• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination temps??

I have started this years peppers in jiffy pellets on top of a heating mat. The temp at the bottom of the jiffy pellets is 96 degrees. Is that to hot?

Yes, 96F is a little too high to expect good germination rates.

The accepted temp range is right around 85F +/- a degree or two maximum.

You might be able to lower the temps a little by slightly raising the jiffy pellets a bit above the heating mat and moving the dome a little to allow some air in to help with cooling.

dvg

I like keeping mine around 75 only because my cheap heat mat fluctuates soooo much. Sometimes it will get up to 90 and that's bad. It may take longer at lower temps but I'm ok with that rather than baking them.

Hydrofarm has a thermostat for about $25 on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPRTC-Digital-Thermostat-Heat/dp/B000NZZG3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1295548899&sr=8-1

I have one and it works great, it makes it so much easier to maintain the right temperature and you don't have to worry about the temps getting too low or baking the seedlings when you're not there. Worth the money for me, especially since it's something you can keep using every year, unless it breaks...but it seems like pretty good quality.

I prefer a slightly lower temperature, 83 degrees, rather than 85. But 96 is definitely too hot. You should really aim to keep it in the 80 to 85 zone. After they germinate, though, you want to reduce the temperature. Mid 80's is only for germination.

Back