• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination and heating pads

i am trying lots of germination ways this year. My one real concern is that i have a "for human use" heating pad with Low, Mid, Hi setings i was wondering if anyone has used one of these without "cooking" your seeds.. i have it on low now for some Bhuts, Morougas, and Yellow 7-pod seeds. 3 inch peat pots ( mix of half garden soil half jiffy seed starter mix no fert).. i hope will be enough insulation for them.. if any thoughts let me know.

Yes I have and the best thing you can do for yourself is have some kind of temp. guage so you don't cook your seeds

If you can get a good accurate measurement of your soil temp., they work just fine. You just need to be a little more careful of water around them.

Been using them for years with success. Hell I've even used my instant read meat thermometer to check temps.

I use 3 ounce Dixie cups to germinate my seeds. Filled with coco coir and placed on an aluminum cookie sheet. That goes over the heat pad with a kitchen towel placed between it and the cookie sheet. You have to keep an eye on temps to see if the low setting is warm enough. If not go to the medium setting. If it's too hot use another kitchen towel to buffer some of the heat. You should be able to find your happy temps within a couple of hours. You can't cheat on this either. Seeds too cool takes forever to germinate--seeds too hot you cook 'em. Good luck.

i am trying lots of germination ways this year. My one real concern is that i have a "for human use" heating pad with Low, Mid, Hi setings i was wondering if anyone has used one of these without "cooking" your seeds.. i have it on low now for some Bhuts, Morougas, and Yellow 7-pod seeds. 3 inch peat pots ( mix of half garden soil half jiffy seed starter mix no fert).. i hope will be enough insulation for them.. if any thoughts let me know.

Thanks Everyone!! will keep a good eye on them.. i guess a normal under the tongue gauge will work too.

A few issues with those are 1. As mentioned, better be very careful with them around water, they aren't meant for that and 2. Most of them today have an auto off feature so you will only be supplying heat for a short period of time then it will shut off. You can get a standard flat size heat mat for about $20 on amazon and I saw one at Meijers last week for like $18.

BTW..if you want to bypass the whole heating pad, one way I recommend and have been doing for several years is putting your seeds that are in cups or bags or whatever on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven and turn the oven light on. I use cups but you can use whatever (I have even put dirt flats in their).
If you turn the oven light on, it will stay right around 80 to 85 degrees very consistently. Sounds odd but it works and works well.

+1 on what mmcdermott1 says!!

They're not rated to be in close proximity to moisture and may short-circuit.
Please be careful, they can be an electrical hazard when used this way!!

A little while ago I read a post of a guy who built a small germination box and used a variable light switch to control a standard candescent light bulb! You may even have this stuff kicking around and could be put to good use.

Just another way, good luck!!

Back