• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Found peppers in Central America

Ruid said:
Hey now! I was absolutely not disparaging a race!

I was mocking the third world. Empoverished isn't a race.
glad you cleared that up..... at least we know you weren't talking about a certain kind of pepper.

Call it what you want, but keep that kind of hateful vitriol off of here please.  There are plenty of other boards on the internet that would entertain whatever prejudices you have, this isn't one.  A lot of members on here come from those countries you're mocking.  They have every bit as much value as you do.

Obviously the people are just as good as anyone. I'm sure the honest ones will freely admit that they don't exactly live in the land of opportunity.

I make fun of everyone and everything. This especially applies to the things I love most. I'm nowhere near motivated enough to hate anyone. That shit is exhausting. Lol

Ruid said:
I'm sure the honest ones will freely admit that they don't exactly live in the land of opportunity.

Check that shit right now.  I'm issuing a warning point.  You're presumptive attitude about places you do not know intimately is not welcome on this board.

I dig most of your content and as such am giving you the benefit of the doubt.  Don't prove me wrong.  

Sooo, back to this pepper. Great story Mrganjahero! Makes this one kinda special, especially to you I'm sure. It kinda sounds/looks like an Aji Dulce, which is available in Costa Rica. Did you have any of those while you were there, by any chance?

Doelman said:
take your racism to the white supremacy boards and keep it off here please

It was a stupid comment, but it was even more stupid to snowflake on it, as racism.  That's oversensitivity level 100, bro.
You do realize that if you hadn't jumped at the opportunity to call it out, the bandwagon effect would have been nullified?  What do we fear from ignoring dumb comments?
Sheesh. This is exactly how actual problems arise from total non-issues.  :rolleyes:

My wife is going to Costa Rica this week for the 2nd time in 3 weeks.  I might know a bit about this country.  I might also know how to get a positive ID on these.  Does anyone know for certain what these are, before I send her with pics?

I didnt have any of those that Im aware of. Its a possibility, though. Its just such a different pod shape, I cant call it. One of the plants is in full flower mode, lots of open flowers. I just took it and its a little dark but you get the idea.

Attachments

• AB430974-F698-4CB0-9968-8A3C05D0DE14.jpeg
    AB430974-F698-4CB0-9968-8A3C05D0DE14.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 78
Mrganjahero said:
That would be awesome if your wife was able to help with an ID, Solid7. I would love to know what these are.

I'm gonna do my best to help you out.  As you know, this is a country full of super nice people who are very much connected to the land they occupy.  We are more in tune with the coffee and cacao growers, but I'm curious now, too.

solid7 said:

It was a stupid comment, but it was even more stupid to snowflake on it, as racism.  That's oversensitivity level 100, bro.
You do realize that if you hadn't jumped at the opportunity to call it out, the bandwagon effect would have been nullified?  What do we fear from ignoring dumb comments?
Sheesh. This is exactly how actual problems arise from total non-issues.  :rolleyes:
You've made it onto my list of heroes. Did anyone else notice that the guy who JUST SPENT a year in Costa Rica was much less upset than the people who got angry on his behalf?

Ruid said:
You've made it onto my list of heroes. Did anyone else notice that the guy who JUST SPENT a year in Costa Rica was much less upset than the people who got angry on his behalf?
Enough already. As a reminder, this is the "GROWING HOT PEPPERS" section!! Take the bullshit derailments to another site.

It's probably an awesome place for growing peppers. They would likely produce until the plant died from stress.

It is an awesome place to grow peppers. Yes, they will produce indefinitely if properly taken care of. It also helps to be in the right areas. My friend and I did a run of peppers while I was down there. We were right on the coast and the temperatures were ungodly hot. It was a constant battle with ants, whiteflies and aphids. Ive never seen whiteflies like that. The conditions are much better the higher in elevation you climb. I cant remember what this plant is called but these are whiteflies.

Attachments

• F1948908-119E-4339-B074-40DDC3A6AC43.jpeg
    F1948908-119E-4339-B074-40DDC3A6AC43.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 84
Ruid said:

To be perfectly clear: I'm not on your side.  You should know better.  I have a lot of friends on this site, and I don't always agree with them.  But if you aren't clever enough to navigate through this forum, having a bit of fun, while staying within the boundaries (that aren't yours or mine to set), then you'll have earned your ban.

solid7 said:

I'm going to make this comment very short, ignoring racist behavior is normalizing it, if we continue to normalize it, it's never going to go away or at least be reduced.  Being complacent in the face of racism is the same as being racist from a social aspect.  It's easy, someone says something stupid and racist, spend 30 seconds and tell them their comment isn't acceptable, move on with your life.  That's all you have to do to be a part of the solution, it takes virtually no effort, we just have to stop being complacent.  I apologize, last time I speak of this topic.

Back to peppers, what varieties are native to the Americas? Which were brought here in the 1600-1800s? My pepper history is sorely lacking.  I always thought there were native peppers in the tropical Americas but I think I was just assuming that because they're so ingrained in the culture down there now.

Doelman said:
I'm going to make this comment very short, ignoring racist behavior is normalizing it, if we continue to normalize it, it's never going to go away or at least be reduced.  Being complacent in the face of racism is the same as being racist from a social aspect.  It's easy, someone says something stupid and racist, spend 30 seconds and tell them their comment isn't acceptable, move on with your life.  That's all you have to do to be a part of the solution, it takes virtually no effort, we just have to stop being complacent.  I apologize, last time I speak of this topic.
I didn't see any "racism" in the comment, and quite frankly, I'm exhausted by insensitive dumbasses on one hand, and the overzealous social justice warriors, on the other side.  You have better things to do with your time, than giving lectures on topics of diversity.  If you have a problem with a comment, hit the damn 'report' button, let the MODERATORS do their job, and move on with your life.  Spare us the lesson, please.  Rather than viewing you as a martyr, I view this with the same contempt as the original comment.  You mean well, I'm sure.  But from where I'm sitting, you saw smoke, and couldn't resist pulling out a gigantic fan. 
No apologies from me, but this is also the last I speak of it.

Doelman said:

Back to peppers, what varieties are native to the Americas? Which were brought here in the 1600-1800s?

Actually, it is the other way around. Chiles are native to the Americas. There is evidence that Native Americans have used chiles for thousands of years. They spread to the rest of the world through the spice trade after Columbus landed in the New World. Today, different parts of the world have their own regional cultivars, like Ghost chiles in India, Fataliis in Africa, and Thai chiles in Thailand. There are thousands of chile varieties now, spread out over the globe. But all of them can trace their ancestry back to the Americas.

Doelman said:
Back to peppers, what varieties are native to the Americas? Which were brought here in the 1600-1800s? My pepper history is sorely lacking.  I always thought there were native peppers in the tropical Americas but I think I was just assuming that because they're so ingrained in the culture down there now.

While I'm sure there are "better" histories out there a quick look turned up (Scroll down to History - Origins)Wiki-Chili pepper

BlackFatalii said:

Actually, it is the other way around. Chiles are native to the Americas. There is evidence that Native Americans have used chiles for thousands of years. They spread to the rest of the world through the spice trade after Columbus landed in the New World. Today, different parts of the world have their own regional cultivars, like Ghost chiles in India, Fataliis in Africa, and Thai chiles in Thailand. There are thousands of chile varieties now, spread out over the globe. But all of them can trace their ancestry back to the Americas.
ohh ok, I was thinking there were native chiles in the Americas and Asia.  So I guess the answer is, there are many different kinds of native peppers in Central America lol

Back