• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Found these at the super market.

I went to the supermarket today to get some canning wax and found these in the produce section. They were in a "Hot pepper variety" mix.

I could identify most, Cayenne, Serrano, Habanero... But there were these:

DSC_1364.jpg

DSC_1362.jpg

DSC_1358.jpg

DSC_1354.jpg

I bought all they had, along with all the habs and a few Serranos. I got right at 3 lbs of peppers for a whopping $0.87.

I haven't tried them yet, but will tomorrow.

Anyone have any idea what they might be?

I would bet my last dollar on C.Chinense. They kind of look like a Bonda Ma Jacque but shorter. What do they taste like?

Ratman667 said:
I bought all they had, along with all the habs and a few Serranos. I got right at 3 lbs of peppers for a whopping $0.87.

Holy crap! 3 pounds of hot peppers for .87 cents? The price around here is more like $3.99 per pound! This state sucks for produce prices!

they look cool :D havent got a clue what they are - you're so lucky to be able to get different types of peppers at the supermarket.. we're stuck with the usual jalepenos and thai chilli ;)

This is the first time I have seen these. We normally get Jalapinos, serranos, habs, "finger" peppers and cayennes. I'm not sure how I got them so cheap. They were listed at 4.99 a pound. When the clerk told me the price, I gave her a single, took my 13 cents of change and headed out the door without a receipt before she realized what she did.

I work 7-7 tomorrow, but I'll try my best to give one a try when I get in.

We normally have Jalapenos, Orange Habs, Manzanos, cayenne, anahiem, serranos and hungarian hot banana types around here. Hence the beginning of my own endeavors to grow a wider variety of hotter peppers. Manzanos & Orange Habs go for around $4.99 but the rest sell for $3.99 per pound.

Good on ya for the cheap pepper score!

Novacastrian said:
Hahahha, you rorted them good! Well done :D

Maligator said:
Good on ya for the cheap pepper score!

Sorry, but I've got to disagree. You knew they cost more and that the clerk made a mistake but you took them and ran instead of asking about it. That's the same as stealing in my book. Bad karma.

my 2¢

Gave it a try.

I tried one today at lunch. It has about the same flavor as a hab, but sweeter. I would call it a "candy citrus" flavor After taking a bite I had about 20 seconds to enjoy the flavor before it felt like I was sucking on the after burner of an F-16. :mouthonfire: There was nearly no lip burn. The heat hit my throat first, then my mouth and lastly my tongue. The full on burn lasted about 15 minutes, but I felt the heat for a good 45. The good news is, there was no, "hab gut" after.

I still have a few left, so I am going to cut some seeds out to see if they are still viable. I have no way of knowing if they crossed with anything, but its worth a try.

After I got home, I found this. The way he describes the pepper he ate is almost identical to what I experienced. So, Nova, you may be right about what they are.

I will definitely be keeping an eye out for more of these as I already have an idea for a blackberry jam with this in it.

Duffman said:
Sorry, but I've got to disagree. You knew they cost more and that the clerk made a mistake but you took them and ran instead of asking about it. That's the same as stealing in my book. Bad karma.

my 2¢

The clerk knew she made a mistake too, she couldn't find them in the system, so she rung them up as a different pepper. You can call it what you like, I haven't the slightest bed feeling about it.

Duffman said:

my 2¢

No he presented the produce and they asked for a particular amount of money. He gave them that amount.

I really should have said "HaHAHA they rorted themselves real good" :D

Duffman said:

my 2¢
I'll go out on a limb and agree with you. If I am overcharged I point it out as well as when undercharged.

They should cal it rat-man's Light yellow habaneros. They arent the bonda because they are darker in color . And have some different characteristics. bUT IT COULD BE A .......... CROSS.

peppermanbaha said:
They should cal it rat-man's Light yellow habaneros. They arent the bonda because they are darker in color . And have some different characteristics. bUT IT COULD BE A .......... CROSS.

Like I said, no matter what they are, they are worth trying to grow. I have about 20 seeds in dirt right now. I still have a few more peppers to dry seeds from if these don't work out.

Back