• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Getting Fit!

Rawkstah said:
Next week I'm off the Boulder, CO to train in the mountains for a few days with my martial arts mentor/instructor.  No biking, but trail running and hiking, probably some climbing, and I'm looking forward to some tai chi and chi sao battles in the mountains.  I've been trying to get my cardio up as much as I can since the air will be thinner out there.  Fingers crossed I'll come back in one piece ;)
This is what im talking about,FIT!

You rock Grrl.  Its funny you mention "mentor" because I also have one. He is a 66 year old retired cop from detroit. He raises wild life and is FIT. This mother fucter is "FIT" :rofl:
  Best of luck and come back in one piece. Next time you stop we go on a nice hike. You can see some swamp.
My heart is strong,its hard for me to get my carido up. I spend most of my day in fat burning zone. Which I have plenty to spare ;)

Ok,that's two of us. No one else wants to shreds 15? If you need to let's do it. If you don't cheer us on and tell your routine.

I just wrote a really long post that was way way way too personal & painful, so I deleted. 

Let's just say my weight fluctuates a lot depending on level of activity & eating. For whatever reason, I eat more when NOT running a lot. At my lightest, I run 100 mile races... won races just 4 years ago... but then fell apart. Since then, I've been injured & busy and gained 40 pounds. I gotta get half of it off. The parasite I have was good for 10 of that in the past week! Running about 50-60 miles/week right now but very slow. Need to bump it up to 80/week in the next month. The goal is to get in over 103 miles (my record) at a 24 hour race in October. "What is a 24 hour race," you ask? Run around a loop as many times as you can for 24 hours. Sometimes the loop is a mile. Usually, more like 3 miles/loop. Boring? To be honest, I've never been bored at a race like that. A few times, I've hallucinated & seen things like sea turtles swimming through my chest in the middle of the night... once thought I was running on the night sky. Another time, thought rats were chasing me all night. Trippy... this coming from a person who at age 41 has still never even tasted alcohol or tried drugs. Who needs it when you can just run 100 miles & see weird stuff?  ;)

Anyway, put me down for 15 pounds by September 15.

Last year when I got serious. I lost 20lbs the first month. No exercise, just stopped drinking energy drinks. Then I stepped it up to no fast food. Then it was exercise. This time exercise and healthy food. I still don't drink sodas or energy drinks. Tried a soda a while back and spit it out. Taste horrible. Enough talk I'm getting on the treadmill. It's storming outside right now. I'm going to weigh in tomorrow morning. Good luck y'all.

Glad you could join us Rick. Maybe that could be the new weight loss program. Parafast 2000! LOL!
Just kidding. Hope your feeling better.

Thanks for sharing.

Good morning! It's a another heat day. I weighed in and I'm at 234. I'm 6'1 so if I can get to 219 I'll be happy. Then I can start lifting. Last time I got all the way to 212. Lost a lot of muscle mass as well. I don't want to loss muscle. I need to keep up on the protein.

Have a great day and I'm going to hit the treadmill before leaving for work. Probably hit the bike after work.

sicman said:
Good morning it's another great day. So Grant you in the 15# club with us,let's do this. I'll need to hit 185,don't see why that can't be done by September15th if not sooner. Going for a ride then piddling around the farm. Keep it safe and sexy.
SIC MA MAN, I'm trying to get into the whole workout phase. I turn 25 in september and i've already notice my metabolism drop and my belly expand haha. If you ever want to go for some intense bike rides, lets do it up. I haven't done any in a long time because miami scares me, but i use to ride 20-50 miles all the time. That and if you ever want to play some basketball, lets do it up!

Scratch that, you live in dade city not dade county haha

Well i would have been down with both those ideas ;)   Get back into it. I cant tell you how much better I feel  at one time weighed like 256 and thought WTF,lol. So I lost 20 pounds and hovered there for a couple years but then I decided no more. I want the rest of my life to be as best it can be. Cycling has changed my life everrything about it is diffrent. My attitude,depression,out look on life,looks, everything. And calorie in vs out is the most importat thing you can do. Its not rocket science,lol.  
OCD Chilehead said:
Good morning! It's a another heat day. I weighed in and I'm at 234. I'm 6'1 so if I can get to 219 I'll be happy. Then I can start lifting. Last time I got all the way to 212. Lost a lot of muscle mass as well. I don't want to loss muscle. I need to keep up on the protein.

Have a great day and I'm going to hit the treadmill before leaving for work. Probably hit the bike after work.
Sounds like a awesome day.

BigB said:
SIC MA MAN, I'm trying to get into the whole workout phase. I turn 25 in september and i've already notice my metabolism drop and my belly expand haha. If you ever want to go for some intense bike rides, lets do it up. I haven't done any in a long time because miami scares me, but i use to ride 20-50 miles all the time. That and if you ever want to play some basketball, lets do it up!

Scratch that, you live in dade city not dade county haha
That's pretty sad that you don't go on bike rides because the city you live in scares you.

Edit: btw, not calling you a pansy...

muskymojo said:
That's pretty sad that you don't go on bike rides because the city you live in scares you.

haha no I get it. But yea, bicyclists get killed here ALL the time. You see stories of people not only getting hit and runs, but getting hit, stuck under cars and getting dragged only to have the person stop miles after to try to dislodge the person but couldn't so they went back in their car and kept on going.....yea not the safest city to bike in. Maybe if there was a trail far away from cars or a really nice bike trail but there really isn't much of that here. there's a park with mountain biking paths but i have a street bike

muskymojo said:

I got hit by a car last thursday riding my bike here in Chicago.  Pretty much every time I get on my bike there is a close call.  I've almost been doored a number of times, cars decided to pull into the bike lane to stop and let someone out or pick someone up, or they make right turns while you're riding along side of them, you get pushed off the road, etc.  Then there are people who are just A-holes, I've had cigarette butts thrown at me, a dude spit out the window, and another guy just walk right in front of me and stand there and scream.  I get where BigB is coming from.  I have to be hyper aware of everything around me when I ride my bike. my hands never leave my brakes, and I have flashing lights on the back and the front for riding at night, a reflective white helmet, and I try to remember to bring a white jacket too.  

Peter S said:
I've been losing slow and steady since February, down 27 lbs so far. Still need to lose about 30 more, include me in the 15# club. :)
Awesome :dance: Who else is in. This is the best club ive ever been in :P  if you need it,join. Looks like there is going to be lots of encouragement.

Ya all you spinners be careful. it blows my mind people get mad at others for exercising and being active :crazy: And then you have the added texting and driving.  We have to be aware and wear a helmet.  Some of my mountain bike trecks ill be 20 miles out in the middle of the Green Swamp. Bears,cougars,boars,alligators and panthers roam but  they only kill you when you fall of your bike though,lol.  Road can be pretty sketchy,but I put in lots of miles out there on it. This saturday im doing my first pace line ride. Its 40 miles with 8 other dudes suppose to average 18 miles a hour and run a group cadence. Ill be honest im a little nervous but also cant wait and am amazed with myself that i can make these types of rides. its going to be awesome and I will be high alert for two and a half hours.

BigB said:
haha no I get it. But yea, bicyclists get killed here ALL the time. You see stories of people not only getting hit and runs, but getting hit, stuck under cars and getting dragged only to have the person stop miles after to try to dislodge the person but couldn't so they went back in their car and kept on going.....yea not the safest city to bike in. Maybe if there was a trail far away from cars or a really nice bike trail but there really isn't much of that here. there's a park with mountain biking paths but i have a street bike
Okay. I guess I misread your last post. I read it as you don't go on many rides by yourself because of crime, but would be more willing to go on a ride with a friend or a group.

Yeah, riding on the streets is scary. A friend of mine got ran over and killed riding his bike here several years ago. Minneapolis is extremely bike-friendly though. It's one of the best cities in the country for getting around on bikes (minus the snow). There are designated paved paths that go all over the place with no cars on them.

Checking in. Earlier this year I vowed to lose weight and get in better shape, like you. Already lost 20 pounds, but have hovered there due to life getting in the way. I was 235 pounds when I got here to Wyoming. I am now at 215. Still too high for someone who is only 5'11". My goal is to get down to the 175 range and to bulk up with a little muscle mass.

I picked up a used (like new, just dusty) Bowflex Elite the other day for $85 (talk about a steal!). I hauled it out of the garage this afternoon to get a few pics while I was cleaning up the porch from the flash flood we had yesterday. We also live one block away from the school which allows free use of their track. My mother has vowed to join me on the track as well, so I'll have even more support.

Let's do this, folks! Time to become sexy beasts!

IMG_20150716_121646127.jpg

Back