• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Former n00b question #01

I have several fresh chillis that I would like to cultivate.

• Can the seeds be removed and planted without being dried first?
  • If the seed still has some membrane attached, is this an issue?
Cheers! :)

huntsman said:
  • Can the seeds be removed and planted without being dried first?
  • If the seed still has some membrane attached, is this an issue?
Cheers! :)

Yes

No

I put some Jalapeno seeds in the ground yesterday from a fresh huge jap the wife bought...they should pop within a few days IMO

Hi Jack!

Always wondered about the drying of seeds - now I know! Is there any advantage at all to drying them if you're going to plant them anyhoo?

Thanks, and yeah, mine are also Jalapenos, so let's hope for the best!

Say, isn't your weather a little cold for planting this late, AJ?

huntsman said:
Hi Jack!

Always wondered about the drying of seeds - now I know! Is there any advantage at all to drying them if you're going to plant them anyhoo?

Thanks, and yeah, mine are also Jalapenos, so let's hope for the best!

Say, isn't your weather a little cold for planting this late, AJ?

I don't know if there is an advantage in drying them other than it keeps them from molding when they are in storage...

I have a long grow season here...temps through September will still be in the 90s...my first frost usually comes around the first week of december...so I still have 4 months of grow season left for them...

AlabamaJack said:
I don't know if there is an advantage in drying them other than it keeps them from molding when they are in storage...

I have a long grow season here...temps through September will still be in the 90s...my first frost usually comes around the first week of december...so I still have 4 months of grow season left for them...

i dont know wether to be jelous or smug about having snow most of the year? i do enjoy winter mostly skiing though.

im trying to sprout some serrano's for a bit on indoor growing and seeing how that goes.

Well, I live in a hot climate, so skiing gets my vote! ;)

Hey AJ, if you still have so long to plant, and have space, pm me your addy and I'll send some local stuff over...

The Jalapenos that we've been getting this summer here in Lubbock have also been huge. The markets must be getting the Jalapenos from the same source. Some of them have been bigger than my cell phone(Blackberry).

N_FF said:
i dont know wether to be jelous or smug about having snow most of the year? i do enjoy winter mostly skiing though.

im trying to sprout some serrano's for a bit on indoor growing and seeing how that goes.

You don't have to dry the seeds if you wish to germinate them right away, but I'd definitely remove all the membrane whether using them fresh or drying since it can rot and/or get moldy when wet

From my limited experience what i've noticed is seeds fresh from the pod germinate faster, as quick as 2 days with a thai pepper, 3 or 4 with a hab. Haven't noticed any difference in germination percentage or growth rate.

N_FF said:
Potawie whats your temps?

Coldest summer since the 30's but fortunately we're getting some sun today, and no rain forecasted. Its even warm enough today for shorts and a tee-shirt:cool:

POTAWIE said:
Coldest summer since the 30's but fortunately we're getting some sun today, and no rain forecasted. Its even warm enough today for shorts and a tee-shirt:cool:

yea it got to like 22 or something today. woot.

Back