• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Friday (night) ID lineup

Hi all,

A while back I bought a heap of plants from K-Mart really cheap, but as they have grown I've realised that the labels don't match the plants. So thought I'd put it out to the educated messes to see what others thought they might be.

Have tried to photograph fruit, leaf and flowers for all.

First off we have a group of three plants labeled as "Indian" or "Australian" Chilli. That's what's on the label, claiming two different varieties, but all three plants appear to be the same based on fruit.
The Indian is also marked as Degi Mirish, which from a bit of reading isn't likely to be correct, while the Australian is claimed to be a Papri Mild. To add more fun, the company selling them use the names Rajah and Bruce respectively.

IndianAUSml.jpg

Large version

The description of the Indian says it produces 1cm fruit with a "heat rating" of 9, while the Australian says 15cm fruit with a "heat" of 3. Well the fruit is closer to 15cm than 1cm (averaging 12cm so far) while the heat would be, based on the usual rating used (Habs are a 10) about a 7. So guessing neither is right.

Next on the list is the "Thai" chilli, also known as Prik Khee Noo Suan, or to the company selling it, Suelin.

ThaiSml.jpg

Large version

The Thai has 1.25cm fruit, with a "heat rating" of 6. The plant, however, has fruit 10-times larger, but at least they are accurate(ish) on the heat.

Any and all guesses are welcome, especially if they arrive in the next few hours while I'm drinking wine and avoiding work. :)

I have a plant that looks identical to the second pic.
Its labled a "Siam"
and yes it has a respectable heat to it, Id say a 6
I found mine at bunnings.
very capsicum (green pepper) flavour to it that I dont realy care for.
The heat profile and the mouth feel is a bit like a thai birds eye
Only not quite as sweet.

Thanks for the help all, we might be getting somewhere.

The Thai/Serrano pepper has ripened to the orange you see in the photo - which is the almost same shade as my orange habaneros - so if that adds anything to the mix...

Looking like the Siam might be close for the Thai - although it isn't like the Siam listed on the thechileman.org database, it does match the Siam Hot at g6csy.net.

They look close, but mine a little longer/thinner, and the fruit doesn't grow in clumps as the Bulgarian Carrots seem to (from what I am reading)... Fruits seem to be solo.

Still, another likely possibility. I guess that short of genetic fingerprinting, I'll never be 100% sure.

Sorry about my first post. I didn't know Kmart still existed and it just reminded me of the movie "Rain Man". :drunk: I just re-read it and noticed it could be taken the wrong way. The second pic does look like a Bulgarian Carrot, but the ones I've seen are more tapered with broader "shoulders". It looks like a good pepper either way.

At least I know what you were on about now ;)

K-Mart still exists outside of the US, even after they went belly-up in the US.

Hi all,

A while back I bought a heap of plants from K-Mart really cheap, but as they have grown I've realised that the labels don't match the plants. So thought I'd put it out to the educated messes to see what others thought they might be.

Have tried to photograph fruit, leaf and flowers for all.

First off we have a group of three plants labeled as "Indian" or "Australian" Chilli. That's what's on the label, claiming two different varieties, but all three plants appear to be the same based on fruit.
The Indian is also marked as Degi Mirish, which from a bit of reading isn't likely to be correct, while the Australian is claimed to be a Papri Mild. To add more fun, the company selling them use the names Rajah and Bruce respectively.

IndianAUSml.jpg

Large version

The description of the Indian says it produces 1cm fruit with a "heat rating" of 9, while the Australian says 15cm fruit with a "heat" of 3. Well the fruit is closer to 15cm than 1cm (averaging 12cm so far) while the heat would be, based on the usual rating used (Habs are a 10) about a 7. So guessing neither is right.

Next on the list is the "Thai" chilli, also known as Prik Khee Noo Suan, or to the company selling it, Suelin.

ThaiSml.jpg

Large version

The Thai has 1.25cm fruit, with a "heat rating" of 6. The plant, however, has fruit 10-times larger, but at least they are accurate(ish) on the heat.

Any and all guesses are welcome, especially if they arrive in the next few hours while I'm drinking wine and avoiding work. :)

I think goat horn and henklhatz

Back