Food Processor Recommendations

I've been hesitant to buy a food processor, at least in part because of the space it takes. However, I've started to consider getting one in the last few months, and am looking for recommendations for (or even warnings against) particular models. Things I'm looking for include durability, ease of use and cleaning, not overly heavy, and reasonably priced. Also, I typically only cook for two or three, so I'm not looking for something huge. Okay, and I can't stand rectangular buttons that are hard to clean because they're spaced close together, like on many blenders, so flat-panel buttons or dials are preferred. Keep in mind I'm looking for a "real" food processor - one that shreds, slices, etc., not just one that calls itself a food processor but only really chops. If it happens to have a blender attachment, that's great, but not required. I greatly appreciate your input!

Mine is a
http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/products/food-processors-8-cup-bowl-food-processor-white-70450.html
The disc blade shreds on one side and flips to slice. The blade for blending can be left out for when you just want to shred or slice. The dial is great with on in one direction and pulse in the other.

Cuisinart. Christi bought one about 15 years ago, and it is still rockin. It has everything you've mentioned you're looking for, and it has One "lever type button. Push down to "pulse" and flip up to turn "on". I can snap a pic if you want, but the new ones are even better with one portion attachments, other attachments etc. CJ's been very happy with hers, and there's a blade and a grater attachment, that's it. It takes a 2lb. block of cheddar (in pieces) and sheds it no sweat. It does sooooooo much! A MUST have for salsa, or, turning pork roast into sausage. The new ones I'm sure are much better, but I would definitely buy a Cuisinart period. PM CJ if you have any more questions!

I have a 20+ year old basic Cuisinart. I mostly use it with the metal blade and recently my 20+ yearl old metal S-blade gave out. So I bought another S-blade off of fleaBay for ~ $10 plus `$5 shipping.

Next, I was looking for a new blender/processor that could handle a larger volume per batch (something mre than the 1.5 cups the basic q-art bowl can handle) and looked at the new Quisnarts and Waring and KitchenAids. The newer, larger all-in-one models aren't getting the rave reviews they should. They were getting pretty bad reviews.

I chose to buy a reconditioned BlendTec smoothie-machine (not their full-on, best, top of the line one...which I found out later the difference~~~) But the BlendTec Smoothie machine for less than $300 will absolutely puree the snot out of ANYTHING. But That's all it does.

Maybe look at flEaBay for an older Cuisinart base and pick up the bowl and attachments separately. I LOVE my old Q-art. not sure I'd like the newer ones. I saw a mention that the vendors usually sell the apliance parts separately since usually the customer only wants the bowl, the base, the blade etc.

Thanks everyone for the input so far. Yeah, SL, I'm looking for blades to shred, slice, chop, etc., not just pureé. My Hamilton Beach blender does a good enough job for that, since I'm not working in large batches, typically. The Cuisinart Elite has my interest right now. The things that are jumping out at me are the adjustable slicing blade plus the two-bowl system gives me small-batch ability for day-to-day use, as well as larger-batch ability for when company is over.

salsalady- did you look at vita-mix when you bought the blend-tec? i've been considering getting one of those.

Thanks everyone for the input so far. Yeah, SL, I'm looking for blades to shred, slice, chop, etc., not just pureé. My Hamilton Beach blender does a good enough job for that, since I'm not working in large batches, typically. The Cuisinart Elite has my interest right now. The things that are jumping out at me are the adjustable slicing blade plus the two-bowl system gives me small-batch ability for day-to-day use, as well as larger-batch ability for when company is over.

That's exactly the one I would buy today for CJ. DO IT.

salsalady- did you look at vita-mix when you bought the blend-tec? i've been considering getting one of those.

biscgolf, I did not look at the Vita-mix. I was looking for one of those 'Will It Blend" items. I did not realize until later of the different models.

unofficial report-
bought a blendtec smoothie blender, reconditioned, off of fleBay, blender and carafe works WONDERFULL! It will blend the snot out of anything. My only gripe is I bought a reconditioned unit, and I got a USED lid that is all beat up and leaks like crazy when the carafe is even 1/2 full!

Petty griping? maybe, but not when what I'm blending costs $$$ per pound. I don't want to lose an ounce.

still in love with my old Cuisinart~~~~ :sigh:

(%M$&%^@*$Y&^) Had a really great reply typed out with details, etc and then hit the back button-

OK- short version-
something in the Amazon reviews made me shy away from the multi-function machines. I decided I needed a machine that did blending really well and didn't need all the slicing, dicing, etc. Most need the multi-function features, hope I didn't dissuade you from the multi-function machines...

No, I'm pretty much on the same page with you there. Sometimes one part breaks, then you've got this monster machine that is only half-usable, and you end up buying a separate piece, anyway. But I do know that some food processors come with a blender option (the kind where you put either the blender or the bowl on the base - I wouldn't go for one that has separate connections for each), and that kind of thing would be ok. But again, I have a blender, a mixer, a stick blender, etc., just not a food processor. Well, or a juicer, or a meat grinder, or......
icon_lol.gif

Okay - I finally got one. It's a Cuisinart 7-cup model: Here I really like the extra-large feed tube.

I went online to Macy's last night, and found them on sale for $89 - always a good thing!

Way to go Geeme. You'll love it. BTW, we do use ours for meat grinding... you just cube it up first, and viola!
That's a hullavah good price too!

Back