• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germinating, what's the secret?

I (from knowledge passed on from my Grandfather who was a renowned gardener and who I would love to be able to talk to now about propagation) have always been told that the best environment to get most seeds to germinate was a warm, moist dark place. The least light the better.
I can't have that in my current setup but try to make sure at night that they are in complete darkness for as long as possible (ie I turn out the lights as early as possible where they are, which isn't very early unfortunately.)
If that was the case then the plastic cup or ziplock bag method would be the least successful method of germination.

If that was the case then the plastic cup or ziplock bag method would be the least successful method of germination.

Hence why I said most seeds. I have no idea about capsicum specifically (as he never grew capsicums , more New Zealand Native tree/shrub species, Flowers, Orchids etc)but I know for a fact that no light would be better then incandescent light.

Not an argument, I'm no green thumb and haven't invested much into the plastic container/zip lock bag method myself - mainly sticking to seedling pots and soil.
But like I said, commercial botanical labs have the full heat/cool/light/no light thing happening - I was sent there to repair a germination cabinet years ago-, and they were growing native plant species etc at kings park botanical gardens in perth, not vege, herbs or chillies.
Darkness is better than incandescent we all agree, but technology has moved on.

edit:
Are you measuring the air temp or the soil temp. All you really need for germination in my opinion is moisture and proper temps. The paper towel method is usually quite foolproof as long as you don't over water and keep a proper temp
Sorry for letting this go, but I was happy to see this thread disappear into the ether at the time of your post until discussion got into the article that trippa dredged up.
I'm using a peltier fridge that heats and cools, if anything is in there long enough, soil temp = air temp as it's a sealed system. Yes I did test with my thermometers, soil temp is the same as what I have set the thermostat for air temp to.

It also helps to be clean with the baggie/paper towel method.
Wash your hands before you start and use a clean surface.
Hands are washed and not even involved, it's a bugger to handle wet seeds, so tweezers used anyway.

Most heard is constant temperatures. Works for most domesticated species but the Wilds are something special. Fluctuating temperatures is the key for germinating Wilds species.

Back