• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

For us mater growers

Here is my list that I am going to start on Feb 19th. Thats 6 weeks till Good Friday (April 2nd), which is kind of a tradional garden planting day. Here is my list

Giant Belgium
Cherolee Purple
Gold Nugget
Early Wonder
Azoychka

I already started a couple of Early Wonders and Gold Nuggets when I started my pepper seeds, we will see how that goes.

Kevin,

So far, everyone seems to agree on:

Biggest/Heaviest Tomato
Best Looking Plant
Ugliest Tomato (might as well had the trophy to Potawie - he grows some hideous maters!)

If everyone wants to take the time, we could do most pounds per plant (quite a PITA but I plan on keeping track for some plants). The only other category I can think of is tallest plant. My uncle had plants that he had to use a tall step ladder to pick fruit from, and that was 20 years ago. More impressive, they were not hybrids, just his growing methods.

The only other area I can think of is the season? Does it end on December 31, 2010 or should it start in April or May and run for 12 months so those in the SH can plan what plants they want to grow for each category?

Just my opinion: This is your idea so make the choices and we can play or not. Otherwise, we will be talking about this in September.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Kevin,

So far, everyone seems to agree on:

Biggest/Heaviest Tomato
Best Looking Plant
Ugliest Tomato (might as well had the trophy to Potawie - he grows some hideous maters!)

If everyone wants to take the time, we could do most pounds per plant (quite a PITA but I plan on keeping track for some plants). The only other category I can think of is tallest plant. My uncle had plants that he had to use a tall step ladder to pick fruit from, and that was 20 years ago. More impressive, they were not hybrids, just his growing methods.

The only other area I can think of is the season? Does it end on December 31, 2010 or should it start in April or May and run for 12 months so those in the SH can plan what plants they want to grow for each category?

Just my opinion: This is your idea so make the choices and we can play or not. Otherwise, we will be talking about this in September.

Mike

I like what you have up there. Cant give Potawie the ugly award cause he already grew those but I bet he has the seeds and can win that one again. Be aware Potawie, I am looking for ugly mater seeds!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be nice to make it so that the other side of the world can play but I am starting my mater plants inside on Feb 19th so that I can plant them outside on Good Friday (April 2nd). Can we make it Feb to Feb? Would that work or not. I am not sure when the Aussies season is but that is a whole year, ¿que no?

Mjd,

I was thinking more along the harvesting or maturity dates, not the starting date. True, I don't know the Aussies' growing season as well as my own, but I was going by the opposite of us north of the equator. My frost free date is the middle of May, Dereck's may be June 1 or June 15. Just thinking that those people down there may want a full year of planning and growing to compete. If their season is over by February, that's great, but if they get their biggest fruit in April... see what I mean? Us people up here can think about what seeds to sow and have a full season to do it - just trying to make sure they have the same chance!

Again, I'll play by whatever rules Kevin or the group decides on!

OK, I'm off to water my plants. Some plants have blooms and I need to quench their thirst!

Mike

I would really like to hear from our friends south of the equator so we can get a final idea of how to proceed so everyone that wants to can participate. But I think we have categories just about decided.As for the ugly ones I have seen some pics other than the ones by Potawie that where looking like mutant tomatoes from Mars lol. And some where from common OP varieties.

Kevin

Every year I get some butt ugly catfaced tomatoes off my Brandywine and others. But they still taste great!:lol:

jacob

wordwiz said:
Mjd,

OK, I'm off to water my plants. Some plants have blooms and I need to quench their thirst!

Mike

Mike, is this a sign that the plants are thirsty? Or are you just watering because you want to encourage fruit?

huntsman said:
This is my first season of growing, so I'll join the flow...

What about them Aussies?

You must have missed this.

I would really like to hear from our friends south of the equator so we can get a final idea of how to proceed so everyone that wants to can participate. But I think we have categories just about decided.As for the ugly ones I have seen some pics other than the ones by Potawie that where looking like mutant tomatoes from Mars lol. And some where from common OP varieties.

Kevin

I like how we're expanding into new and exciting subjects.

Who's in for a weed growing contest? :D

I'm in for biggest dandelion :)but I'm not wasting my time growing ugly or poor tasting varieties or dwarves again this year, been there done that. Personally this year I'm mostly after big toms and big productive tom plants as well as a large patch of opalkas for salsas and sauces

huntsman said:
Mike, is this a sign that the plants are thirsty? Or are you just watering because you want to encourage fruit?

In this case, both. It's been about two weeks since they got a good soaking but in the last three days, the sun has been making regular appearances. I've also noticed that when the plants that in are hydro have blooms, they seem to require a lot more water.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Mjd,

I was thinking more along the harvesting or maturity dates, not the starting date. True, I don't know the Aussies' growing season as well as my own, but I was going by the opposite of us north of the equator. My frost free date is the middle of May, Dereck's may be June 1 or June 15. Just thinking that those people down there may want a full year of planning and growing to compete. If their season is over by February, that's great, but if they get their biggest fruit in April... see what I mean? Us people up here can think about what seeds to sow and have a full season to do it - just trying to make sure they have the same chance!

Again, I'll play by whatever rules Kevin or the group decides on!

Mike

I'm with you, what ever the rule turn out to be I am game.

POTAWIE said:
I'm in for biggest dandelion :)but I'm not wasting my time growing ugly or poor tasting varieties or dwarves again this year, been there done that. Personally this year I'm mostly after big toms and big productive tom plants as well as a large patch of opalkas for salsas and sauces

I might be able to give you a run for your money on biggest dandelion.:lol: Also, in my garden, the varieties that produce the biggest toms also produce a few butt ugly toms at the start of the season. But I also only grow tomatoes for productivity and taste first and foremost. The big toms are a plus.

I love opalka. It is the best tasting paste IMO. Only problem is it is a little backwards in my garden. I generally lose a few tomatoes every year for BER in the beginning of the season. Not every plant or every variety, but a few. On the other hand, the opalka has developed a bad case BER in July and doesn't get over it until late August or September for the last 3 years. Maybe this year I will plant several plants, get what I can, then replace when they go downwill.

jacob

Here's what I have left after the big chill.
pix0694.jpg

Kazakhstan Heart
pix0695.jpg

Cuneo Giant Pear
pix0696.jpg

Dacosta's Portugese
pix0697.jpg

Cherokee Purple

Plants are really looking rough after a bad cold snap a few weeks ago.If they survive the maters might get to a pretty nice size due to the small amount of tomatos left.
I have started my spring crop in flats anbd they should be up directly

I think I have been sowing seeds since last February! But my main bunch, several hundred, will not be sown for about a month. It looks like that by the time they sprout and get large enough to need transplanted, I'll have a row of tomato plants in the GH ready for the compost pile, so that will give me room for at least 16 flats or 432 plants.

It's hard waiting - I have an itch to plant now. At least I have nearly 40 plants in the GH, seven decent size plants upstairs, plus lots of other seeds germinating.

Mike

Kevin,

Did you ever decide on the rules? Largest/heaviest tom? Best looking plant? Tallest plant? Most pounds per plant? Something else? Plus the date(s) it ends - maybe one for the North and one for the South Hemisphere?

I have about 42 plants growing now with another four to transplant in a week or so, then will probably plant another 70 or so in May, another 40 in September and at least 28 in December. Plus 40 more in February. I would hope to have one or two plants or fruits that might be worth entering!

Mike

Back