• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Found peppers in Central America

So I ate one of the pods and to my surprise there was a little bit of heat. Nothing crazy, very low heat, but there was definitely a little bite. Really exciting. One of the plants is absolutely covered in flowers and is starting to form pods all over the plant. Its going to be a super producer. I havent gotten to try a pod off that plant yet but they are looking like the other pods.

Mrganjahero said:
So I ate one of the pods and to my surprise there was a little bit of heat. Nothing crazy, very low heat, but there was definitely a little bite. Really exciting. One of the plants is absolutely covered in flowers and is starting to form pods all over the plant. Its going to be a super producer. I havent gotten to try a pod off that plant yet but they are looking like the other pods.
keep this thread updated and save lots of seeds.  :cheers:

OK, so if you've lived in Costa Rica, I don't need to tell you that Costa Ricans aren't big on getting technical about things.  Even addresses don't have numbers. (I was joking about our people living in "la casa verde fea al lado del amarillo mas feo")  In that vein, I was unable to get you a positive ID on these.  We even had a horticulturist in our camp, who couldn't identify them.

So you're on your own.  Make up a name.  Give it a Costa Rican name.   Might I suggest, "The sweet but not hot one that nobody knows the name of" - or TSBNHOTNKTNO, for short.

Sorry, best I could do...

I appreciate you looking into it. The mystery remains. Im not entirely disappointed, honestly. Ill have to come up with something to call it. The plants are full of green pods but they havent started ripening yet. Slow movers but its looking like they will all ripen at the same time. They are really pretty plants. Light green almost lime. Ill end up with plenty of seeds if anyone is interested in trades or just want a few.

Attachments

• C4BF20AE-AEF6-4811-ABA8-F195016C8E3D.jpeg
    C4BF20AE-AEF6-4811-ABA8-F195016C8E3D.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 77
  • CA857BB9-E535-412D-9B72-6F38E1F13462.jpeg
    CA857BB9-E535-412D-9B72-6F38E1F13462.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 22411B02-01F9-42A5-AF71-67EF9B03CDEA.jpeg
    22411B02-01F9-42A5-AF71-67EF9B03CDEA.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 73
The pods are starting to ripen. Its a really pretty plant. They start off ripening orange and finish red. They are fairly sweet, nothing incredible but nice flavor. Oddly, some of them i have eaten have a little tinge of heat and some have none. I should have plenty of pods in the next week or two. Ill save some of the seeds for anyone who wants some.

Attachments

• 1AEA3CF7-C04A-4D59-B89A-9C30422BEFAE.jpeg
    1AEA3CF7-C04A-4D59-B89A-9C30422BEFAE.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 71
Hey everyone! Dorian has passed and all my plants are back outside. Luckily we didnt get the worst of it. Lots of rain and wind with some strong gusts but nothing overly destructive. We were also fortunate with the tidal surge. The worst of the push happened while the tide was low here so everything off the island was spared. The island got four or five feet of sand pushed on to it. There are plenty of crews, including ours, doing our best to clean and get everything back in order.
Now to the plants. They are still pushing out peppers as the days are getting shorter and the sun begins to drop below the row of pine trees to the south of my garden. Im thinking in a few more weeks my plants wont be getting any direct sunlight. Anyways, Ive picked plenty of peppers and have saved plenty of seeds. If anyone is interested in trading or if you dont have anything to trade and just want some please send me a private message and I would be more than happy to send some your way.
Hope everyone is well and you had a fruitful summer. I know Im ready for some cooler weather. Its almost here.

I found the plant in Playa Jaco. I couldnt tell you exactly where because I dont entirely remember. But I was somewhere close to the bomberos.

Mrganjahero said:
I found the plant in Playa Jaco. I couldnt tell you exactly where because I dont entirely remember. But I was somewhere close to the bomberos.

Probably something one of the local surf bums smuggled in.  I notice a lot of those guys sell hot sauce...

Back