• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Frito Pie Cheesecake

Much madness has ensued today in the geeme kitchen. Started off this morning with initial prep of Frito Pie Cheesecake, and am now on to my Throwdown meal. This is the cheesecake as it stands right now - final plate-up will come later, after the TD.

This came from an earlier discussion about Frito Pies - a childhood staple in Texas. I started thinking a Frito Pie cheesecake might be good. Although I had no specific recipe, I have relative experience making cheesecakes, so gave it a go. Here's teh initial prep:

Frito Pie Cheesecake

Preheat over to 350F. Line the bottom of a 9" springform pan with a circle of parchment paper.

Crust
1-1/4 cup well-crushed Frito corn chips
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 egg white
Cayenne and/or other powder to taste

Whisk the egg white, then whisk in melted butter and seasonings. Stir in crushed corn chips. Press into bottom of springform pan. Bake in oven 10 minutes, then remove and cool.

Filling
3 8-oz packages of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
4 eggs
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Cayenne powder
Naga powder
Cumin
Garlic powder
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup coarsely crushesd Frito corn chips
1 medium onion, chopped
Red and Green peppers, deseeded and placenta removed, coarsely chopped (I used 6 fresh green jalapenos, about 3" long, plus enough small red jalapenos from my freezer to balance out the color)
Olive oil (about 1 tablespoon)

Heat olive oil in a sautee pan, then sautee onion until a bit soft. Add peppers, and sautee just a bit longer. The peppers should just start to soften, but don't overcook. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, using a mixer, combine cream cheese, eggs, whippng cream, and spices until smooth. Stir in cheddar cheese, corn chips, and sauteed onion and peppers. Pour into cooled crust, and smooth out to edges.

Put in the oven, close door, then turn the heat down to 300F. Bake about 1 hour, until toothpick inserted in center comes out just moist. Let cheesecake cool on wire rack still in springform pan to room temperature.

Piccys:

Cream cheese base made, ready to stir in final ingredients:
c1.jpg

In the pan, ready for the oven:
c2.jpg

Can you seriously look me in the eye and honestly tell me you done want some of this already?1?
c3.jpg

Yep, TB, I'm sure you know what's coming!

Edit: Clarifying some of the directions.

Back