• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Gai pad King

Tonight Thai ginger chicken

1-1/2 lbs chicken thighs debones, trimmed and sliced
2 - bell peppers 
5 or 6 srping onions cut into 1-1/2" long sections
1 cup +/- fresh ginger cut into match sticks
3 cloves garlic

Sauce

Equal parts fish, oyster, hoisin, white sugar. (I used 3 tbls of each)
Chili paste to taste
1 chicken bullion cube
1/2 to 3/4 cup water 

Cut veggies and set aside

Slice chicken ad in 3 cloves of garlic (crushed) salt an pepper to taste.

Set up cooking station. I'm using my harrow disc wok and turkey fryer but a regular wok or skillet will work.

GP1.jpg

Next get the wok screaming hot and drizzle with oil then in goes the chicken and garlic to fry for 2 minutes. Stir constantly so it doesn't not burn.

GP2.jpg

After 2 minutes add in the bell pepper and spring onion and stir fry for another 2 minutes or so. 

GP3.jpg

Next add in the ginger stir well and continue to fry for a minute or so.

GP5.jpg

Add in the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes or until the bell pepper is done to you liking. We like the bell pepper to be al dente. 

GP7.jpg

Serve with jasmine rice. I like to use a 3/4 measuring cup to make a rice ball. Drop that in the middle of a bowl then surround with the Gai pad Thai and ladle the juice over the top.

GP8.jpg

Enjoy!

It an 18" disc off a plow. Weld the axle hole shut, wire brush the paint off it and then season it like cast iron. I like it over a traditional wok as it about 3./16 thick and holds heat really good. Also its shallow so it works kind of like a flat top for frying burgers and cheese steaks. 

If you look up discada, cowboy wok or harrow wok you can find then already made or if you local to a Tractor supply the disc's are $21.99 and roll your own. 

Um pad thai where's the noodles?

Back