• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense ghost pepper dwarfs

I have 2 ghost pepper plants a few years old. They make me a few peppers a year and I was overjoyed to see that it had 5 peppers growing in the house. Well, they turned orange but stayed the size of a cherry pit. Are these edible? Thanks.

IMG_20110226_141326.jpg

IMG_20110226_141337.jpg

Did they look like these when full grown?

102_0441.jpg

Only asking because those do look somewhat like young Caribbean Reds

I had one last year that started out "Bhut", but then went Habanero on me. The pods had a more Habanero taste with a hint of Bhut. I didn't grow anymore from that strain. Yours seem to have developed into something real strange.

Do you open pollinate?

Do you have any pics of peppers that were TRUE that came off of that plant?
I'm not saying this is the case, but there are people that get seeds, grow them, and harvest pods, all the while thinking they have something they DON'T have.
Anyone remember the crazy guy on Ebay selling the "Bhut Jolokia" seeds, and they actually looked more like habs? They dude swore up and down that they were Bhut's just because that is what he bought seeds for.

Do you have any pics of peppers that were TRUE that came off of that plant?
I'm not saying this is the case, but there are people that get seeds, grow them, and harvest pods, all the while thinking they have something they DON'T have.
Anyone remember the crazy guy on Ebay selling the "Bhut Jolokia" seeds, and they actually looked more like habs? They dude swore up and down that they were Bhut's just because that is what he bought seeds for.

Yep. That's what i was thinking as well. Some people got carib reds or habs and they thought they were bhut's

Guys/Gals, the plants are real ghost pepper plants, the the plants have made real ghost peppers. They were stunted somehow. Here are the true peppers that that same plant has made. I'm not sure why it made 5 runts like that... Not too happy about it but it is what it is...

169180_1828060183339_1295367878_2166582_3732521_o.jpg

These look identical as the fabled naga viper, before the use of Photoshop :P

Guys/Gals, the plants are real ghost pepper plants, the the plants have made real ghost peppers. They were stunted somehow. Here are the true peppers that that same plant has made. I'm not sure why it made 5 runts like that... Not too happy about it but it is what it is...

169180_1828060183339_1295367878_2166582_3732521_o.jpg

Dwarf pods are sometimes hotter then normal so be careful. I usually get dwarfed pods off my first flush of peppers from overwintered plants, unless I pick off all the early flowers

does picking them off do any good or matter in any way? did not picking them off doom the plant to not make a good yield of peppers or something?

Well, I ate two, no burn at all. Like eating bell pepper. The third one was a tad larger with a slight burn. Two left I'll try em later.... I guess at that size no time for the capsacin to develop much...

One of my 1 year old yellow 7 pod plants has been producing small little pods like this all winter in the greenhouse. They're the only way I can say I've eaten a whole Y7P. :D

Back