• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds germinating in rockwool

I keep hearing about people germinating their pepper seeds in rockwool, and am now considering using rockwool next season, instead of simple compost.
Can somebody tell me what the advantages and disadvantages of germinating in rockwool?
In what medium are you all germinating your pepper seeds??

Thanks!
Superted

Well it lets you use your own mix of fertilizers without any existing nutrients. it's non-organic so no mold. lets you easily transplant into Hydro/Aero systems. I like some of the other mediums better, but it's way better than soil for starting. you could just as easily transplant into coco, soil or anything you want.

Rockwool is great, especially when growing in hydroponics since there is no messy "soil" to deal with. In the greenhouse that I worked in, the biggest problem with rockwool was having to pay to dispose of it since it is not organic. Also some types of rockwool need to be ph adjusted before use.

Seeds germinate fine in rockwool. One of its prime advantages is that they hold water/air in just the right ratio and they don't rot.

Germinating

IMG_3399.jpg

Germinated

crop3400.jpg

I'm trying rockwool for the 1st time this year. I have successfully used Jiffy pellets and Cactus mix soil before.

I started lettuce in rockwool & and I was very happy with the results & root growth.

This year I'm planning on starting peppers in rockwool then transferring to coco as soon as I see roots. Probably going to plant seeds tonight actually.

:lol:i love the rapid rooters they cost a bit more but i think they are so much better and easy to work with i would pick them over rockwool anyday!!!!

Thanks for the replies people..
I'm thinking about germinating half my seeds with rockwool, and the other half with standard dirt germination.

willard3 said:
Seeds germinate fine in rockwool. One of its prime advantages is that they hold water/air in just the right ratio and they don't rot.

Germinating

IMG_3399.jpg

Germinated

crop3400.jpg

Didn't they have problems to wipe off the seed shell?

Armadillo said:
Didn't they have problems to wipe off the seed shell?

No sir, they did not. I am a firm believer in leaving well enough alone with plants as it would be hard for me to improve on evolution.

All the seeds shed the seed pod, without exception, by themselves.

Do you guys that have used rockwool before just transfer the whole cube (with germinated seed) to soil or do you take the seedling out of the rockwool before you transplant to a larger container?

Omri said:
You just put the seedling with the cube.

Nice - thanks! Can't get simpler than that. Those Rapid Rooter plugs sound pretty sweet too. Never heard of those before today.

(Very) old thread, I am replying because this comes up 2nd in Google if you search for "Jalapenos in Rock Wool" :)

This season (Spain here) is relatively chilly, and I was trying to sprout some Jalapenos/Serranos, easily just in soil. My germination rates this time are really poor, and I also had some "damping off" in my greenhouse. It's also possible that my seeds are just old/bad.

Anyway, now I am trying another batch, this time trying to sprout in rock wool. Also because I have TONS of rock wool cubes of all sizes in my closet, together with the matching plastic trays. (I am using the small cubes which are just an inch at the top)

* Biggest benefit it's not organic, so there is no risk for mould and damping off.
* Many of these small cubes on a tray fit in a small space/germination station (I am using a tupperware container for this), since they're smaller than my seedling trays

Biggest benefit:

When you germinate in rock wool, you can (of course!) transplant the entire cube into soil later. The cube very nicely protects the seedling and the roots, like a casing. (It's always a little finicky to transplant from normal plastic seedling trays if you don't use Jiffies or something)

Since rock wool cubes have a high pH of 8, before you put your seeds in you should soak the cubes in 5.5+/- ph water for 20 minutes or so. Then take them out, put in the trays and shake a bit so that excessive water runs off. (Don't squeeze the cubes, it breaks the fibers)

DON'T:

For germinating do not put rockwool cubes without a tray or without a plastic liner in another pot with soil or whatever potting mix. I made this mistake some years ago thought this would be smart to do. :) It's not: The dry soil around the cube sucks the moisture from the rockwool cubes very fast, within hours. Leaving the cubes bone dry. I almost had seedlings dying because of this, fortunately AFAIK I could save them in time. But of course you can replant them with the cube if they are 2 inch or so and already have roots.

Back