• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Freezing Super Hots?

ok, I am wanting to store some super hot peppers for using another time, can I just freeze them after taking off the stems?

If not please give me some steps to do this properly...

I apologize for not searching diligently, but I have picked about 800 peppers and need to do something before I lose them...

:onfire:  :dance: 

don't even need to remove the stems. They will be very soft, borderline mushy, when defrosted but perfect for sauce and will actually dehydrate faster after frozen due to the freeze breaking down the cell walls of the pepper.

Ive kept frozen for at least a year.

You can leave the seeds, and stem if you want. They will be best for cooking and sauces dethawed, as they will no longer have their crunch. I freeze most of mine - I rinse them first, then let em dry... That way I can go right from the freezer to whatever I'm making.

hope this is not too late....

RINSE/WASH the fresh pods before freezing!  Removing stems or not is at your discretion, but definitely wash the fresh pods before freezing. 

I usually--- wash the pods, remove the stem, cut open every pod to look for bad spots, trim as necessary, dry-or-freeze pods-

salsalady said:
hope this is not too late....

RINSE/WASH the fresh pods before freezing!  Removing stems or not is at your discretion, but definitely wash the fresh pods before freezing. 

I usually--- wash the pods, remove the stem, cut open every pod to look for bad spots, trim as necessary, dry-or-freeze pods-
Just out of curiosity SL, why do you wash them before freezing?

Back