looking pretty darn good.

The cold snap we had a couple nights ago was pretty horrible. When I left for work at 0400 it was 38. Luckily the peppers and tomatoes did ok thankfully. You certainly have a good amount of pepper starting to grow which is awesome. I have a tray of some varieties growing so when they really start producing I will come down with a batch for you. OK well I just needed to check in for a few, long day so im off to sleep. Keep up the awesome work

Student of Spice said:
Hey! That aquaponics is looking pretty darn good.

The cold snap we had a couple nights ago was pretty horrible. When I left for work at 0400 it was 38. Luckily the peppers and tomatoes did ok thankfully. You certainly have a good amount of pepper starting to grow which is awesome. I have a tray of some varieties growing so when they really start producing I will come down with a batch for you. OK well I just needed to check in for a few, long day so im off to sleep. Keep up the awesome work

Thanks! It was much harder than I thought to get the ferns out of the growbed...
This weekend, I may be building another IBC tank ... If I do, I would like to video tape the construction of the system... Then I can post a how-to thread for those that may be interested in setting an IBC system up... If you're off work and free, I may need a cameraman... :lol:
That cold snap did a number on some of my newly transplanted grove pepper plants... All but one came back real well and that one may still survive...  I'm glad yours made it through!!!
Take care and have a great day at work my friend!!! :cheers:

I've got a couple of new sprouts...

DSCN0174_zpsefp786fz.jpg

Sulu Adana

DSCN0175_zpsm8ez1zkf.jpg

Aji Mango

DSCN0177_zpsvzam3x2l.jpg

I also have this MOA peeking out...

DSCN0172_zpstoaywnu7.jpg

I also transplanted these grove peppers to Solo Cups...

DSCN0171_zpsomrtrhfz.jpg

While these aren't peppers, I did get great germination out of my straight neck squash seeds also...
I planted all of my germinated squash and cucumber seeds today and will pick up my tomato sets this weekend...

More updates soon!!!

Man its a really good thing you have a "couple" of acres to plant all of that on!

How is the aquaponics system going, are you putting the squash in there?

This coming weekend I am supposed to go up to the lease with the guys and do some work for next hunting season, but I would be off the following week midweek

Student of Spice said:
Man its a really good thing you have a "couple" of acres to plant all of that on!

How is the aquaponics system going, are you putting the squash in there?

This coming weekend I am supposed to go up to the lease with the guys and do some work for next hunting season, but I would be off the following week midweek

Hey Ron, Yeah I'm going to use the tractor and rototiller to get the garden area ready to plant the peppers in... I have the squash and cucumbers in DE for now and they are growing well.. As soon as they get larger, I will be planting them in the aquaponics grow bed... I hope all goes well at the hunt lease... I will be going up to my lease in a few weeks also... Be safe!!!

Grow Update:

As of this morning, I have the following varieties up in the starting tray that I started on 3/26/15 :

MOA Scotch Bonnet
Elysium Oxide Bonnet
Yellow Monster
Sulu Adana
Tekne Dolmasi
Aji Mango
Kurtovska Kapija

There are no signs of life yet from the following:

TSM Chocolate
TS Yellow
Syrian 3-Sided

As far as the plants that I bought:

My Jalapeno has several fruit growing...
DSCN0182_zpsvif1htpr.jpg

The Gypsy Pepper plant has blooms and the Grove Peppers are growing, but no blooms yet...

I also picked up some Insect Soap and Neem Oil just to be prepared...
DSCN0183_zpspuz6pwie.jpg

My Squash and Cucumbers are starting well...
DSCN0178_zpsvf9wyssq.jpg

My wife and I got five tomato plants planted in our aquaponics grow bed...
DSCN0191_zpszb9ntksx.jpg

And of course, the pepper guard is on duty!!!
DSCN0180_zpsappzqvst.jpg

More updates soon...

A quick update... As of this evening, I have the following varieties up in the starting tray that I planted on 3/26/15 :

MOA Scotch Bonnet - 5 plants
TS Yellow - 3 plants
Elysium Oxide Bonnet - 4 plants
Yellow Monster - 6 plants
Sulu Adana - 4 plants
Tekne Dolmasi - 4 plants
Syrian 3-Sided - 1 plants
Aji Mango - 3 plants
Kurtovska Kapija - 4 plants

There are no signs of life yet from the TSM Chocolate...

I also have 12 plants up in another tray that I planted on 3/29/15... Unfortunately, they are from a commercial packet of Mixed Seeds. So until they mature further, I don't know which varieties germinated... (Actually, I'm not even sure what varieties the 18 seeds I planted were... :( )

The Mixed packet contained the following varieties:

Anaheim
Ancho
Cayenne
Jalapeno
Hungarian Yellow Wax

I also planted the following varieties in this second tray, but these have not shown any signs of life yet:

Habanero Chocolate
Bhut Jokokia Red
Santa Fe Grande
Ghost Pepper - Peach
Habanero - Big Sun
Sweet Banana
Devil's Tongue - Yellow
Fresno

Again, I want to thank all of you here on THP for your advice and continued help!!!  :cheers: 
More coming soon.......

My cool weather crops did great in DE and grew fairly quick.  I think the toms and hot peppers stalled a little longer between cots and true leaves.  I still have some stubborn hots hooking.  The sweets seemed normal.  I was afraid to give them a boost and burn them.  I definitely like the ease of placing seeds and moving to GB's in AP.   It seemed to give me a little more moisture/temp control which led to better germination.   Probably more seed heads due to less friction.  I haven't tried any curcubits or legumes since I usually direct sow them.  Let me know what you think of progress compared to regular soiless mix.

Here are a few more photos:
First are the indoor seedling plants, which most are putting on true leaves...

DSCN0214_zpsg5anoac8.jpg

These seem a little leggy, but I think this is partially due to my not having planting the seeds deep enough and maybe the lighting is too far away???

DSCN0215_zpsefcejbjj.jpg

The tricotyledon is getting larger...

Next... The outside plants are growing like weeds... They have many blooms and are putting on fruit...

DSCN0218_zps2tn0ucno.jpg

The Gypsy pepper has several small fruit and appears to be health...

DSCN0217_zpsvjopzmpo.jpg

The Yellow Bell pepper is also blooming and adding fruit...

DSCN0224_zps91dv58yc.jpg

My Jalapeno is doing well also!!!

Next is the nonpepper plants in the aquaponics setup...

DSCN0223_zps8f6ysv0b.jpg

The tomato plants have grown a few inches in the first week in the grow bed...

DSCN0216_zpspqmxqgd7.jpg

These are the squash plants that I started a couple weeks ago... They should be ready to transplant into the aquaponics grow bed in the next couple of days... :)

My cucumber seeds are in the germinating tubs, along with the zucchini seeds and several more varieties of pepper seeds...

Looks awesome man! I have had such a busy week, I started the masters program for family nurse practitioner this week. The hunting trip was a bust the game cam showed all the hogs were coming out at night and I wasn't sticking around after Saturday afternoon because of having things at the house to get done. Hey so what time is everyone going down to the pepper fest sunday?

Student of Spice said:
Looks awesome man! I have had such a busy week, I started the masters program for family nurse practitioner this week. The hunting trip was a bust the game cam showed all the hogs were coming out at night and I wasn't sticking around after Saturday afternoon because of having things at the house to get done. Hey so what time is everyone going down to the pepper fest sunday?

Thanks!!!
I'm glad you got started on the Masters this week!!! That's a bummer about the hunting trip... We pretty much only hunt hogs at night, unless one walks out while we're in a stand... LOL  I haven't been turkey hunting yet this year either, there is just too much to do here at home...
I'm not sure what time everyone else will be getting there, but I probably won't be down there until 10am... I'm not sure who all is going from my family yet... LOL   Is Lori going???

FL Born said:

Thanks!!!
I'm glad you got started on the Masters this week!!! That's a bummer about the hunting trip... We pretty much only hunt hogs at night, unless one walks out while we're in a stand... LOL  I haven't been turkey hunting yet this year either, there is just too much to do here at home...
I'm not sure what time everyone else will be getting there, but I probably won't be down there until 10am... I'm not sure who all is going from my family yet... LOL   Is Lori going???
Yeah if all goes as plans she will be coming along for the pepper fest as well and we will hopefully be there around 10-11. Shoot me a text when you get down there and I will track you down. Im looking forward to some spicy treats

Student of Spice said:
Yeah if all goes as plans she will be coming along for the pepper fest as well and we will hopefully be there around 10-11. Shoot me a text when you get down there and I will track you down. Im looking forward to some spicy treats

Sounds like a plan, Ron... I'll get with you that weekend and let you know who all is going from my house and when we are leaving here... Should be a great time for all!!! I'll also contact Sicman (Jason) and see where everyone is meeting up and when...
Great Food and Great Friends = Great Memories!!! :cheers:

Some of my Jalapenos are almost ready to pick and I have a couple of other hotter pods, so I'm getting the ingredients together to make some pepper jelly...  :onfire:

Back