From Macomb, MI

Hi everyone,

Just started getting into growing plants. I recently have been growing Venus flytraps, various pitcher plants, sundews, etc. A lot of carnivorous plants mainly. They are quite different than peppers obviously but I have some growing experience.

Anyway, I've always been a bit of a chili head and love my spicy food. I found a jalapeño and habanero plant at a local nursery earlier in the spring/summer. A torrential downpour killed them unfortunately. They were growing outside and doing very well. In a couple months I pulled closed to 30 jalapeños and about 10 habaneros, there were still over 30+ buds/fruits on the plant before the rain drowned them.

Just ordered some seeds from Pepper Joe's. Tazmanian Habanero and another Jalapeño. I am excited to start this hobby once again. This time I would like to grow them indoors all year round to avoid the crazy weather changes here in Michigan. I have 3 2ft T5HO bulbs (2 6500K and 1 3000K, each 2000 lumens) and a 300w CFL (2700K, 2400 lumens). I was thinking about using. I also found a 600w digital ballast and bulb for sale locally I might pick up, I am not sure if that would be a good investment since I am only growing a couple plants right now.

Long intro but just letting everyone know a little background. Good growing!

Welcome from Eastpointe! This weather has sucked this year...rain, rain, rain, only a few days above 75. Enjoy the obsession! This forum is fantastic.

Welcome from Eastpointe! This weather has sucked this year...rain, rain, rain, only a few days above 75. Enjoy the obsession! This forum is fantastic.

You're right down the road! Thank you! Ya this weather has been horrible, they killed my last plants but that was my first time growing. I'd like to start some seeds and grow them inside year round with some t5ho, for only two plants it makes the most sense for me. Just going to browse the forum and get some tips from start to finish.

Just dig up most of the backyard like I did...80 plants or so. Less grass to cut! I start indoors around February/March and have had great results. Freezer is still full from last year.

Have fun. friend.

Welcome from Royal Oak, MI....;) our summer has been crazy hasn't it...luckily my peppers have been givin mgme lots of peppers though...been pickling a sheeit ton as of late..;)

Glad you found us...

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

Back