• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Frydad's Hot Mess Glog

Frydad's Hot Mess Glog.

To describe my setup is kinda difficult. I am a teacher by trade, but not a teacher like you think of the term. I teach young children, old children, adults, I teach reading, writing, artithmatic, I teach people how to teach. I teach people with disabilities, I teach people without disabilities, I teach gifted people. I teach life skills, I teach marine skills, I teach social skills, I'm all over the place. Don't bother looking too far into this, it's not worth it.

Anyway, I have access, through work, to a ilghted grow cart. It was sitting in a science lab somewhere, and I took it. Squatter's rights.
My plan is to get these babies going, and then split them between my students, my home, and some for Sum.

One of the adults I teach is from Serbia. She had to go back to her home country for a wedding, and, knowing my interest in hot stuff, brought me back a couple of packs of seeds. She didn't know what they are, and neither do I, so I decided to grow them!!!!

Concurrently, I received some seeds from a THP bud that I had to start with some of my students.

My back was turned, and I don't know where the hell they planted what. It's a horrible mess. I can't wait to see what happens.
The soil, for now, is just miracle grow potting mix. Some of it is from last year's grow, some of it is new. The seeds were planted a week or so apart.

If anyone knows anything about the peppers I'm growing, advice would be much appreciated.

Here's my list:
Peperone Zuti (yellow, from Serbia)
Peperone Picante (red, from Serbia)
THP STUFF:
C. Tarahumbra
Bod'e
Amarillear
C. Sonoran

While I'm not a novice grower, I have never grown any of the peppers listed above. I have other stuff well established at home, maybe I'll share that stuff too. For now, I'm intrigued by all the new ones. I probably didn't even list their names correctly. Any advice would be helpful!
I've heard how cool the growing community is here, and I hope to contribute some fun and madness to the mix.

Here's to a good season for us all!!
FD

I think the red ones are just cayennes, I don't know about the yellow ones. Here are the packages.
DSCI0108_zpsb3db302b.jpg

Lighted grow cart in front of a crappy bulletin board that I didn't make
DSCI0111_zps4f04644c.jpg

Some of the "packaged" seeds have sprouted. I also threw some onion seeds in there. Not sure where...
DSCI0109_zps77bfe601.jpg

DSCI0113_zps74a21d8e.jpg

DSCI0112_zpsb40cbaa9.jpg

Awesome find in that grow cart there Bro! Do you know what the lights are in it? There's some threads on here all about the lights and what the best set up is. BTW, is the light moveable so you can get it down just above the babies? Those thing are jumping up like they reall want to grow. Really nice, hopefully they kept each of the cells to one kind of pepper though it might be interesting if you had a two of them get twisted up and grow into a single plant :)

Cheers to a good grow, Bro

Bill

Thanks for the well wishes. The lights are the same as I've used before but I think they are just plain ass lights. They've worked in the past.
I don't know who planted what where. It will be fun to see what happened.
Many people would stress this, but Im excited for the puzzle!
Fd

It's cool to see another cook in the " Kitchen "................I mean " Garden "

Welcome aboard and good luck with the grow.............you guys down South have the best weather...

Seeing peppers from Serbia is a first for me: Peperone Zuti and Peperone Picante, didn't evenknow they grew anything hot. I have to agree with you that the red one sure looks like a Cayenne but dang if the other one doesn't look like a yellow cayenne.

Nice to see you join the party FD. :party:

We will be here for ya when you need us :fireball:

Many great growers with lots of good advice.

Bill is not one of them ;)

Now get those babies outside. You don't need no stinking indoor set up in Florida :rofl:

Bill is not one of them ;)

LOL!!!!!

And after I laughed I realized that I would jump off a cliff if Bill told me he tried it and it made his peppers/hot sauce/beer/cooking/life experience better.

Good news. I checked my plants today, on a day off, and I have some miniscule baby sprouts happening on some of my newly-planteds.

I know I don't need the lights. but it's kind of a quick start, even down here. Plus I avoid bugs and other nasties.

You guys are awesome!

FD

Good luck with your mystery grow should be interesting to see what was planted in the end.

Your job sounds cool man! Your like the oracle for teachers.

Best wishes for 2013 season

Good to see you slumming it with the grow crew. If you are 1/4 the gardener that you are cook we will be asking you advice. We like pics here and you aren't too shabby with the camera either. *hint*

I hope to deliver on all fronts.

Anyone know what those yellow peppers are?
The package says peperone zuti.
Never heard of it.

Sorry I can't help you with the pepper ID. Good to see you here and good luck on the Hot Mess Grow. I think we are all a hot mess in one way or another. They do look like cayennes.

From what I can find it seems like an Italian cayenne type pepper. I don't know what genus. Still looking

Zuti is yellow in Serbian

Lots of sprouts there! Good job and good on you for the teaching! Only thing I noticed is it looks like you'll need to throw a fan on them babies to toughen em up a bit. Plus its always good to have the air moving around. Wonderful start!

Using a fan to toughen them up...
Wow!
And I have a small electric fan that will work perfectly!
Thanks for the tip. Fan installation scheduled for Monday!

Wow, she picked a couple of old Heirloom varieties of peppers from that region. The feferoni zuti has been getting hard to find in its region of origin and there's a movement to preserve it. http://www.google.co...iw=1190&bih=638

The other variety, feferoni crveni, is supposed to be very hot... probably cayenne hot. Both are medium long season Annuums, probably around 80 days.

Good luck with the grow guy, you've got a couple of treasures there.

The feferoni zuti has been getting hard to find in its region of origin and there's a movement to preserve it.

Thanks for the info!!!!
I hope I can cultivate enough seeds to share so we can repopulate the earth.

With zutis, not people. That would be strange.

Back