• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

funny looking leaves on plant

The leaves on the top of my trinidad scorpion plants are looking a little strange. Here are some pics of the plants. Let me know if you can tell me whats going on with them. I'm stumped.

plant1-1.jpg

plant2.jpg

I would concur with calcium deficiency, but this kind of thing is very common with peppers in my experience. So, I would get some calcium suplement, but as always with peppers, don't overdo it. Try 1/3-1/2 strength first. The leaves taht are already deformed aren't going to improve so you should really start seeing improvement in new growth after a couple of weeks, so keep that in mind.

But other than aesthetics, this is very common and not really much of a problem in my experience.

Hmmm.......Burnt growth tips and malformed leaves can also be caused by excess nitrogen, how strong is your lite source and how close is it to the tops of the plants?

The purple color on the leaves are from the grow lights I have that are tuned to the red/blue spectrum. I may have too much nitro in the pot. I used a miracle grow fert that has a npk of 15-30-15 and I hoped I diluted it enough that it was only at 1/4 strength. I also added some bone meal but was told its virtually worthless. I stopped using the fert and have used straight water. I also ordered some new fert that has a npk of 0-10-10. do you think that would help? also at what dilution should I have the calcium?

also the light source is one 24w full spectrum cfl and two 2w LED red/blue spectrum lights with 8 1/2 inch reflectors that are all about a foot above the plant itself. could the lighting be a problem? the rest of the plant looks quite healthy except for the top leaves.

That's way too far away and too weak a light source to cause any damage, I think... Also, I've had burnt tops from plants actually touching a 200w CFL, but it didn't cause any deformations in the leaves - well, apart from them being singed. :lol:

As for the calcium, the recommended dosages on the fertilizer are usually a good guide - I always use 1/3 to 1/2 strength. You're probably going to get some sort of NPK fert with added calcium anyway, so just go by the nitrogene content as you would usually.

I wouldn't play around with Cal Mag if your plants aren't deficent. Easiest way to go indoors (soil) is to use minimum amounts of Fish Emulsion,
for your nitro feed, Liquid Kelp for root and stem growth, and an occasional mist of Epsom Salt. Sure there are other products out there, the local "Brew and Grow" by me has 6 isles of them. And like some people here I also have my favorites.
As far as your plants, take them outside and flush them out with a slow running hose, until you've seen a good amount of water coming through the drain holes 2/3 minutes, I'd do that once a day for three days, your plants will come back, probably with some additional branching.
Easy on the nutes, in the future....good luck and let us know......"What's Happ-nin"

thanks for the info guys. i will give the flushing a shot. I hope it does my plants some good. I will let you know how that goes!!

just to point out one thing, I have had no problems with my plants with only the 3 lights i have been using. I hear alot of people talking about how they use 200 to 400 watt bulbs of different varieties and yet my two plants have been thriving on the bulbs I have, (except for the minor nute problem). more power may be needed for a large quantity of plants but for just two in a large pot, the 24w full spectrum cfl and 2 2w red/blue LED's are turning out to be a good choice. anyone else have similar results with lights like mine?

just to point out one thing, I have had no problems with my plants with only the 3 lights i have been using. I hear alot of people talking about how they use 200 to 400 watt bulbs of different varieties and yet my two plants have been thriving on the bulbs I have, (except for the minor nute problem). more power may be needed for a large quantity of plants but for just two in a large pot, the 24w full spectrum cfl and 2 2w red/blue LED's are turning out to be a good choice. anyone else have similar results with lights like mine?

Your lights are not an issue, if you were using 400/600/ or 1000 watters that would magnify the problem...

thats good to hear. I do have some 5-1-1 fish emulsion and i ordered some 0-10-10 liquid fertilizer. hope fully that will be all i need once my plants have been flushed.

I have a plant growing on just a 20w cfl (6400K), plus some ambient light, and it's doing just fine - fewer flowers than other plants, but it's still growing nicely and putting out pods. So, if maximum yield is not an issue and you don't want to grow a looooot of plants, you don't really need the 200+ watt bulbs. I don't know how much two 2w LEDs contribute to the cause though, I think there's a just lot of hype around using LEDs for growing right now and it's not at all clear that they are a good choice. But, if you have them, it can't hurt to use them. :)

I have a plant growing on just a 20w cfl (6400K), plus some ambient light, and it's doing just fine - fewer flowers than other plants, but it's still growing nicely and putting out pods. So, if maximum yield is not an issue and you don't want to grow a looooot of plants, you don't really need the 200+ watt bulbs. I don't know how much two 2w LEDs contribute to the cause though, I think there's a just lot of hype around using LEDs for growing right now and it's not at all clear that they are a good choice. But, if you have them, it can't hurt to use them. :)

My 25w cfl is at 5000k. Supposedly thats what natural sunlight is supposed to be at but I'm not sure. If the LED's turn out to not be doing anything then I can always switch them out for some more 25w cfl's. the one I got is putting out a nice amount of light for its wattage. LED lights is pretty new to the growing scene and new tecnology has made them far more intense than they were a few years back. those 2w bulbs are lighting up alot of my plants and the red/blue spectrum they produce is keyed right on for optimal photosynthesis/food production. I used them on their own for 2 weeks and my plant did great. Minus the grey color that the lights gave it when they were on. lol :lol:

2 watts of energy is two watts of energy... Even if all the energy were converted to light - so, a perfectly efficient light source, that would still only be 2 watts of energy - which isn't a lot. The difference in luminous efficacy between LEDs and CFL is very slight, so that 25 watt cfl is still putting out 10 times as much light as a 2w LED. (see here, for instance...)There are some considerations when it comes to the light spectrum, but again - these are slight differences - and 2watts of energy alone cannot possibly grow "a lot of plants", no matter how perfect the source in terms of both luminous efficacy and spectrum. There is a theoretical limit to what you can do with 2watts.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with using LEDs - on the contrary - they should work very well. Just not that well. Oh, and BTW, those 5000K bulbs should work just fine. :)

Back