• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GeorgeJ's 2013 Tokyo-a-grow-grow - finishing off this season

Hey all.

First time growing from seed.
Thought I would start off with the grow box I built.

My apartment is so cold that I've built this box to sit in the closet and using a heat mat To keep things warm throughout. Not enough space or money to do everything separate.

So I built this box from Styrofoam and aluminium insulation sheeting. Managed to get everything from the 100 yen shop (japans version of the dollar store).

Here's it from the outside, in the closet (no gay jokes please) :
fXfpROC.jpg
]

On the inside there's a 50w fluorescent strip light I got for free with my axolotl tank. It's suspended from bamboo canes on wires, so I can adjust the height of the light as well as hopefully flexing in an earthquake.
To the left hand side, a small fan (also from an aquarium) which is pretty gentle to help toughen up the seedlings and prevent damping off.

K5U3PXH.jpg

It was alot brighter before putting the heat mat in, so I may put some thin aluminum foil over it. Thoughts?

I'm gonna prep the seeds and pots, so that's it for now.

Only one more Dorset naga hook today.

Here's the kids that are upright. All of them shed their seed case.
TzfcuBg.jpg

My first baby, the Dorset Naga looking nice and healthy.
oTchYjR.jpg

Trinidad scorpion butch t
0RdwTU6.jpg

Here's how they are looking at 2 weeks

i49M0E9.jpg

Live and healthy :
3x butch t 2x naga 3x Bhut Jolokia 2x yellow habanero 3x Scotch Bonnet 4x peach ghost scorpion.

2 bhut hooks never got upright and rotted. 1 naga got its cotyledons damaged so I don't think it's gonna make it. Shame.

Cool little grow box! Hope its wall to wall leaves in no time. That salamander is awesome. Looks like a pokemon for sure. Good luck with your grow!

The seeds are popping nicely for you. I sure like those Dorset Naga's. I originally obtained my seeds out of the U.K.
i'm growing the Naga, Spanish, Bombay and Dorset Naga's. All are variants to the original Naga. The Dorset produces the best with a mid size plant that loads up with pods. The Bombay is taller with smaller pods, And the Spanish is similar looking to the Bih Jolokia, a decent producer with gnarly looking pods. All of the varieties are HOT.........as hot as the Bhut Jolokia.
Just my opinion........Your seedlings look healthy good luck with the process.

Cheers! Yeah I gave my mate a list of possible chillies when he went to the UK and asked him to grab me 4 or 5 . Glad he got a Dorset naga after I read how prolific they are!

I honestly don't think the rest of the seeds I have in soil are gonna pop. I haven't seen hooks for a while now, and the last bhut hooks rotted before standing upright. Still, pleased with my first attempt.

I started putting the fan on to toughen up those stems a little.

Haven't done an update for a few days cause I've been busy with job interviews around tokyo..

A few days ago I got this package from stickman - cheers bro!
Rgvm1Ca.jpg

Gonna be sowing a few tomorrow.

Also got some thai seeds from a friend back home, thai girl who lives in my home town (village). She doesn't know the name, just calls them 'ni'

All my habanero I sowed are dead. Ironically the ones that are doing well are scorpions,ghost scorpions and bhut jolokia.

Photos tomorrow, the wife is fast asleep so I don't wanna turn on the lights to get photos.. But second leaves are showing on bhuts, ghost scorpions, butch t, Scotch bonnet and Dorset naga.

Hope your interviews went well George!!! That Rick is a pretty alright guy huh? Can't wait to see the newbys popping!

Interviews went very well.

Rick, He's the f ing man!

Tough decisions which to plant! Habanero seedlings dead, gives me one more to consider.

Tomorrow is gonna be fun! Purely peppers!
Yippy kae yae!

*salutes*

I'll do my best. Hardest bit for me was watering down industrial grade peroxide to the right level. I did it by (believe it or not) taste last time. A trick I learned from brewing.

Peroxide soak for 4 minutes then dab the seeds on paper. My wife said 'wow, I can't believe you such geek!' haha

Just found out that my mother in law won a bit of money on the lottery so she's getting herself an allotment to grow vegetables.

She wants to save a strip of it for me to grow whatever I like. Once typhoon and rainy season is over, looks like I'm putting peppers in the ground :)

Nice pics and good news from your MIL... Having started all these chiles, it's nice to have a place to plant them!

Indeed!

Just planted:
4x 7 pot brown
4x 7 pot orange
4x 7 pot burgundy
4x 7 pot yellow
4x white habanero
4x Jamaican Hot Chocolate
2x Maya red
2x thai ni

Changed things a little this time. 2 seeds per pot to save space and soil.
Used fine vermiculite instead of perlite and packed the soil a bit harder.

Much more happy with how it's looking this time :)

My preciouses today.

They've actually really benefitted from having the fan on, looking lusher!

9K6VN79.jpg

Difficult making the call when to water. Luckily the top is always dry and I'm not worried about damping off.. Don't like probing the soil too often to check moisture. So giving them a third of an inch of water in the bottom cup every 2 days seems good so far. Hope the fan doesn't push that up. I've got a cup of water on the heat mat To keep humidity up and prevent it drying out too much.

Just a suggestion... try getting a feel for the heft of the pots when they have adequate water. If you have a kitchen scale it might help to establish a baseline. I usually water them when they feel light to me but before the plants start to wilt, and give them about 50 cc of water in the Solo cups. As they get bigger and have more surface area to transpirate from, I'll give them more.

Back