• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Genetikx 2018

First time doing a glog but have followed others for years now. I don't expect monster 5' plants being just north of Chicago but I do expect to have a good time in the dirt and to neglect pulling weeds a time or twelve. The goal is grow a ton of peppers for sauce and maybe even get into powders this year.

We're currently rocking a 4' 4 tube hydrofarm T5, which I think is an awesome fluorescent. In the past I've supplemented with regular shop lights in the seedling stage and for overflow but might get another proper T5 soon. First time growing in this new house so hopeful to avoid mites, aphids, and the like. I'll end up throwing some plants in the backyard and then also claim a spot at the community garden.

Best of luck to all the awesome grows here at THP. Hope everyone has a great 2018.

Here's the grow list, subject to change just a little bit

Aji Amarillo
Aji Pineapple (WHP)
Andy's Chocolate Reaper Scorpion (WHP)
Bahamian Goat (AJDrew)
Bahamian Goat (Fiogga)
Bahamian Goat (WM)
Bih Jolokia X Sugar Rush Peach (WHP)
Blue Christmas (D3)
BOC
BOC X Aji Pineapple (WHP)
Brain Strain Yellow (one from my seed stock, one for grow down)
D3 Goat Giant
D3 Goat Yellow #4
El Scorponero #6 (D3)
EOB Mustard (I have just one seed lol, fingers crossed)
Fatalii White (WHP)
Flexosoum (Romy)
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Peach (AJDrew)
Habanero Peach (Paphlady)
Habanero Purple (WHP)
Jalapeno Biker Billy
Jalapeno Zapotec
OBEAH (Bumpy Lobed)
Omni Bonnet (D3)
PDN X Bonda Ma Jacques (PaulG)
Peach Ghost
Peach Ghost SS
Scotch Bonnet Allen Boatman (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet Belize
Scotch Bonnet Chocolate (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Scotch Bonnet MOA (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet P Dreadie Select (mpicante)
Scotch Bonnet P Dreadie Select (Trident)
Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Scotch Brain
Scotch Brain Long X Yellow BBG7 (Trident)

Damn, dude. These are really coming along now!

I'm waiting until 2nd week of march to start most of my annuums. I have a finite amount of space and can't fit everything in. So doing my first batch of chinense, then I'll do my second batch of annuums once those move out of the seedling room.

TrentL said:
Damn, dude. These are really coming along now!

I'm waiting until 2nd week of march to start most of my annuums. I have a finite amount of space and can't fit everything in. So doing my first batch of chinense, then I'll do my second batch of annuums once those move out of the seedling room.

Thanks Trent! That's a smart plan with the annums. This guy popped his head out of dirt 1.5 months ago and is bigger than most of the jalas I buy at the nursery in May. Could have and probably should have waited for the annums but space isn't a big concern... Worst thing that can happen is I need to more dirt to keep potting them up

VS000ra.jpg

Oh my god that thing is a monster.

I started some test trays 1/25, half of which were annuums, and I'm already nervous that I'm going to have monsters on my hands by May. Yours are enormous by comparison; amazing what an extra 25 days of growth does once they "get past toddler stage" :)

On the flip side, if you can keep them happy and rocking indoors until early May or so, you're going to have a massive amount of production.

You planning to swap out the 6500k lights for 3,000k when they start to set buds? Hell, I would. With that sort of early growth I'd certainly want to support flowering when they're ready (and that Jalapeno looks like it's about there!)

TrentL said:
On the flip side, if you can keep them happy and rocking indoors until early May or so, you're going to have a massive amount of production.

You planning to swap out the 6500k lights for 3,000k when they start to set buds? Hell, I would. With that sort of early growth I'd certainly want to support flowering when they're ready (and that Jalapeno looks like it's about there!)

I've considered it but what I don't know is what that does to other plants that aren't as big. What I mean is I'd rather maximize vegetative growth of my chinense instead of inducing flowering when they're not ready, just to get some late may jalas. Don't think I've got lights that I could dedicate to the 4 or 5 annums I'm growing. If my thinking is flawed there let me know, I'd give 3k a whirl late April if all the plants benefit

I started a couple plants that I didn't research very well, turn out they are annuums. And the scotch bonnet x bell I started a couple weeks later definitely look like they are gonna be Giants.

Genetikx said:
I've considered it but what I don't know is what that does to other plants that aren't as big. What I mean is I'd rather maximize vegetative growth of my chinense instead of inducing flowering when they're not ready, just to get some late may jalas. Don't think I've got lights that I could dedicate to the 4 or 5 annums I'm growing. If my thinking is flawed there let me know, I'd give 3k a whirl late April if all the plants benefit

Well, another idea is to pick up some cheap bulb holders and some 200w equivalent CFL's in the 2700-3000k range and put those annuums under them somewhere away from the chinense.

Also I didn't know any better a few years back and ran a mix of 2700k and 6500k CFL's on seedlings clear through to plant out and it didn't cause me any issues. I had big healthy plants.. which just happened to mostly be flowering by the time they went out in the dirt :)

xStYBql.jpg

Do you have a 2-switch 8-bulb light? You could put 2700k's on the inner 4 slots and 6500k's on the outer 4. Most combo grow/bloom lights are set up like that out of the box.

(Also the mesh screen around the lights in the room was because I'd released 5,000 ladybugs to kill aphids, and the ladybugs were attracted to the light; which was suicidal to them, and made quite a stinky mess)

Genetikx said:
Thanks Trent! That's a smart plan with the annums. This guy popped his head out of dirt 1.5 months ago and is bigger than most of the jalas I buy at the nursery in May. Could have and probably should have waited for the annums but space isn't a big concern... Worst thing that can happen is I need to more dirt to keep potting them up

VS000ra.jpg
I made that same mistake last year also, started everything at the same time. This year I started Chinense January 18th (was supposed to be on the 1st, lol) and my Annuum's and Baccatum's will hit the dirt this weekend if I get time.

Edit: also you could top them, that'll slow 'em down a bit and they'll be hella bushy by the time they do go outside.

TrentL said:

Well, another idea is to pick up some cheap bulb holders and some 200w equivalent CFL's in the 2700-3000k range and put those annuums under them somewhere away from the chinense.

Also I didn't know any better a few years back and ran a mix of 2700k and 6500k CFL's on seedlings clear through to plant out and it didn't cause me any issues. I had big healthy plants.. which just happened to mostly be flowering by the time they went out in the dirt :)

Do you have a 2-switch 8-bulb light? You could put 2700k's on the inner 4 slots and 6500k's on the outer 4. Most combo grow/bloom lights are set up like that out of the box.
As I was typing the message about not having a light I could use for just these 5 annums, I did glance at these I have waiting in the wing. I used these last for additional overflow lighting

B3cHy88.jpg

I have 6400k bulbs in there but could easily swap them out, or buy an extra fixture or 2 if needed. As for my main 4' T5, it does have 2 switches but came with 8 6500k bulbs. Not a bad idea to throw in half in the 3000k range. I'd probably just mess with those little spotlight guys though first.

And yea, I saw and read about your aphid wars lol damn do you do anything on a small scale?

U)<now said:
I made that same mistake last year also, started everything at the same time. This year I started Chinense January 18th (was supposed to be on the 1st, lol) and my Annuum's and Baccatum's will hit the dirt this weekend if I get time.

Edit: also you could top them, that'll slow 'em down a bit and they'll be hella bushy by the time they do go outside.
I'm not sure if I ever grew annum from seed but certainly was not ignorant to all the warnings to wait. It's all good, hope they're huge at plant out.

I'll probably top but I prefer to clip lower leaves first, to get those internodal leaves popping. That will also slow down the height since the plant focuses on recreating those lower leaves. I want tall and bushy not short and bushy if I can help it

Genetikx said:
I'm not sure if I ever grew annum from seed but certainly was not ignorant to all the warnings to wait. It's all good, hope they're huge at plant out.

I'll probably top but I prefer to clip lower leaves first, to get those internodal leaves popping. That will also slow down the height since the plant focuses on recreating those lower leaves. I want tall and bushy not short and bushy if I can help it
Sounds like a good plan to me!

Genetikx said:
And yea, I saw and read about your aphid wars lol damn do you do anything on a small scale?

Yeah, once upon a time. My 2012 grow was a few plants (jalapeno and habanero) in pots that I bought at a nursery. 2013 was a couple dozen, I started them WAY too late (March 31 if I recall) and they didn't produce much of anything. 2014 I tilled up 2500 sq feet of the front yard (wife questioned my sanity at that point) and I did 272 plants; started them Feb 22nd. Had a killer harvest.  I actually went out and bought a dedicated deep freeze just for peppers, and a small scale commercial dehydrator. Made about 8 pounds of flake.

2015 was an aborted year. Started a grow, got them hardened off and potted up, then got too busy with work to tend it. 

I'd gotten so hooked on heat that first time I ate an ultra hot there was just no looking back. First time I tasted a 7-pot I was done for. Now I'm not happy when eating, unless my mouth is on fire and I'm sweating like a nun in a cucumber patch. 

Genetikx said:

VS000ra.jpg
Looking good nice green color are you going to top any of them?

Sinn said:
Looking good nice green color are you going to top any of them?

Only if they outgrow my basement and I need to make room. I tend to clip leaves first to get the side shoots more light. The taller the better for me

Genetikx said:

VS000ra.jpg

Great looking plants, everything so nice and healthy.

Looking really good Genetikx

Back