• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GeorgeJ's 2013 Tokyo-a-grow-grow - finishing off this season

Hey all.

First time growing from seed.
Thought I would start off with the grow box I built.

My apartment is so cold that I've built this box to sit in the closet and using a heat mat To keep things warm throughout. Not enough space or money to do everything separate.

So I built this box from Styrofoam and aluminium insulation sheeting. Managed to get everything from the 100 yen shop (japans version of the dollar store).

Here's it from the outside, in the closet (no gay jokes please) :
fXfpROC.jpg
]

On the inside there's a 50w fluorescent strip light I got for free with my axolotl tank. It's suspended from bamboo canes on wires, so I can adjust the height of the light as well as hopefully flexing in an earthquake.
To the left hand side, a small fan (also from an aquarium) which is pretty gentle to help toughen up the seedlings and prevent damping off.

K5U3PXH.jpg

It was alot brighter before putting the heat mat in, so I may put some thin aluminum foil over it. Thoughts?

I'm gonna prep the seeds and pots, so that's it for now.

It's had its ups and downs, but for my first season I'm well pleased.

Haven't had much time to look after the plants recently, because I started a new job (teaching 3-6 year olds - which takes up all my energy).

So yesterday I opened the box and the first time I felt properly proud looking at all the plants, they looked beautiful!

It's had its ups and downs, but for my first season I'm well pleased.

Haven't had much time to look after the plants recently, because I started a new job (teaching 3-6 year olds - which takes up all my energy).

So yesterday I opened the box and the first time I felt properly proud looking at all the plants, they looked beautiful!
Funny how that works...I have more success the less I am home too. I think we really do kill them with kindness when we mess with them too much! Good luck on your Yellow 7 starts and hope they do better than your last. They sure are a great pepper!

The idea of it keeps me awake at night ;)

Sadly the yellow 7s I got from you stickman, only one germinated, and it's not looking the healthiest.. Covering my bases cause I'm so keen on them. All the reading I did after purchasing seeds for my first batch, I'm thinking damn I wish I got some 7 pot!

The second flight are doing so well. Burgundy 7 pot and white hab are especially fast growing! Hot Chocolate are looking well formed and very symmetrical too!

Sorry to hear the Yellow 7s I sent didn't do so well. To be honest, I planted some I got from Pepperlover. I think the Hippy Seed Company and Jungle Rain Chiles in Australia have some good ones too.

It might well become a monster later on.

The burgundy seeds you sent were definitely amazing so far. Good germination rate and growing so fast!

Had to separate some seedlings tonight. I removed the smaller ones and transplanted. 2 in each pot. 4 x hot chocolate, 2x burgundy, 4x white habanero, 4x orange 7 pot.

Before :
bZFMQG6.jpg

After :
yHhmrCR.jpg

Sadly the second batch of Maya red went the same way as the first. Cots rotted out before really getting upright.
j9Fi9Hq.jpg

A few of the bigger plants are having roots poke out the bottom of the solos. Time to repot in bigger cups??

A few are having leaves pointing downward a bit, so I've removed the second cup that holds water, worried that they have wet feet.. Dunno if that's the sign, but decided to change the situation anyway.

Found this today. One of the yellow 7 pot from naga Chomper hooked! :)

6psI30C.jpg

That's a record! 5 days.

Also the basil I have growing in a big pot In the box started sprouting.

Gonna be potting up my bigger plants in bigger cups this weekend. I've got mad roots poking out of the bottom of some and burying the stems a bit will only make them stronger.
The ghost scorpions and nagas and butch t already need staking a bit (chopsticks resting on stems).
Next year I want better lights and the prevent them getting so leggy. But considering my budget for this season and first time grow, I'm dead proud of the lot. Always room for improvement though!

Had the last hook of the yellow 7 pot from naga Chomper come up today :)

Transfers are looking alot darker green after their first taste of sunlight by the windows today
WN6zOdA.jpg

The rest of them, in the germination box.

btYY1hF.jpg

Ill get a proper headcount of them all soon.
Cheers!

The kids enjoying a bit of sun

4x peach Jays Ghost Scorpion
2x Dorset naga
2x scotch bonnet
3x Bhut Jolokia
3x trinidad scorpion butch t
3x 7 pot Burgundy
1x thai
4x 7 pot orange
4x Jamaican Hot Chocolate habanero
4x white habanero
3x 7 pot brown
3x 7 pot yellow.

tBwlK54.jpg

Good looking video G... Glad things are looking swell for you right now. If there's any way you can swing it... I highly recommend General Hydroponics RapidStart to jump-start the roots on the seedlings. I used it for the first time this year and was blown away by the results. A little goes a long way... about a teaspoon to a gallon of water is enough. I've been watering with it once every other week and the the plants are growing rapidly, but with nice thick stems... not leggy at all.

Cheers.
I was gonna have a look for some seaweed nutes later for that reason. Roots are growing ok on their own, but it's about time they need a boost :) didn't wanna give them normal fertiliser yet.

Sadly I'm a few days off them needing water again though :(

Back