• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

"Garden Safe" Brand, "Houseplant & Garden" Insect Killer

My peppers have become infested with Aphids. I bought some of this stuff at Walmart to use on them and put the first application on this evening.

I'll post how well it works.

From the label:

"Garden Safe" Brand
"Houseplant & Garden"
Insect Killer

Kills most harmful insects, including but not limited to: Ants, Aphids, Armyworms, Bagworms, Beetles, Caterpillars(including Tent), Chinch bugs, Clover mites, Crickets, Cutworms, Earwigs, Firebrats, Fruit flies, Grasshoppers, Green bugs, Green fruitworms, Green June beetles, Japanese beetles, Lace bugs, Leafhoppers, Leafminers, Leafrollers, Lice, Maggots, Mealybugs, Millipedes, Mites, Moths, Pillbugs, Rootworms, Sowbugs, Spittlebugs, Stink bugs, Thrips, Ticks, Tomato hornworms, Webworms (including Garden, Sod), Weevils, Whiteflies.

Ideal for use on following houseplants, roses, flowers and ornamentals: African Violets, Azaleas, Begonias, Camellias, Dahlias, Dogwood, Roses, Wandering Jew, Asters, Carnations, Chrysanthemums, Geraniums, Gladioli, Marigolds.

Ideal for use on most vegetables, herbs, fruits and nuts, including but not limited to: Almond, Apple, Apricot, Arugula, Basil, Bean, Beet, Blackberry, Blackeyed Peas, Blueberry, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Chamomile, Cantaloupe, Carrot, Cauliflower, Celery, Cherry, Chives, Corn, Cranberry, Currant, Curry Leaf, Eggplant, Endive, Garden Peas, Garlic, Grape, Grapefruit, Honeydew, Horseradish, Lemon, Lentils, Lime, Lettuce, Melon, Mint, Nectarine, Onion, Orange, Parsley, Peach, Pear (Bitter Melon), Pepper (including Bell, Chili), Plum, Potato, Pumpkin, Radish, Raspberry, Sage, Snap Bean, Soybeans, Spinach, Strawberry, Summer Squash, Sweet Bay (Bayleaf), Sweet Potato, Tangerine, Tomato, Watermelon, Yam, Zucchini.

I've used it alot. I actually use the 3-in-1 Garden Safe Pesticide. For small infesttions it works (as far as aphids go). For larger infesations, use pure Neem Oil. For funguses it works almost overnight.

The Garden Safe Made by Shultz is some of the best I have ever use and have been useing it for years! I think you will like what you see from how it works.

I had a problem with spider mites for a while and especially it seemed after the rain. I used that stuff you mentioned and it worked well. Make sure you check under the leaves.

JayT said:
I had a problem with spider mites for a while and especially it seemed after the rain. I used that stuff you mentioned and it worked well. Make sure you check under the leaves.

Thanks JayT, I doused them all from the top and then leaned all the containers on their sides and sprayed underneith all the leaves until they were good and wet.

Talas, I've been thinking about trying one of these self made solutions. Glady, all my outdoor plants had no aphids this season, so I didn't need to try it. Indoors, I prefer neem and a commercial product in case neem doesn't do the job.

Good luck with your plants, Nat! Hope you'll get rid of these nasties!

Nat...this past March & April, I fought aphids inside continually...I used Neem Oil, The Garden Safe insecticide, and Safer Soap. The neem seemed to work OK at first but the aphids hung in there...then I used the garden safe because it is a contact killer, the next application was using safer soap ( http://www.planetnatural.com/site/insecticidal-soap.html ) and that is all I use today....thats what works for me...JMO

Chiliac said:
Talas, I've been thinking about trying one of these self made solutions. Glady, all my outdoor plants had no aphids this season, so I didn't need to try it. Indoors, I prefer neem and a commercial product in case neem doesn't do the job.

Good luck with your plants, Nat! Hope you'll get rid of these nasties!

Thanks Chiliac! It's interesting how different things work for different people and places. IGG says he uses the neem oil for larger infestations in case the Garden Safe doesn't work and you use a commercial product in case the neem doesn't work. On the spot conditions make the use of different approaches to a cure warranted and this proves that only the person at that spot can know what works best for them.

Since I've "flipped the coin" and tried the commercial product first, I'll see how it works and then, like you, if it seems to not work to my satisfaction, I'll switch to the neem and give it a try.

Thanks again for the advice! :onfire:

AlabamaJack said:
Nat...this past March & April, I fought aphids inside continually...I used Neem Oil, The Garden Safe insecticide, and Safer Soap. The neem seemed to work OK at first but the aphids hung in there...then I used the garden safe because it is a contact killer, the next application was using safer soap ( http://www.planetnatural.com/site/insecticidal-soap.html ) and that is all I use today....thats what works for me...JMO

Hey AJ, thanks for the information! Your beautiful garden is ample proof of your successful decisions about managing your pest control. I swear, while looking at your photos, my jaw was hanging open and I was as wide-eyed as a kid in a candy store looking at the racks of candy. Damn! What a sight!!

With our hard rains, the tops of the leaves were deceptively clean of aphids and I didn't look under them until I saw evidence of damage. It turns out that I was almost too late. About 50 percent of the bottom of each leaf was a large colony of aphids and they decimated the plants. Enough of each plant is remaining to allow them to rejuvenate, so it looks like everything will work out.

I may switch off as you did with the safer soap.

Thanks again for your advice!

Thanks Nat...as I have said many times before...the reason the garden looks good is because of this forum and the advice from members I have received here...I have of course read thousands of pages about peppers and just can't seem to get enough....everywhere I go, if I see anything about peppers, I am not too busy to read it...I asked the dentist I go to if I could have a national geographic that had a great article about peppers in it...he didn't give me the magazine but copied the article in color for me...nice guy and I think he is now turning chili head...I gave him a Super Cayenne II Hybrid, a Purple Tiger, a couple of jamaican yellows and reds, and a Trinidad Scorpion...he says they are growing really well and fruiting more than he can believe...he is going to save the seeds for the T Scorpion for me and give me some of the ripe fruit...his scorpions are dimply, some have tails some don't, but they all are "yellow orangish" as he describes...I like turning people on to the pleasures of raising peppers...

damn what a tangent I just went on...

AlabamaJack said:
I asked the dentist I go to if I could have a national geographic that had a great article about peppers in it...he didn't give me the magazine but copied the article in color for me...nice guy...

Is this the article you were reading?

If so, this is the contact information for anyone interested in obtaining a copy:

Although the full texts of articles are not generally available online, many back issues can be purchased through our single copy sales office. Please email them directly for information on price and availability at Ngs.single@customersvc.com.
Publication: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine
Title: Hot Pod
Alternative Title(s): World’s Hottest Chilies
Variant Title: Department : Culture
Date: May 2007
Volume: v. 211, no. 5

Contributor(s): Barker, Catherine L. Author
Subject(s): Chili peppers
Cooking
Food
Horticulture
Medicine and health
Peppers
Plants
Spices

Notes: Included: Photos of Dorset naga, jalapeño, Thai, Scotch bonnet, and tabasco peppers.

Also included: Joy Michaud; Michael Michaud; Pakistani market; Dorset, England; capsaicin; Bangladesh; naga morich; contenders in the race for world’s hottest pepper; jolokia family; naga seeds; Scoville heat units (SHU); [Science] (journal); chili pepper may be the oldest seasoning used in the Americas; chili pepper residue found on cooking tools at an Ecuadorian site; medicinal uses of capsaicin; arthritis; topical creams; mood boost; beta-endorphins; "runner’s high"; congestion relief; nasal passages; metabolic activity; appetite suppressant; chart showing heat index ratings for sweet bell peppers, jalapeño, cayenne, serrano, Thai, Scotch bonnet, red habanero, tabasco, chocolate brown habanero, Dorset naga, and Bih/Bhut jolokia peppers.

NatGreenMeds said:
Is this the article you were reading?

If so, this is the contact information for anyone interested in obtaining a copy:

Although the full texts of articles are not generally available online, many back issues can be purchased through our single copy sales office. Please email them directly for information on price and availability at Ngs.single@customersvc.com.
Publication: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine
Title: Hot Pod
Alternative Title(s): World’s Hottest Chilies
Variant Title: Department : Culture
Date: May 2007
Volume: v. 211, no. 5

Contributor(s): Barker, Catherine L. Author
Subject(s): Chili peppers
Cooking
Food
Horticulture
Medicine and health
Peppers
Plants
Spices

Notes: Included: Photos of Dorset naga, jalapeño, Thai, Scotch bonnet, and tabasco peppers.

Also included: Joy Michaud; Michael Michaud; Pakistani market; Dorset, England; capsaicin; Bangladesh; naga morich; contenders in the race for world’s hottest pepper; jolokia family; naga seeds; Scoville heat units (SHU); [Science] (journal); chili pepper may be the oldest seasoning used in the Americas; chili pepper residue found on cooking tools at an Ecuadorian site; medicinal uses of capsaicin; arthritis; topical creams; mood boost; beta-endorphins; "runner’s high"; congestion relief; nasal passages; metabolic activity; appetite suppressant; chart showing heat index ratings for sweet bell peppers, jalapeño, cayenne, serrano, Thai, Scotch bonnet, red habanero, tabasco, chocolate brown habanero, Dorset naga, and Bih/Bhut jolokia peppers.

Cheers Nat gonna grap me a back issue of that..sounds a good article :)

talas said:
Cheers Nat gonna grab me a back issue of that..sounds a good article :)
I'll bet they're going to wonder why they've received so many requests for it all at once.....

I just asked for it as well.....:onfire:

by gosh, I believe that's it....thanks Nat...

The best thing to do is look at the plant and see how it looks and see if you have anymore Aphids if you do give the another round if not just keep a check on the plant and in a few days spay a preventive protection to the plants to be on the safe side of not having anymore Aphids or any other critter to do damage your plant

Back