• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Geist's 2012 grow log

This is my 2nd year growing peppers seriously and the first with superhots. I grow by windowlight because I'm in an apartment and finishing up university. These pics were taken today.

First, these are my year old plants from last year. They were all pruned back to nothing when winter started and this is all new growth. Thankfully, they all survived the lowlight winter conditions with almost no problems. Since I only have 2 windows that get enough light to grow, I can't keep all my year olds if I want to grow some new strains. Thankfully, my parents have 3 acres to plant in at their place so I'll pick which ones to throw in the ground this spring to get one last big harvest from them.

This is currently my favorite plant. It's a thai pepper but puts off pretty fat pods with a ton of heat. The plant itself also grows extremely well and green even in the winter while the other plants were hibernating. I'll be keeping this one for sure.
qu7js.jpg

Another thai that produced all winter, albeit slowly. I'll probably plant this one at my parents'.
swj3d.jpg

Here's 3 jalapeno plants that I fused into one. The pods aren't very big or hot but I don't just wanna throw it away. I'll plant this at my parents' house too because they like milder peppers.
egEUS.jpg

These two pics are red habs. There are several plants in the containers as I was doing a clumping experiment. I'd rather just grow one adult plant per container from now on. One plant always seems to get shaded out.
AcZaE.jpg

P96Cs.jpg

This cali wonder bell pepper did very poorly not only during the winter but during last summer too. The pods never got much bigger than the one on the plant now. It also hardly branched at all which I thought was really strange. Maybe bad genetics? It might not even be worth planting in the ground.
DnyQr.jpg

Here are some of my peppers getting some window light.
NGGZI.jpg

So for the 2012 season my grow list looks like this as far as peppers go.

Fatalii
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Yellow 7 pot
Red habs
Thai peppers
Bell peppers (maybe..)
an unknown f2 dubbed "franken pepper" by its grower, praxxus on youtube.

Here are the franken peppers. I love the idea of growing mixed breeds as you never know what kind of pods and heat level you'll get.
XTRPc.jpg

Here is my poor man's germination station.
YdUr6.jpg

Special thanks to spicegeist for sending me Fatalii, yellow 7 pot, and yellow bhut seeds. It was very cool of him.

That 2nd red hab looks great for bein in a water bottle. I would go pick up a few small nursery pots at the local garden supply. Give em a bit more room to spread the roots and your gonna need a bigger window!

Looks like you are doing well and having a small room isnt holding you back at all! Good luck with the new babies.

Your plants are right on, Geist - great results for window growing!
Don't need no stinkin' greenhouse!

Good stuff Jeremy! +1 to the bigger pots recommendation. Even a 1 gallon pot would make a huge difference...lol. Also, I am really liking the twisted fusing you did! I do a little bonsai and bonchi, and those would be a great candidate for that. Plus it would keep them small for your window grow. Of course your production would be slower as well.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to much of the same with your new ones.

Just a quick update. Finally got at least one tail each on the Fataliis, Bhuts, and 7pots. Guess I got spoiled with the super quick annumm germination times I'm used to. =]

Just a quick update. Finally got at least one tail each on the Fataliis, Bhuts, and 7pots. Guess I got spoiled with the super quick annumm germination times I'm used to. =]

Was that ~5 days then? Not that bad for chinenses really... hope they grow strong for you.

Ok, here's a quick update.
Here are my frankenpeppers. They're definitely a bit leggy since I started them in dim sunlight. Might top them to strengthen them up a bit. I also have a light fan breeze on all of them.

Here's my fatalii pepper. It recovered nicely from not growing roots at all in the ziplock bag like the other strains. It took this whole month to finally get roots and get its true leaves.

Here's a yellow bhut jolokia pepper.

Here's a yellow 7 pod and yellow bhut jolokia.

Here's a kind of side experiment. It's a roma tomato in very little soil. I don't really have room for this plant but that hasn't stopped me before.. ha
nDY4Y.jpg

Your plants and starts are looking good, G.
Keep up the good work!

Hey all. Now that the semester is over and some stress has lifted I finally decided to update my grow log.
The plants are doing pretty well. They definitely need potting up and since I finally have some free time, I'll be able to really baby these guys for this summer. So this week, I'll try to get all of them from red cups up to at least a 2 liter container so they can stretch their legs.

Here are my two red habanero plants.
BwN0I.jpg

L8mGg.jpg

My four hybrid (franken peppers)
8MWKJ.jpg

A few samples of the morphology differences on the hybrid peppers.
QjKR0.jpg

iy6SZ.jpg

2 yellow bhut jolokia pepper plants. They're looking healthy.
eVxS6.jpg

My yellow 7 pod plant.
nhHT1.jpg

The fatalii has made a full recovery from its root problems and is now looking healthy. He's a little behind his brothers in growth but I'm just happy he survived.
1uJk5.jpg

A window jungle.
wY9Ez.jpg

The peppers I've harvested so far this year.
0tG5M.jpg

Wow, those guys look healthy and it is pretty amazing how big they are for such small pots! Get em some bigger shoes and see em explode!

All the superhots are in 2 liter containers now. I'm thinking I might have to plant the frankenpeppers and maybe the year old habaneros at my parents house because as you can see from the jungle pic, I'm really hurting for grow area. It sucks to give plants away but i wanna make sure the superhots get all the light they can in my limited space.

Back