• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germinating seeds questions

Gday all. Being only my 2nd year growing from seeds, and trying something different this year I have a few questions. For last season I used a Burpee seed starting kit with success originally starting seeds outside in September 2012 while temps were still in the low 90's-high 80's. When I switched to starting more indoors during winter, my success rate dropped due to the spare room I was using a tour old house staying cold. Fast forward to this year and I now have a new germination station with a heat mat, and just had my first seed pop today. I know I need to now get it under lights, but do I leave the station on the heat mat under the lights to help the rest if the seeds? Or do I now not need the heat mat? The light I'm using is a 4 ft 4 bulb t5ho fixture. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris it all depends on the temperature once you turn on the lights. With both the lights and the heat mat you might get it to hot. If you have a thermometer, I would just put on top of soil to get a reading. More experienced guys may have better advice. Will be interested to read what they say, I will be starting some seeds soon enough.

tctenten said:
Chris it all depends on the temperature once you turn on the lights. With both the lights and the heat mat you might get it to hot. If you have a thermometer, I would just put on top of soil to get a reading. More experienced guys may have better advice. Will be interested to read what they say, I will be starting some seeds soon enough.
Yeah the too hot with the heat mat and lights issue is what I was worried about. I do have tomorrow off, and an old seed starter kit I can use as a control so will have to try your suggestion with the thermometer. Would on top or in the soil be a better option?

I would think the soil temp is optimally what you want to get a reading of and try to keep it around 85f to start the seeds. I personally just leave it on top of the soil and take a reading after the lights have been on for awhile.

Sprouts don't need the same temperatures as germinating seeds for one, and at least with my setup just the lights puts the temps over 70 so that's all I need. Your setup might be different so it never hurts to do some experimenting. As for the thermometer, I just have an infrared one so it can only measure the top of the soil

Roguejim said:
The standard approach is to put the new sprout under the lights; the germination station and mat do not go under artificial lighting.

Just the info I was looking for. Appreciate it!
tctenten said:
I would think the soil temp is optimally what you want to get a reading of and try to keep it around 85f to start the seeds. I personally just leave it on top of the soil and take a reading after the lights have been on for awhile.

Appreciate the info! As I'm using rapid rooters this time it should be easy enough to move it under the lights and test by itself, then back to the germ station if it's not right. Thanks!
Suezotiger said:
Sprouts don't need the same temperatures as germinating seeds for one, and at least with my setup just the lights puts the temps over 70 so that's all I need. Your setup might be different so it never hurts to do some experimenting. As for the thermometer, I just have an infrared one so it can only measure the top of the soil
Appreciate the info! Are you using t5's as well? Only asking cos I've read different lights have different temp outputs, and still really flying by the seat of my pants with seed starting.

You typically only need the heat mat until they sprout.... need being the operative word. You may not "need" it after they sprout, but I've heard from older gardeners that warmer soil will actually help develop a better root system

Assuming your T8's are fluorescents, I would not be concerned about temps elevating too much. Fluorescents generate little heat.

Look, the average heat mat raises the temp ~10F above room temp.  My room is ~70F.  Do the math.  I don't mess with taking soil temps(!?!).  There is too much obsessing here, I think.  It''s just not that difficult.  

If you set your grow enclosure up to trap the right amount of heat, then the right amount of LED or CFL lighting will provide enough heat to keep the soil at 80F-80F without a heat mat, then once all sprouts are up and a little sturdier, you can add fan(s).

Need some clarification here. I germinate in paper towels and then in a small plastic Dixie cup with soil once they sprout. At this point do they go under lights even though the sprout is covered in dirt? I have some still on the heat mat and some under lights but would like opinions on this.

Follow up question as well. A few I let sprout in paper towels to the point where there were cotyledons. These also received a sprinkling of dirt, very little, but still covered. Should I try to move these to soil and leave the cotyledons exposed or is it ok that they're covered?

I put them under lights as soon as I see a hook. As long as it hasn't broken the dirt yet they don't need light.

Normally I try to put them into dixie cups as soon as I see a root starting.The times when I've let it go longer and had cotyledons already I buried it up to the cotyledons. The leaves want to see some light.

Back