• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Genetikx 2018

First time doing a glog but have followed others for years now. I don't expect monster 5' plants being just north of Chicago but I do expect to have a good time in the dirt and to neglect pulling weeds a time or twelve. The goal is grow a ton of peppers for sauce and maybe even get into powders this year.

We're currently rocking a 4' 4 tube hydrofarm T5, which I think is an awesome fluorescent. In the past I've supplemented with regular shop lights in the seedling stage and for overflow but might get another proper T5 soon. First time growing in this new house so hopeful to avoid mites, aphids, and the like. I'll end up throwing some plants in the backyard and then also claim a spot at the community garden.

Best of luck to all the awesome grows here at THP. Hope everyone has a great 2018.

Here's the grow list, subject to change just a little bit

Aji Amarillo
Aji Pineapple (WHP)
Andy's Chocolate Reaper Scorpion (WHP)
Bahamian Goat (AJDrew)
Bahamian Goat (Fiogga)
Bahamian Goat (WM)
Bih Jolokia X Sugar Rush Peach (WHP)
Blue Christmas (D3)
BOC
BOC X Aji Pineapple (WHP)
Brain Strain Yellow (one from my seed stock, one for grow down)
D3 Goat Giant
D3 Goat Yellow #4
El Scorponero #6 (D3)
EOB Mustard (I have just one seed lol, fingers crossed)
Fatalii White (WHP)
Flexosoum (Romy)
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Peach (AJDrew)
Habanero Peach (Paphlady)
Habanero Purple (WHP)
Jalapeno Biker Billy
Jalapeno Zapotec
OBEAH (Bumpy Lobed)
Omni Bonnet (D3)
PDN X Bonda Ma Jacques (PaulG)
Peach Ghost
Peach Ghost SS
Scotch Bonnet Allen Boatman (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet Belize
Scotch Bonnet Chocolate (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Scotch Bonnet MOA (WHP)
Scotch Bonnet P Dreadie Select (mpicante)
Scotch Bonnet P Dreadie Select (Trident)
Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Scotch Brain
Scotch Brain Long X Yellow BBG7 (Trident)

Bhuter said:
I just went back and looked at your growlist. You're growing some mighty tasty peppers. I was expecting face-melting varieties and you surprised me with the more edible heat range with great flavor. I'm wondering how these Peach Scotch Bonnets from Justin (WHP) will taste.
That's the goal from here on out... altho I could be talked into a cinder if all goes well this year. Thanks for getting your glog going, we all could use something new to look at

Devv said:
Some sweet looking plants Ryan!

Sorry to read about the BLS; and I'm glad you removed them. You're so correct, most times it comes in the seeds.

Keep it green!
Thanks! It's all good, that's why we start with 90 when we only need 30 :)

I'm more of a chef than a baker which means I prefer to eyeball ingredients and use best judgement of how much. So I decided to make some soil when I did my last pot up. My recipe was essentially 5 gallons of promix -- whatever Menards carries without any nutes. To that I added an additional gallon of perlite and a little epsom salt. Then I eyeballed about a 1/4 cup of that Dr Earth fertilizer I've been using, not a liquid.

2 things happened. I finally got the growth spurt I've been waiting for. And I probably went a little heavy on the ferts. Plants got very green and some leaf burn here and there, too much nitrogen I suspect. This resulted in having to over water when waterimg was needed, to try and get a little flush. That resulted in a little edema. Still, pretty happy where these are at.
jEoXXDu.jpg

You might be able to make out where one trays is really green and the next more yellow green. The yellow green ones didn't get repotted or new nutes. They're still doing good
YaP8LOO.jpg

Blue Christmas first to sprout, first to fruit
VAiJcA9.jpg

PtMD989 said:
They all look great to me. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some better than others but yea these'll do

b3rnd said:
Love the sea of green. Very nice looking plants! That Blue Christmas has an almost mesmerizing colour, very pretty.
Thanks, hope it turns into a sea of pods. Blue Christmas is just fill of beautiful purple flowers. Hope it tastes OK

Walchit said:
When's dirt day?
Right after these get their 3rd set of leaves lol. Still got seedlings going smh...but biker billy's did get flowers after a month so I think these will be fine. 4 biker billy's, 4 aji cito, 2 aji mango...couple toms
oneqUKf.jpg

Weather is good enough to harden off now but won't be warm enough to stay outside for 3+ weeks I'm betting so will start to harden 1st to 2nd week of May

My Biker Billy is also a month old and I just pulled 4 buds off of it. One flower was about to open and I decided it was too tiny to support any jalapeños yet. I thought about it for a while before doing it. Lol. I know it's an annuum, but the first node had 2 buds coming from it. I've seen it before in bells, but only ever on the first node.

I too have small late starts, as usual. I know yours will do well and catch up. Things are looking great! You will definitely have quite the crop this season. Very healthy, sturdy, and beautiful! Jealous ova hea!

Bhuter said:
My Biker Billy is also a month old and I just pulled 4 buds off of it. One flower was about to open and I decided it was too tiny to support any jalapeños yet. I thought about it for a while before doing it. Lol. I know it's an annuum, but the first node had 2 buds coming from it. I've seen it before in bells, but only ever on the first node.

I too have small late starts, as usual. I know yours will do well and catch up. Things are looking great! You will definitely have quite the crop this season. Very healthy, sturdy, and beautiful! Jealous ova hea!
You're too kind, Adam. Can't wait to see your season progress too

karoo said:
Nice pics , great looking plants!

Can't wait to see them in the dirt.

You and me both my friend. Love em like they're my kids but can't wait to evict them! Lol

For anyone newer to growing chiles, this is where you can seriously screw up your grow...the harden off. I admit I usually screw up at least a few plants getting impatient or neglect for even a half hour longer than I should have. Plants have been in the house for 4 months, this is not the time to fnck it all up.

CqG6I2M.jpg

That's about half of them. Going in stages this year since I won't be able to plant them all the same day/weekend anyway.

Didn't take long to get some wilt so I moved most into the shade. Going to be low 70s today but a lot of wind.

Bhuter said:
Wow! Look at that forest of little trees! Only half of them?! Whew! They look fantastic! I hope hardening off goes smoothly for you. (Your deck looks waaaay better than my porch. Lol)
Should have said half the trays. I have 2 trays that never got potted up again, so 16 plants in those instead of 8. Not to mention my 10 seedlings. If I wan't on mobile, I'd insert that smiley with the guy circling his ear...CUCKOO!

Waiting to rip the deck out next year and replace with concrete. We just re did our concrete driveway and sidewalk, furnace, ac, hot water... I'm done for the year with home improvements

Back