• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fungus gnats

I've heard of using a raw potato, as Yaotzin suggested, but I've not done it so I can't answer from experience. Fly tape is a necessity with whatever avenue you take. Should I get them this coming season, I'll go back to the H202. Inexpensive and very effective  :)

So far I have this list to try and get rid of them:

Water from below
Keep the top 2 inches of soil dry between watering
Potato slices might help remove larvae
Remove dead plant crap from the top of soil

Hopefully I can get rid of them soon!

I use a combination of fly tape and aquabac BTI 

aqua_bac_larvicide_300x_watermark.jpg

Or you can try mosquito dunks

http://www.aquabarrel.com/media/images/products/mosquito_dunks_group_450w.jpg

How's the fight going pepper jack? I have had a few of these guys flying around but not enough to annoy me, did realize their larvae ate the roots. When I watered this morning I noticed a bunch of mites coming out of the soil. From the research I am done they look like Hypoaspis miles. I'm nervous about getting something that will kill those because they attack the gnat larvae. Heading to the local hydro store in a little while. Really the only place that has decent gardening stuff this time of year.

Pepperjack91 said:
So I have a fungus gnat problem. I just transplanted about 12 of my seedlings for next year into red solo cups. I went and bought a new bag of potting soil because some other plants in my collection have them in the soil including some pepper plants and my avacado tree. I thought that the potting soil was the source but now I think it is a bag of compost because they are starting to show up around the new seedlings. Obviously I am going to throw that compost out. But now what can I do about the existing gnats? I know about the soapy water treatment. It hasn't worked well for me. I went to my preferred garden center and until January they are out of what they reccomend to use for fungus gnats. So does anyone have any other ideas?
Sorry to bring up an old post. Just wondering how things are going.

Well I've put a layer of sand on top of my seedlings and it seems to be controlling them fairly well. I'm giving it some time to see if they will die off
I like to grow my peppers organically so I want to avoid putting some kind of chemical into them if I can

Back