• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Fruity Hot Sauce

Ingredients:
1 Lg. Mexican Papaya
1 Pineapple
2 Lg. Ripe Mangoes
1 Med Onion
Handful of Garlic Cloves
1 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
2 Cups White Wine Vinegar
2 Tbs Salt
1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
20 Orange Habaneros
2 Bhut Jolokia
Some other Misc Peppers

Fruit going in the pot:
4958467798_7f026a745e.jpg

Added the rest of the ingredients except for the peppers:
4958467800_280ce5a812.jpg

Everything was cooked until the onions softened, about fifteen minutes. Then the peppers go in for about ten:
4958467808_a8ea67f447.jpg

Solids strained, and pureed:
4958467812_b34ee55993.jpg

Then recombined with the liquid and simmered for an additional twenty minutes.
Boiling water bath for about fifteen minutes. Here is the finished product!
4958467834_bd2df0bb06.jpg

Came out great. Nice and fruity and plenty hot. Not too hot to eat though, think I achieved a good balance there.
And managed to not gas the entire apartment this time somehow!

Can you really eat that and not die from the pain?
I might have to increase my heat tolerance.

Its really not as bad as you would think. 20 habs in 12 jars comes out to less than 2 peppers per jar.
Still very hot mind you. I bet I'm more tender tongued than a lot of the peoples around here too.

2- in 12 is light. I just made one last night with 30 and got 6 half pint jars. This still looks good. Heat can be adjusted once you find a great flavor. I think this may be my next one to try.

i made a sauce sort of like that one but mine had 100 choc habs in it and a lot more garlic but no brown sugar and no (Papaya) which is pawpaw to us in australia i just used mango and pineapple with mine

I'm going to try your recipe with the fatalli's I have frozen in freezer. I do
not have papaya, so I'll put extra mango. I will have to use canned pineapple,
no fresh. How long does this hot sauce last? I might give out some for
christmas if it taste good.

I asked the same question . Why ?
NJA- it was answered up there somewhere, but acidrain feels that by straining the liquids off, then pureeing the solids, you get a smoother consistency.

I suppose that kind of makes sense if you think about the stuff in a food processor. With less liquid, the solids come in contact with the blades much more and can be chopped up better/faster...instead of swirling around in the liquid and some pieces not getting chopped up.

I'm going to try that trick on the next batch of "whatever" that needs to be pureed.

I made sauce using this recipe this week. I used a dozen each of yellow 7 pods and fatalis and light brown sugar instead of dark cuz that's what I had. Turned out excellent. Thanks AcidRain for sharing this recipe. I usually use recipes as just a starting point but I think you got this nailed pretty much as is. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics. Hope this works:
DSC_0419.jpg

Back