• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

GeorgeJ's 2013 Tokyo-a-grow-grow - finishing off this season

Hey all.

First time growing from seed.
Thought I would start off with the grow box I built.

My apartment is so cold that I've built this box to sit in the closet and using a heat mat To keep things warm throughout. Not enough space or money to do everything separate.

So I built this box from Styrofoam and aluminium insulation sheeting. Managed to get everything from the 100 yen shop (japans version of the dollar store).

Here's it from the outside, in the closet (no gay jokes please) :
fXfpROC.jpg
]

On the inside there's a 50w fluorescent strip light I got for free with my axolotl tank. It's suspended from bamboo canes on wires, so I can adjust the height of the light as well as hopefully flexing in an earthquake.
To the left hand side, a small fan (also from an aquarium) which is pretty gentle to help toughen up the seedlings and prevent damping off.

K5U3PXH.jpg

It was alot brighter before putting the heat mat in, so I may put some thin aluminum foil over it. Thoughts?

I'm gonna prep the seeds and pots, so that's it for now.

doubt they stopped growing. chinense are just excruciatingly slow at growing. 
i only have one plant thats not chinense, its growing like a weed.

we're blessed with a bit of sunshine again today.
It's about 30 degrees outside. 11kmph wind and 75% humidity.

Dorset Naga
eL5oPuo.jpg

Butch T #1
doLNwFN.jpg

Butch T # 2
4rmK2gT.jpg

Peach Ghost Scorpion
XBNLPVH.jpg

Bhut
6YS0Sq7.jpg

Red Habanero
p7Lh2mJ.jpg

7 Pot heaven
KZ4Ld2u.jpg

White Habaneros, Jamaican Hot Chocolate hab, Scotch bonnet (in orange pots).
Bhut, ghost scorpion and Dorset Naga that are gonna go in the ground.
Also a Butch T, hot choc and ghost scorpion that i'm giving to a friend
apGKHIA.jpg

red Habanero OW not looking too hot (it wasn't a very healthy plant last year either - one i bought from a shop)
yw871oX.jpg

stickman said:
Everything looks good to me G... Maybe you could give the OW Red Hab a mild shot of nitrogen to green it up...
yeh i have done.. nothing seems to work.
it was a sickly plant when i bought it. had 3 habaneros on it and never put out any more flowers. its just barely staying alive (despite having repotted it ages ago and ferting it and epsom salts). shame, because the habs it did have on it were the most flavoursome and hot habs ive ever had.
if it doesn't pick up the pace soon i think it's gonna get trashed. my other red hab OW as you can see is doing really well!
who would live in a house like this?

io3q75M.jpg

The wind has really gotten strong since I headed out to work (apparently unrelated to the typhoon).

Luckily my wife is between jobs at the moment, so she decided to bring all the plants indoors.

zy8aNvi.jpg

ajGwZgU.jpg

Good thing, I've seen loads of branches damaged on trees near work.

Damn, I pulled all my plants under the awning to avoid the rain that's going to hit us for the next 2-3 days but should I just go ahead and bring them inside like you did?

I'm seeing max winds of 9 miles/hour (14 km/hour) in Tokyo on my weather app so maybe things are just rougher down in Kanagawa?

easy to do a quick update with all of them indoors now

This Butch T is forking like crazy and looking great.
7pOt5Ul.jpg

riddled with buds too, this is just one side of the plant
cIRn56R.jpg

some of the refugees in the kitchen. 
c0REXdl.jpg

refugees in the living room.
65rh3YQ.jpg

i just topped a few of my 7 pot plants. those that were topped ages ago are doing far better than those that i just left.
Beautiful as the yellow 7 pots are, they seem to just grow bigger and bigger leaves rather than new ones or branch at all. hope the decision was a good one eventually - it's all one big learning curve of what works for me. seem to have been doing something right though

video glog of babies out in the sun today

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ButpRNiCSac&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Nice Vid G! It looks like all your chiles are happy but the OW Habanero you're gonna pull the plug on anyway. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your pods when they start coming it. Cheers!

yeah, the OW has always been yellow or today it was wilting wilting despite having been watered recently. it's a waste of space really.
I've never had ANYTHING off it, not even any flowers. i bought it and it had 3 pods, but nothing after that.

I'm half tempted to just buy a takanotsume plant or something to take its place. theres some pretty spicy omnicolour plants for sale right now. typical annum burn (which i don't really like) but they look pretty

some stills

Scotch Bonnet
NyhfcN3.jpg

White Habanero
cyzymxr.jpg

White Habanero #2
uObeZs6.jpg

Jamaican Hot Chocolate
aCJfT9e.jpg

Dorset Naga, Bhut and Ghost Scorpion that are going in the ground in a week or so
ph1ZS75.jpg

7 Pot stairway
dNpKXxK.jpg

Butch T flower
yNHXAOe.jpg

apparently i'm not allowed to post any more photos than that :P

*cough cough cough*

[SIZE=10.5pt]Dorset Naga
TBXuIot.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Butch T[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]