• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Getting Started

I am starting some new plants getting ready to overwinter them, possibly under lights, in soil. They are about an inch and a half tall right now....Yellow Fatali's and a few peter peppers too.

I have the perfect window on my back porch that I have grown a Tepin plant for the past two winters in a pot, so that's where I got the seeds started. Here's my question....

Will a 4 inch square pot be sufficient to replant them into and give the roots enough room until the middle of May 09 or should I go bigger on the first transplant? Thanks:hell:

Welcome BigDogDaddy. I should leave your question to some of the more experienced growers here as this was actually my first season, but if I had to guess I'd say go bigger so the roots have more room to spread out and not become leggy. Where are you from in PA? I'm from Lancaster.

I'm not one of the more experienced ones, but the lady at the greenhouse said that you can move your plants up into to big of a pot to fast as well. I just slowly move up in size as the plant gets bigger. In that many months as well you're plant will be quite a bit bigger and 4" is pretty small.(My Naga plant was started as a seed in May and it's about 3 ft wide and a couple feet tall if that says anything.) Also, May 9th is my birthday...he..he..he!!

Welcome from Fort Worth...

This is my first year starting from seed but I found that moving the plants straight to large pots does not allow as good a root ball formation than several transplants...I tried three different ways and the best growth plants are those that I transplanted out of the germination tray, to 3" containers, to 6" containers, to 5 gallon containers worked the best for me....

JayT said:
Welcome BigDogDaddy. I should leave your question to some of the more experienced growers here as this was actually my first season, but if I had to guess I'd say go bigger so the roots have more room to spread out and not become leggy. Where are you from in PA? I'm from Lancaster.
I'm on the other side of the river from you Jay...Red Lion.

Glad to see a pepper junkie nearby, I will have some extra plants to trade if you start em as well yourself.

I have 13 different flavors I will have plants ready to rock by the 1st of May. Send me a pm and I'll provide you a list of the ones I'll have ready.

Later

Sounds good. I have no idea yet what all I will have next year. I am saving seeds and will be getting some from a few of the nice folks on here. I'm going to start them in an aerogarden. I actually had mine in the ground in April this year. Since you are from Red Lion I assume you know Chip from Red Lion Spicy Foods then? Good guy and great stuff he makes.

JayT said:
Sounds good. I have no idea yet what all I will have next year. I am saving seeds and will be getting some from a few of the nice folks on here. I'm going to start them in an aerogarden. I actually had mine in the ground in April this year. Since you are from Red Lion I assume you know Chip from Red Lion Spicy Foods then? Good guy and great stuff he makes.
Nope don't know him. I have only lived here 5 years...I am a transplant myself...actually a cowboy from out west. I pretty much keep to myself....didn't know there were so many people afflicted with the pepper addiction. http://johndillardandthelasttrainrunnin.net

By the way...what is an aerogarden?

I will suggest that you keep the plants in a small pot and keep roots and top pruned until you plant them out next spring.

You don't want a big top and root ball until you have the sun and heat to support the chile.

AlabamaJack said:
Welcome from Fort Worth...

This is my first year starting from seed but I found that moving the plants straight to large pots does not allow as good a root ball formation than several transplants...I tried three different ways and the best growth plants are those that I transplanted out of the germination tray, to 3" containers, to 6" containers, to 5 gallon containers worked the best for me....

Have to agree with my Texan friend..Stage by stage seems good for me to And has been very consistent..Every time i put a small plant in a giant container it struggled to grow..Indeed the C.Chinese variety's where the worst for this..Just my views though take a balanced view of what everyone says :rolleyes:

Right now I have about 24 seedlings of the yellow fatali's and about 12 seedlings of the "peter pepper". I will keep them in the starter until they get to be about 4-6 inches with a good root ball and then move them to thye 3-4 inch pots and then just gradually up from there. That sound about right?

Also I have several large fish(oscars) and when I do water changes(3 times a month) I have been using the waste water to water my trees....and they have grown like crazy. Would this same water be good for the pepper seedlings once in a while to give them some extra nitrates? I may do a test...:idea:

Thanks for all the help and ideas...this is a real cool site!

Ok guys and gals question,,,BDD is asking if too big is bad,,what about planting the lil bugger in 1 of the bio degradable jiffy pots and then put it in a say 8 inch pot?You keep the right perimeter but it then has the natural room to expand.I`m probebly wrong but was a thought.

I think hixs sometimes you just have to have a leap of faith and try new things to see if it improves your growing regime and experiment for the fun of it :)

hixs said:
Ok guys and gals question,,,BDD is asking if too big is bad,,what about planting the lil bugger in 1 of the bio degradable jiffy pots and then put it in a say 8 inch pot?You keep the right perimeter but it then has the natural room to expand.I`m probebly wrong but was a thought.

How Ironic that you would mention that, as my wife picked me up 30 of the 3 inch peat pots at ace hardware tonight on her way home from work. I was thinking that since they decompose and break down, that once I transplant them from the seed starters, then I can just transplant them directly into the bigger pots, where they will eventually live out the rest of their days. Great minds think alike....just thought I'd share....:hell:

Back