• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Food for growing pepper plants.

Being a relative novice at growing super hot peppers. A friend of mine reckons a fertiliser called Chilli Focus is the best thing to give them. I'm not so sure as looking at the bottle the other day it looks like chemicals. Any thing you guys can suggest to stay on the organic side of things.

i just finished giving my little guys a drink of alfalfa tea. i bought 100% alfalfa(rabbit food) in the pet section of walmart. i put a handful into one of wife's missing nylon sock(that has been sitting on our dryer for years). then i put it into a litre of water and let it sit for 24 hours. since, i have no idea how strong the nitrogen content is, i then took a cup of the tea and put into another litre bottle and filled it with water from a pail that has been sitting in my tub for days. (i should really fill the pail with snow and use it - think i'll do after i post this).

i have another pail in my tub with my bunnypoo tea and another with kelp tea. (i pick fresh jackrabbit droppings that were deposited in my yard, the kelp was given to me by a friend whose mother has distribution rights). plus, i sprinkled dried, ground up banana peels that i dehydrated, onto the soil.

can't get anymore organic than that - oh, in a covered flat that i have, there are some late germinated plants that have to play catch up, i have a co2 feed that is generated from a 2 litre bottle that has, dried baking yeast/water/sugar. air feeding is can be just as important as root feeding.

after all that you could change your member name to mr.organic......hmmm, i wonder if anyone has taken that name yet.

Being a relative novice at growing super hot peppers. A friend of mine reckons a fertiliser called Chilli Focus is the best thing to give them. I'm not so sure as looking at the bottle the other day it looks like chemicals. Any thing you guys can suggest to stay on the organic side of things.
i use Chile Focus too and im mostly an all organic guy. If you read the label it says it is manufactured from pure mineral salts and enriched with concentrated organic humic acids. I use it once a week and ive had great results.

I have never used Chilli Focus and so far hadn't found the need either.

I am not as aggressive as most, but my method has worked for me.

I use PHC seedling & houseplants 6-12-6 biofertilizer after my first pot up by means of bottom feeding until they go outside. Then I use "Pro-Gro Organic Fertilizer" until the flowering stage which I will use another fertilizer that takes them the rest of the way.

I am so far ahead of schedule from last year that they're going to be out growing their grow room. I have to milk it out until early June when the night frost is behind us. I'm going to be in real deep $hit soon!!

I have a sandy soil mix outside and I add lots of cow manure to build it up.

Like I said they're many here that crank it up a lot more than me.

Good luck!!

Cool cool.l Cheers guys for the help. Hmm not entirely sure I'll go to the extreme of picking up bunny poo lol. But least I know what to do with little ones banana peel now. Ty.

With organic type fertilizers you are feeding the soil and the microbes which then feed the plant. Raw fertilizer salts although not all bad, feed the plant and not the soil, and can actually can harm the soil over time. I like to think of chemical fertilizers like candy. It gives you a good quick boost of energy, but over time it isn't all that great for you especially if its all you're fed

Well I never. Thanks now I know how they work it should make them easier to get a healthy balance between the two type. Fingers crossed.

I use Botanicare pure blend pro gro and liquid karma. Occasionally some epsom salt when needed as well as CalMag. I have also fed bonemeal, kelp, and fish emulsion.

You can compost or grow some worms. that's cheap and actually really economic. turn your organic waste to fertilizer!

I use Botanicare pure blend pro gro and liquid karma. Occasionally some epsom salt when needed as well as CalMag. I have also fed bonemeal, kelp, and fish emulsion.

I'm using Botanicare for my first grow this year, same three ferts. Any cautionary tales on overloading any one of these? I thought CalMag and epsom salt provided the same nutrients??

Worm Castings, Bat guano, Compost tea. Just to name a few.

I'm using Botanicare for my first grow this year, same three ferts. Any cautionary tales on overloading any one of these? I thought CalMag and epsom salt provided the same nutrients??

A double dose is not twice as good!
Too much Nitro will burn your plants.
I have a few "test plants" that I experiment with before dosing them all with something new or more of something.
Epsom salt is magnesium and CalMag is magnesium and calcium. I've never tried it though.
Compost, manure, and bonemeal in the soil with feedings of fish emulsion and epsom salts is all I've done with good results. I plan on making some worm tea this year too.

A double dose is not twice as good!
Too much Nitro will burn your plants.
I have a few "test plants" that I experiment with before dosing them all with something new or more of something.
Epsom salt is magnesium and CalMag is magnesium and calcium. I've never tried it though.
Compost, manure, and bonemeal in the soil with feedings of fish emulsion and epsom salts is all I've done with good results. I plan on making some worm tea this year too.

Uffda! That sounds good.

Epsom salt is for magnesium and calmag for calcium. I don't use either unless there is a need for it. Pro grow gives most. I use Calmag when i start getting bumps
I also only give nuits about every 2 or 3 waterings. I try to use as little as possible. Once in the ground, I also use horse manure tea. I have a horse so I have a limitless supply of it.

Uffda? Are you making fun of us Minnesotans? :shame: Don't make me bust out my southern drawl now ya hear? :lol:

------------------------------------

I have friends from MN, they all respond to it (uffda), like the mating call of a bull elk. :) Now, don't get me started on Norwegian bachelor farmers!

Here on the Islands Most growers are real careful on what they put in the ground because it may end in the water you know small Island most try to grow as natural as possible. A lot of us have gone to all home made nutes and fertilizers and try to grow the soil with alot of Beneficial Indigenous Organisms no store bought stuff. I use a lot of fermented extracts and teas,compost, sea weed, fish guts,calcium oh yea i do buy epsom salt, and coco coir.

Back